Obama Freezes Iranian Government, Central Bank Assets in U.S. Read more on Newsmax.com: Obama Freez

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Obama Freezes Iranian Government, Central Bank Assets in U.S.

President Barack Obama ordered a freeze on all Iranian government and central bank assets held in the U.S. or any foreign branch of a U.S. entity, the White House announced today.

Previously, only assets belonging to sanctioned Iranian entities or individuals were frozen. The order signed by the president yesterday blocks all property and interests in property belonging to the Iranian government, its central bank, and all Iranian financial institutions, even those that haven’t been specifically designated for sanctions by the U.S. Treasury.

Longstanding U.S. regulations already prohibited American citizens or entities from virtually all direct and indirect transactions involving Iran or the government of Iran, aside from those exempted under general licenses for transactions involving food, medicine, remittances and humanitarian relief.

The measure was mandated as part of Iran sanctions legislation that was passed by Congress and signed by the president Dec. 31.

© Copyright 2011 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

just suppose it were the other way around:

Would WE consider this action an act of War id Iran did this to the US?

We've been fornicating around with this country since 1953 when the CIA toppled the Democratic Government and reinstalled the Shah. And twits like Bush, Romney, Gingrich, Santorum and Obama wonder why they hate us? Look into why we overthrew the Government in 1953. Short version was the Brits were upset over what Iran wanted to do with THEIR Oil. Imagine that!!! The audacity of a Sovereign nation exerting control over its natural resources.

If I were them I'd hate us too.

I got issue with Irans pro Israel policy.

Israel can turn Iran into a glass coffee table at the push of a few buttons. Israel is a sovereign nation that needs to manage it's own foreign policy free of outside intervention. If that includes nuking Iran into the stone age I'm OK with it. Just so long as we are not in harms way.

There may be some collateral damage involved with nuking a country into the Stone Age.

That would be an Israel/Europe problem. As POTUS I'd be more than happy to SELL Iran the goods to rebuild themselves. Give them a good price too. Otherwise they can haul their oil to market (Assuming anyone is left) on camels. We start drilling and building nuke plants here plue perfect the green technology and the whole ME can pound sand. Lord knows they have enough of it.

just suppose it were the other way around:

Would WE consider this action an act of War id Iran did this to the US?

We've been fornicating around with this country since 1953 when the CIA toppled the Democratic Government and reinstalled the Shah. And twits like Bush, Romney, Gingrich, Santorum and Obama wonder why they hate us? Look into why we overthrew the Government in 1953. Short version was the Brits were upset over what Iran wanted to do with THEIR Oil. Imagine that!!! The audacity of a Sovereign nation exerting control over its natural resources.

If I were them I'd hate us too.

I brought this up in a previous thread....you failed to address my post then. You brought up CIA speak Blowback.....well like I said before, we are now dealing with the results of previous US and British meddling into other countries affairs. I do not think for one moment if we said 'hey we sorry, we won't mess with you anymore' it will go away. Ron Paul I think in this aspect is somewhat off track. He knows damn well it won't go away now, so we got to deal with the results of our transgressions in the here and now.

That would be an Israel/Europe problem. As POTUS I'd be more than happy to SELL Iran the goods to rebuild themselves. Give them a good price too. Otherwise they can haul their oil to market (Assuming anyone is left) on camels. We start drilling and building nuke plants here plue perfect the green technology and the whole ME can pound sand. Lord knows they have enough of it.

And the US supported Israel before and up to and including the creation of the free state of Israel, and to this point and beyond I hope. How many countries support the mere existence of Israel? Duh? Why? Duh.
And don't try and bring up the Palestinian question when the Arab community dealt with it much like slaves in the US forever until it became a good issue to F**k with Israel over.
Are you aware Israel obtained nuclear capability from fissile material from the US?

Without US/Brit intervention, and all the petro dollars the ME would have obtained on their own......funding fundamental Islam with all those petro dollars, do you actually think the ME would really be any different today?

I'm sure after Israel nukes Iran, they'd be so touchy feely to our reintervention in their affairs after we have been labeled the great satan along with Israel for all these years, if your were POTUS. <_<

Israel can turn Iran into a glass coffee table at the push of a few buttons. Israel is a sovereign nation that needs to manage it's own foreign policy free of outside intervention. If that includes nuking Iran into the stone age I'm OK with it. Just so long as we are not in harms way.

Do you think that action may have an affect on the rest of the world?

I brought this up in a previous thread....you failed to address my post then. You brought up CIA speak Blowback.....well like I said before, we are now dealing with the results of previous US and British meddling into other countries affairs. I do not think for one moment if we said 'hey we sorry, we won't mess with you anymore' it will go away. Ron Paul I think in this aspect is somewhat off track. He knows damn well it won't go away now, so we got to deal with the results of our transgressions in the here and now.

Well it certainly won't go totally away ever, but it can improve very quickly at the governmental level. The beauty of being a Super power is we march out we can march right back in if we feel we need to. The truth is that with the spiraling debt we will be unable to sustain our empire and we will be out of the ME because we can't afford to be there. So the reality is long term we'd best figure out a way to get along with Iran while we can afford all the current options. So the question then becomes do we want to engage in an non interventionist policy and save our money OR continue on as now until we are broke and are forced to withdraw and base decisions on what we can afford?

And the US supported Israel before and up to and including the creation of the free state of Israel, and to this point and beyond I hope. How many countries support the mere existence of Israel? Duh? Why? Duh.
And don't try and bring up the Palestinian question when the Arab community dealt with it much like slaves in the US forever until it became a good issue to F**k with Israel over.
Are you aware Israel obtained nuclear capability from fissile material from the US?

Without US/Brit intervention, and all the petro dollars the ME would have obtained on their own......funding fundamental Islam with all those petro dollars, do you actually think the ME would really be any different today?

I'm sure after Israel nukes Iran, they'd be so touchy feely to our reintervention in their affairs after we have been labeled the great satan along with Israel for all these years, if your were POTUS. <_<

Support can be defined in a great many ways. I'm a firm believer that we ought to remain Israel's friend, just not its puppet master. Suppose Israel did nuke Iran? As a result a devastated Iran asks even the US for help. My approach is "You should have planned ahead, do you think now that running around screaming jihad worked out well for you?"

I was talking about your advocating killing a couple million people because you don't like their leader.

Reactions: 1 person
The understatement post of the year to date.

You are being nice to your freind Sparrow.

I like some of Ron Paul's policy positions. But this one is irresponsible.

Sparrow is entitled to his opinion uniquely guaranteed by the 1st amendment, I value him as an equal expressing his rights on this forum. Agreeing/disagreeing in the realm of the 1st amendment is why debate was and is a valuable asset to all.

I was talking about your advocating killing a couple million people because you don't like their leader.

I'm not advocating the death of anyone. If Israel does it that would be on them not the USA, especially if we aren't intervening in their affairs

Sparrow is entitled to his opinion uniquely guaranteed by the 1st amendment, I value him as an equal expressing his rights on this forum. Agreeing/disagreeing in the realm of the 1st amendment is why debate was and is a valuable asset to all.
What I posted had nothing to do with limiting his rights.

Latest posts