PIT OCC to close

AirLUVer said:
This was not a merger with an America West. This was a merger with a much larger and much older company. I can virtually guarantee that for every thirty year employee from US East, there are three 31 Year employees with AA.

Yes, but none of those 31 year AA employees will be at the gate trying to get to PIT, either.

Reactions: 1 person
nycbusdriver said:
Some from OCC in PIT will retire.  
Some will quit.  
Some will move (grateful to get away from PIT winters.,,not that the occasional Texas ice storms are much better...the operative word here being "occasional.")
Some will commute (be sure to list right at 24 hours before...your 3 decades of service count for NOTHING at the gate.)

Life will go on as it always has.  Welcome to the reality and glamor of working for an airline.
Not much sympathy from you brother. Some will indeed be forced to retire.Some will indeed seperate (quit). Job elimination (synergies) is what a merger is all about. Funny though.... DP stated we would need everybody. You or I may be next. No one is immuned to the company's future agenda of profitibality and return to the shareholders. 

Reactions: 2 people
ograc said:
Not much sympathy from you brother. Some will indeed be forced to retire.Some will indeed seperate (quit). Job elimination (synergies) is what a merger is all about. Funny though.... DP stated we would need everybody. You or I may be next. No one is immuned to the company's future agenda of profitibality and return to the shareholders. 

I understood that everybody was being offered a job in DFW.  If that's the case, then no one will be "forced" to retire.  

Somehow, I can't see how synergies will eliminate my job unless they figured out a way for one captain to fly several airplanes at the same time.  And, assuming that all the airplanes will still fly, then the PIT OCC staff will still be needed to support them because one dispatcher cannot handle the entire operation alone, either. 

I sympathize with the folks in OCC. In my 29.5 years here I have been based in ROA, BWI, SYR, DCA, PIT, GSO, LGA and now CLT - some by choice, most by necessity. Best wishes to all the OCC people. The scheduling department already knew a downsizing was coming due to PBS (preferential bidding system) so I hope the people there are offered other positions.

Piedmont1984 said:
I sympathize with the folks in OCC. In my 29.5 years here I have been based in ROA, BWI, SYR, DCA, PIT, GSO, LGA and now CLT - some by choice, most by necessity. Best wishes to all the OCC people. The scheduling department already knew a downsizing was coming due to PBS (preferential bidding system) so I hope the people there are offered other positions.
What about the USWest employees that were forced to move to PIT or quit/retire/commute/relocate? Some of them still within OCC may enjoy being a little closer to home after this relocation.

Also, how cost effective is it to maintain two different operations centers, or pay to move the larger number of people. The new AA has more people in the DFW IOC to relocate or pay off if they had decided the merged operations center were to be kept in PIT.

ograc said:
 Give that guy a cigar !!

Total jobs lost in the PIT and surrounding county areas since the "de-hubbing" now at about 13,000.

Some never understand until it affects them.

nycbusdriver said:

I understood that everybody was being offered a job in DFW.  If that's the case, then no one will be "forced" to retire.  

Somehow, I can't see how synergies will eliminate my job unless they figured out a way for one captain to fly several airplanes at the same time.  And, assuming that all the airplanes will still fly, then the PIT OCC staff will still be needed to support them because one dispatcher cannot handle the entire operation alone, either. 
Another thing you can be sure of is many will  not commute or transfer to DFW for various reasons. Caring  for elderly family members, hardships of transferring or commuting on family members, community involvement, trying to sell one's home in an already depressed housing market to name a few. I realize from where you sit you couldn't care less; but at the end of the day many senior experienced and well paid employees will seperate. Replaced in DFW with cheap, inexperienced and newly hired dispatchers. Mergers=Job loss=Synergies for shareholders, company officers and captains I guess. 

I know a few in OCC, and from what I'm hearing most will go to DFW. Keep in mind that not all of these guys are not from PIT to begin with. There are some still left from PI as well as the HP folks. I'm sure that a few are close to retirement, and may opt to go that route instead of moving.

Reactions: 2 people
ograc said:
Another thing you can be sure of is many will  not commute or transfer to DFW for various reasons. Caring  for elderly family members, hardships of transferring or commuting on family members, community involvement, trying to sell one's home in an already depressed housing market to name a few. I realize from where you sit you couldn't care less; but at the end of the day many senior experienced and well paid employees will seperate. Replaced in DFW with cheap, inexperienced and newly hired dispatchers. Mergers=Job loss=Synergies for shareholders, company officers and captains I guess. 

Don't give an air crew member (like me) any crap about not caring less.  No one showed much sympathy for the crews over the closure of MIA, ILM, ROA, ATL, GSO, BWI, ORF, LGA, SYR, BOS, PIT, SAN, SFO and even TYS.

Cry me a river.

Reactions: 5 people
nycbusdriver said:

Don't give an air crew member (like me) any crap about not caring less.  No one showed much sympathy for the crews over the closure of MIA, ILM, ROA, ATL, GSO, BWI, ORF, LGA, SYR, BOS, PIT, SAN, SFO and even TYS.

Cry me a river.
Divide and conquer. The strategy being played by the company. Divsion between work groups and within work groups. A strategy that, based on your post, is very effective. Turn one work group against another. Eventually they consume each other and the company proceeds with their strategy of "synergies' with the said merger. Although you may be spared, from your seat in the flight deck and the hardships many will have to endure, as a result of this merger, I would hope you can sympathize with those less fortunate than yourself. Additionally, I would like to ask; who chose to close the stations you mentioned? Your fellow employees? NO! The company chose to close the stations. Did your company have any sympathy in announcing the closures? Attention Flight Deck. Your real enemy is not who you think. We are victims as well. The ones who should be crying a river to you and others is the company. It's time to realize the common enemy.  

ograc said:
Divide and conquer. The strategy being played by the company. Divsion between work groups and within work groups. A strategy that, based on your post, is very effective. Turn one work group against another. Eventually they consume each other and the company proceeds with their strategy of "synergies' with the said merger. Although you may be spared, from your seat in the flight deck and the hardships many will have to endure, as a result of this merger, I would hope you can sympathize with those less fortunate than yourself. Additionally, I would like to ask; who chose to close the stations you mentioned? Your fellow employees? NO! The company chose to close the stations. Did your company have any sympathy in announcing the closures? Attention Flight Deck. Your real enemy is not who you think. We are victims as well. The ones who should be crying a river to you and others is the company. It's time to realize the common enemy.  
His point was we have been there done that and no-one cared.  No-one cares until it affects them personally.  I was once told by an agent in PIT that: "she personally thought I should have to live in base."  My reply: "I would have to live in a motor home."  I wonder how her commute is these days?

ograc said:
PHX , on deck! "Your next up."

MUTATIS MUTANDIS said:
PHX , on deck! "Your next up."
Birthday
April 1, 1949

I'll bet Phoenix will be around longer than you. April 1, 2014 will be a good day.

Adios Amiga

:lol: