NWA tells attendants price of rejection

I collected my unemployment from Michigan AFTER the AMFA filed a request to investigate nwa. If you are part of a LEGAL strike action you can get unemployment benefits in MI. It helps when the SCAB employer hires replacement SCABs months before the strike. They saw it our way.
Fair enough, and for what its worth, hey, its your money ya paid into the unemployment fund, you should be allowed to collect.
Is michigan still using that MARVIN program? I hear that streamlines things a bit.

NWA doesn't have enough strikebreakers hired to be F/A's to operate a full schedule. Try focusing on the facts you mental midget.
Really? Why is NWA negotiating a contract with a contract house with a employee bank of sixty thousand employees?

You are right aboout the topic though, just following locals lead. Let me fix that for you.

Why are you Quoteing an entire post when you are replying directly below it?

sixty thousand? :blink:
That’s the word that is out. Sixty thousand, I thought that was pretty far fetched myself but do remember that this is a "Global Economy". Northwest alone have over thirty thousand employees. It really isn't that outlandish for a national staffing company to amass that many people. Situations like this are where your minority immigrants come in to play. Don't you just love immigration?

may be 60 people but not 60thousand.
I get it PTO, you're including all the scabs and the striking mechanics, scab flight attendants, swissport, world wide flight service, timco, ect. ect. ect.
I'm gonna have to recommend you to do the PR job when it opens up.

Fair enough, and for what its worth, hey, its your money ya paid into the unemployment fund, you should be allowed to collect.

A common misconception. Unemployment compensation is paid from a payroll tax on employers. Workers do not pay into the fund. And, I just checked this morning with Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency, they do not supplement the employer tax with a worker tax. I keep seeing people post on here that their state has a worker tax, but I've yet to see proof of that. Every state I have called says that they do not have a worker tax.

The payroll tax is mandated under a Federal law passed during the Depression. It varies from 0.5% of total payroll up to 5% of total payroll based upon an employer's "experience" rating. Companies that hire and layoff frequently, and have a higher percentage of workers filing for unemployment insurance claims, pay a higher tax. Companies that have few unemployment insurance claims filed by workers pay a lower tax.

Because I FEEL like it butt munch!

You have to ask yourself as an investor is spending all of that money on contingency plans in the best interests of the creditors and shareholders??
If NWA makes it through BK and emerges profitable, it will be largely because of the development and execution of the contingency plans that were in place through the process, from the AMFA replacement, to the F/A contingency both during the mechanic strike and now. I would think that the creditors will certainly consider that funds well spent, when the abscense of those contingency measures would have likely resulted in liquidation, and thus a far greater financial loss for those creditors.

The AMFA replacement was obviously a monumental contingency plan, where the intent of the plan was more geared toward the likelihood of a complete replacement of the workforce.

With the F/A's, the shear numbers involved make it impossible to replace the workforce entirely, but the partial replacement contingency provides a much needed cushion in the event of a sick-out or some other action that is short of a strike. The minimal experience and training necessary to "create" a qualified F/A, combined with the relatively low pay for that type of work, make the contingency staff relatively inexpensive to maintain.

jimntx, in pa, it is up to the person on unemployment if they wish to have taxes taken out, which is automatically ( i think) 10%. I dont know if it is the same in Mich. but it may be. Also, in PA, the unemployment pay is based on the quarterly that was the highest prior to the lay-off or down grade to part time due to the company forcing you into lay off or part time. I hope that helps you a bit

finman, SCAB AIR had that plan in place to replace AMFA because they did not negogiate in good faith. I do know that if I were an investor of NWA, I would be pullin the plug as soon as applicable.
There was absolutely no excuse why mgmt couldnt of come up with a better contract that AMFA may have had to vote on. As for F/As, It takes more than a minimal to be one. They have to fully trained to handle numerous situations. I cant even imagine scabs being trained to be an F/A. I also highly doubt scabs could handle the job anyways. A good reference of poor job performance by scabs is already availabe--hence the maintaince department.

jimntx, in pa, it is up to the person on unemployment if they wish to have taxes taken out, which is automatically ( i think) 10%. I dont know if it is the same in Mich. but it may be. Also, in PA, the unemployment pay is based on the quarterly that was the highest prior to the lay-off or down grade to part time due to the company forcing you into lay off or part time. I hope that helps you a bit
I think Jimntx was making a clarification of who actually funds the unemployment insurance programs. As he correctly states, the employers fund the states' unemployment resources, which is why employers have a vested interest in who is elibible for unemployment payments. Employees do not directly pay into the unemployment insurance program, although it could be argued that any incremental "cost to employ" is monies that would have been available to pay to the employee in the form of higher wages.

Naturally, the individual that receives the unemployment payments has to pay personal income tax on that income.

in PA though if you dont want taxes to come out right away, then at the acutal tax time, the unemployment sends a special form and you have to decide how much you owe. I figure that jimntx was sayin something like but I thought I throw in my penny

What you fail to grasp is that the way NWA handled the AMFA situation may cause the F/A's to throw NWA under the bus and cause it's liquidation.
I don't think one really has any impact on the other. You think that if NWA had come to mutual terms with AMFA like was done with the pilots that the F/As would be more likely to ratify their agreement?

If anything, the manner in which NWA defeated the AMFA work action would lead F/A's to think twice before any work action of their own. They know that they will be immediately terminated if they do any picketing of any sort, and that sick calls are going to be refused by the schedulers and if they don't show up for work, they'll be terminated.

I think the F/A's are going to act in their own best interest and show up to work like the professionals that they are. They may vote down the T/A and risk losing the early out program and the favorable outsourcing language, but I hope they don't take your advice and risk pissing their job away.

I think at the end of the day, the T/A terms are still much better for a vast majority of these poeple than the alternatives they might find in other fields. I won't go into the reasons why, but I think an honest sampling of F/As would show that they're not indifferent as to whether their job at NWA continues to exist, thus I don't think there is much stomach for forcing a Ch.7.

very well said PineyBob. I'd recommend a no vote and tell the Butcher conehead to either negogiate in good faith or find another job. it cant get simpler than that

....I don't think one really has any impact on the other. You think that if NWA had come to mutual terms with AMFA like was done with the pilots that the F/As would be more likely to ratify their agreement?

If anything, the manner in which NWA defeated the AMFA work action would lead F/A's to think twice before any work action of their own....

I'm certain that they all have been giving second thoughts to their career futures with nwa. Like PineyBob says, "they can make more at the Olive Garden and sleep in their own beds at night".
Don't forget beancounter, nwa is still in BK. Nothing that is written down, signed on, agreed to or promised is set in cement. They can (and most likely will) come back with their big stick (the threat of no contract vis a vis the judge)and wag it in all of the groups faces until they're all making the industry MINIMUM.
For the recorn AGAIN Finman, nwa DID NOT BARGAIN IN GOOD FAITH WITH AMFA.

Back