Operation Recovery

urpius pilot

Aug 9, 2004
The company has issued a special bulletin clarifying the invitation for off duty employees help out at PHL over the New Years weekend.

To All Employees ... Please Post ... Special Bulletin

The Associated Press ran a story on Tuesday evening
later picked up by other news media suggesting that
the company was asking employees to "work for free"
in Philadelphia on New Year's Eve. This unfortunate
and erroneous report has many people confused, and we
want to clarify this matter.

We have had management employees in Philadelphia since
last week helping with the baggage backlog. As we
prepare for another busy travel period this coming
weekend, we are asking for employee volunteers from
around the system to come to Philadelphia to help
assist our customers, by greeting them in the airport
ticket counter area, answering questions, serving
coffee and refreshments, helping at security
checkpoints and directing traffic. We know that many
frontline employees have been working extra hard this
past week, and this effort is designed to supplement
that hard work by having extra people on hand to help
our customers.

All employees scheduled to work in Philadelphia and at
other airports around the system will be paid as is
usual and customary, including overtime pay. We have
been getting many offers from employees who want to
help, and this effort will allow them to assist our
customers and provide some support for the Philadelphia
station.

We regret the confusion.

Are they giving people coming from other stations space positive tickets? Also, if a pilot "volunteers" their time are they really going to pay them their "customary" $90- $160 dollars an hour to serve donuts to the people in line?

I don't see anything in the Bulletin that says the "volunteers" will be paid. If I read it right all they did was spin the original document.

As the bulletin clearly states, the scheduled employees will receive their regular and, if applicable, overtime pay. The volunteers will be just that, volunteers. What is so difficult to understand about this effort. The company is simply saying that off duty employees are invited to help out their company and their fellow employees by supplementing the normal work force during this busy period.
EyeInTheSky said:
Are they giving people coming from other stations space positive tickets? Also, if a pilot "volunteers" their time are they really going to pay them their "customary" $90- $160 dollars an hour to serve donuts to the people in line?
[post="233205"][/post]​

CNN Headline News is still reporting that they want employees to work for free. Guess they didnt get the New memo?

tadjr said:
CNN Headline News is still reporting that they want employees to work for free. Guess they didnt get the New memo?
[post="233294"][/post]​

CNBC has reported 2-3 times, the clarification is that the "volunteers" will be paid...

US Airways News - 12/28/2004 03:37 PM

To: Volunteers
cc:

Subject: PHL Customer and Operation Recovery

Frontline management and employees have already been deployed to Philadelphia to assist with US Airways service recovery efforts there. But we have received a significant number of requests from other employees who want to help in our efforts to restore operations and customer service in PHL. These offers and concern are sincerely appreciated.

We need to continue to build service and customer relations as there will be of a high volume of travelers over the next several days.

If you can pitch in to assist, please contact Linda DuHart at dialnet 872-5067 or Lacey Roderick at dialnet 872-7411 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. We are focusing our volunteer efforts for the period of Thursday, Dec. 30 through Monday, Jan. 3. This is an opportunity to show our customers that we really are a team of dedicated professionals as well as to learn another aspect of our airline.

Also, if you know of fellow employees who are off and may not receive this email, please telephone them to see if they would be willing to volunteer.

Here are the details:

Time: Volunteers are needed between Thursday, Dec. 30, and Monday, Jan. 3. Volunteers are needed for the longest period of time possible, but we would appreciate any help you can lend. Ideally, volunteers would help the entire time period (Dec 30 - Jan 3), however two-day periods will be appreciated as well.

Where: Depending on your background and the needs for that day, you will be assigned a role. Possible roles include Meet and Greet at the ticket counter, security line, curbside, or baggage claim, as well as assistance on the ramp, in the baggage sorting area, etc.

Logistics: Space positive travel will be provided as well as hotel accommodations. The PHL Airport Marriott, second floor, Meeting Room One will be the central check in point. After checking in, you will be assigned a location and duty as well as information on your hotel.

What: This is a volunteer program. You will not be paid if this is on your day(s) off. It promises to be a rewarding opportunity to learn more about the operation of our airline and come face to face with our customers.

Don't forget: Bring your company ID, enough clothing for the number of days you are volunteering (for inside and outside work), a cell phone if you have one (and charger).

Your volunteer participation will make a difference. Thank you in advance for your dedication and support.

TELL ME THAT YOU ARE GOING TO WORK FOR FREE.

This airport (PHL) is short 50 employees every day it opens up that doesn't include OI or sick calls ...
This is just poor management and you promote it....... WHY?

Your self preservation attitude is boring me.....

You want me to work like I used to then treat me with the respect that have earned after 25yrs.

Management saw blood in the water with our wages and couldn't stop when they should have. Now oil is comming down do you think they will offer some relief to me, I doubt it but I bet when they show a small profit they will all get bonuses.
Or better yet just burry it in the colum labled OTHER expenses.

I hope the IAM attorneys are on their way right now to the Court seeking a restraining order blocking this blatant violation of the Contract.

Does this not say it all?

PHL is a mess...it always has been. The entire operation is grossly understaffed and the answer is for people to go there and work for free...as opposed to addressing the core problems head-on

Sure...I have always believed that U could be turned around...but it's going to take more than an all volunteer force for a few days to right things.

I wonder how many grievances will be filed when people from other classifications start doing other peoples work?

Your Honor....this is a prime example of what the leadership has allowed PHL to lapse into , all the while PIT is being dismantled and still performing well above par as always....and PHL problems didn't just happen as of 24 and 25 December of 2004 , the issues have always been there , it just achieved critical mass at the worst of all possible times.

I'm a firm believer in doing the right thing...and the right thing is for everyone to show up as directed , perform to expectation and beyond...but management has also got to assume responsibilty for what they have allowed PHL as a whole to lapse into. PIT and CLT cannot take on or offset the burden that PHL creates from within.

DCAFlyer, I'm with you, but I fear U has the IAM in a corner on this one, and the IAm will have to look the other way.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few sacrificial lambs were turned into a PHL burnt offering.

When has the company not taken EVERY advantage?

Sigh.

DCAflyer said:
I hope the IAM attorneys are on their way right now to the Court seeking a restraining order blocking this blatant violation of the Contract.
[post="233353"][/post]​

This is interesting. I forgot what school district here around Pittsburgh was taken to court recently on something similar. Anyway, the school's support staff: cafeteria, janitorial, clerical, assistants, nurses, all went on strike. The school tried to use parents in their roles. The union took them to court and the school was ordered not to allow parents to work in the strikers absence. After the court ruling the school district and the union worked out the differences quickly and they are all back to work. Interesting...

Doc:

Your attitdue on this board speaks volumes about yourself. Why don't you show some courage and resign from US Airways or at least take the buy out. It's clear you're not a team player.

In regard to the IAM attorney's, they better be getting their defendent suits on because I understand they're in for a big surprise. It's one thing to upset the company, it's another thing to upset the federal government.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Doc:

Your attitdue on this board speaks volumes about yourself. Why don't you show some courage and resign from US Airways or at least take the buy out. It's clear you're not a team player.

In regard to the IAM attorney's, they better be getting their defendent suits on because I understand they're in for a big surprise. It's one thing to upset the company, it's another thing to upset the federal government.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="233364"][/post]​

What can the company do, or the Federal Government, for that matter. The sick calls were not a union-sanctioned job action, hence, the IAM did nothing wrong. The Feds won't do jack about this.

Back