PIT invited to compete for US Airways center

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh invited to compete for US Airways center
Tuesday, August 29, 2006

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

US Airways wants Pittsburgh, Charlotte and Phoenix to compete for a new $25 million flight operations center employing 400 to 600 people -- a project that would supplant operations currently spread between Pittsburgh and Phoenix.

POST THE LINKY PLEASEEE..

Oh, get a Ouija board out -- it's all about money. They'll go with the city that offers the most money. Personally, I hope PIT tells them to shove it up their anus.

Later,
Eye

Well more then likely they want it at the airport or at a company facility, there is no room in PHL for it to be built.

I remember when it was between CLT and PIT for the new Training Center, Jerry Orr, the Director of Aviation in CLT, pulled out all the stops and he will do so again.

Plenty of land on the airport grounds and room in the hangar for it to be built.

Any reason Philly wasn't asked to offer incentives to locate it there too?
It's a cost/cost of living consideration. Philadelphia is much more expensive for airline workers than the other 3, especially Pittsburgh. Same applies to commercial real estate building/leasing costs. Regardless of what a city offers as initial incentives, the long term cost will still be borne by US. Also, Philadelphia IMO would never offer an incentive which approaches what could be expected from the other 3 for this type of operation. Pittsburgh could possibly obtain significant financial support from the State for any incentives because of it's economic situation and because of the risk of loosing jobs if the PIT center is closed.

I predict Charlotte. But, I'll admit, I have nothing to support it. Just a gut feeling!
I have that feeling too. I heard it was being considered, but not seriously, after the merger. Now, it is a serious contender. I have a feeling they have already received a very good offer from CLT, and are seeing if PIT or PHX can beat that offer. Locating SOC in CLT would mean moving 2 facilities instead of 1. The fact that they they are still considering CLT, despite the added moving expense, makes me think they are leaning in that direction.

My question is, how will the operation be divided during the time we are on one certificate, but in 2 facilities. There will no longer be "east" and "west" flights. Since the personnel in each facility will be "sharing" aircraft and crews, it might make sense to split up the workload between the facilities by aircraft.

Locating SOC in CLT would mean moving 2 facilities instead of 1. The fact that they they are still considering CLT, despite the added moving expense, makes me think they are leaning in that direction.

You're not thinking like US management. To them, moving 2 facilities is better than 1. That way, they get almost no workers from either facility to bother to make the move, and they get to staff the entire new CLT facility with new (read: cheap) workers.

Just like the game they played moving the engine shop back and forth until it settled in CLT, only minus a bunch of topped-out mechanics who gave up along the way.

You're not thinking like US management. To them, moving 2 facilities is better than 1. That way, they get almost no workers from either facility to bother to make the move, and they get to staff the entire new CLT facility with new (read: cheap) workers.

Just like the game they played moving the engine shop back and forth until it settled in CLT, only minus a bunch of topped-out mechanics who gave up along the way.
The lesser chance of losing employees would be CLT. PHX SOC would consider it and nearly half of OCC is Piedmont. That said still look for PHX but we will see.

Back