PI Dash 8-300 makes emergency landing at GSO

jimcfs

Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Athens, WV
www.cfld.com
Kudos to the crew on this one! Well done!! As one who had a similar experience on a US 737 about 10 years ago, I know how the passengers felt during landing.

Video

Plane Lands On 1 Engine At PTIA
Plane Returned To Airport After Mechanical Problem

POSTED: 10:38 am EDT July 24, 2008
UPDATED: 12:17 pm EDT July 24, 2008

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- A US Air flight with 53 people on board made an emergency landing Thursday morning at Piedmont Triad International Airport.

The plane landed shortly after 10:15 a.m. without its right propeller functioning properly. A WXII camera captured exclusive video of the plane landing safely with only one propeller turning.

The flight, number 4579, left from Greensboro, N.C., for Charlotte and returned after experiencing a problem in flight, passengers told WXII 12 News.

"We were about 10 minutes in the air, and we started to pulsate," one passenger said. "And I looked over, and (the engine) just cut out. I looked over and I saw that the other one was still moving. And then about two minutes later they made the announcement that one of (the engines) had stopped."

Guilford County fire and EMS units responded to the airport. No injuries were reported.

"We got a little bit nervous at first. My wife made a comment that one of the engines went down. It was nerve wracking – yes," another passenger said.

Passengers on the flight were being rebooked on other flights.

Nice work, captain.

One of the disadvantages of flying a propeller driven airplane is that everyone knows immediately when one quits and the pucker factor gets an immediate and sizable boost in the cabin before the pilots have a chance to say anything.

I'll bet Cameron Kent spends at least five minutes on the 11pm news tonight turning this mouse turd into a mountain. That's WXII's style.

Yes, nice work, Captain.

I'll bet Cameron Kent spends at least five minutes on the 11pm news tonight turning this mouse turd into a mountain. That's WXII's style.

Yes, nice work, Captain.

Well, WXII didn't spend 5 minutes on it, but Cameron did pour on the drama. The introduction for the not-too-exciting video was:

"There were some really [complete with bulging eyes, gizzard neck and voice inflection] scary moments for some US Airways passengers at PTI Airport today..."

Then again, the "Big Story" was that Cooter Brown had some catalytic converters stolen from underneath the autos in his used car lot out in Hooterville.

Slow news day here in INT. That's the way we like it in God's Country.

Well, WXII didn't spend 5 minutes on it, but Cameron did pour on the drama. The introduction for the not-too-exciting video was:

"There were some really [complete with bulging eyes, gizzard neck and voice inflection] scary moments for some US Airways passengers at PTI Airport today..."
Go figure. Sounds like the crew did a great job if the biggest concern to that one passenger was his vacation in Jamaica was cut short by one day.

This post is double ROT-13 encrypted to abate the snoops in Tempe.

Nice job guys! You kept it the way its supposed to go....... as a non event. Now go enjoy a cold one.

Denver, CO

In a stunning display of local Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism, the Winston-Salem Journal really botched the story and/or didn't check their facts. The article's headline this morning read "US Airways Jet Makes Emergency Landing at PTI." The copy went on to say it was a "regional jet." It's a friggin' Dash.

What's more sad is that the Piedmont Triad "International" Airport Director, Ted Johnson, was the source they quoted as saying it was a "regional jet." Johnson said he "didn't know where the jet was coming from."

Didn't US4579 originate in GSO? All Johnson had to do was look out the window. And you'd think an airport director would know if an aircraft was making an emergency landing at his field and trucks were rolling, don't you?

Sheesh.

In a stunning display of local Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism, the Winston-Salem Journal really botched the story and/or didn't check their facts. The article's headline this morning read "US Airways Jet Makes Emergency Landing at PTI." The copy went on to say it was a "regional jet." It's a friggin' Dash.

What's more sad is that the Piedmont Triad "International" Airport Director, Ted Johnson, was the source they quoted as saying it was a "regional jet." Johnson said he "didn't know where the jet was coming from."

Didn't US4579 originate in GSO? All Johnson had to do was look out the window. And you'd think an airport director would know if an aircraft was making an emergency landing at his field and trucks were rolling, don't you?

Sheesh.

Most Airport heads(directors, commissioners, operation managers, etc.) are nothing but clones that read from PR statements. They are not necessarily educated on various ac. Some are pros and some are political.

Maybe he wasn't even at the airport at the time, nor did US give their facts. Airport chiefs usually read statements that go along with the airlines assessment. Maybe all he sees is RJs and can't tell an RJ from a DC-9, but a prop and a jet are pretty much EASY to distinguish.

I'm not defending the moron, but just because he runs the a/p doesn't mean he has a clue of what's going on.