PlaneBuzz-December 07, 2007

brokenwrench

Senior
Oct 27, 2006
www.amfadelta.com
It never fails to happen. I'm in the last throes of putting together an issue of PlaneBusiness Banter and a piece of news comes into the email box, or comes over the telephone that is so totally distracting that it then makes it very difficult to finish the issue at hand.

Today was one of those days.

The piece of news? That United Airlines has received the okay from some of its debt holders to essentially "give away" $250 million to shareholders in the form of a "special dividend." But wait, it gets better.

This is just the first giveaway. The airline has authorization to "give away" another $250 million.

I really don't have the words to describe how absolutely horrific I think this news is.

With United Airlines, you have an airline management team that enriched itself after an extended stay in bankruptcy at a level that far exceeded anything else ever seen before in this industry. Essentially the same management team that took the airline into bankruptcy in the first place.

Now that same management team -- the same one that also convinced a tottering bankruptcy judge and the PBGC that it was incapable of paying its pension obligations -- that same management team is going to give away $250 million to its shareholders.

And not a dime to its employees.

Oh, it is not that I am not aware of "why" the airline has chosen to do this. But I guess I just never thought they would actually do it.

All I can say tonight to the management team at United is this -- good luck.

Good luck getting your employees to do anything -- anything -- above and beyond what is minimally required of them.

Good luck in expecting those same employees to provide the level of service that you keep saying is going to be part of your "premium product offering."

Good luck in attracting any of the best and the brightest in this industry who might be considering a position with your company.

Good luck in your misguided efforts to "maximize shareholder value."

Last time I looked, the airline industry is still, no matter what CEO Glenn Tilton or CFO Jake Brace, or the Board of Directors at United Airlines seem to believe -- a service industry.

But if these people think that providing the best passenger service can ever be a possibility after this latest slap in the face to every United Airlines' employee -- they are solely mistaken.

United management -- you've made your decision.

United shareholders -- I hope you enjoy your $2 and change dividend.

United employees -- good luck.

Ticker: (Nasdaq:UAUA)

Technorati Tags: airline industry news, airline stocks, airline unions, airlines, United Airlines, wall street

Posted by Holly at 05:40 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

"All right now
I served my Country well
When it came time to pay
They pay what they said they would"

"All right now
I served my Airline well
When it came time to pay
They just kept it (all) for themselves"

It appears these jokers are positioning themselves to sell an ad. for Virgra.

Just one more nice way to give yourself a heck of a bonus and still sleep at night because you shared with "all" the shareholders....

"All right now
I served my Country well
When it came time to pay
They pay what they said they would"

"All right now
I served my Airline well
When it came time to pay
They just kept it (all) for themselves"

It appears these jokers are positioning themselves to sell an ad. for Virgra.

You noticed that they could not give dividends during the ESOP.
They also claim that they cannot invest in our infrastructure.
Except for IFE (if they can ever get it to fly... :lol: )
Yea, we are hosed...

Take Care 06, nice to see some of the old dogs still hanging around... :up:

B) UT

The total cost of this will be about $750 million - a big chunk of cash and cash equivalents. UAL had to pay down it's credit facility by $500 million in order to meet the requirements necessary to make this payment to shareholders.

Ah, NOT TO WORRY !

donttouchthebeauty will PICK UP the slack, for the Company she loves, in the production area !

All UAL is trying to do is boost the price of its stock B4 the payout date. If you want some quick easy cash, United will accomplish what it is setting out to do. However, one needs to go beneath the surface and ask why is United doing this NOW. I suspect the answer is United is trying to raise money to either paydown debt and/or make it attractive as a TAKEOVER candidate. Whatever, Tilton needs to position the company and accomplish everything before the Bush Administration is gone for good.

Ah, NOT TO WORRY !

donttouchthebeauty will PICK UP the slack, for the Company she loves, in the production area !

AHHH NHBB, looks like you were most absent from all the stuff going on over on the AA board... I guess you "choose" to comment on what you want, therefore here you are again ranting on the UAL site... At least were not the first ones to start selling off.. Don't worry, you still have that pension NHBB!!! LOL... Enjoy your holiday NHBB, I know I will, I move into my new loft on the 17th!!!

Keep in mind that Tilton's mission (and he's chosen to accept it), is to merge UA to anyone willing. Given that, UA is not going to invest any large sums in infrastructure, including large aircraft orders, terminal modifications, etc. Everything will be piecemeal. That's also why they're going to spin off Mileage Plus and United Services. It's all designed to make them more attractive to another carrier.

Keep in mind that Tilton's mission (and he's chosen to accept it), is to merge UA to anyone willing. Given that, UA is not going to invest any large sums in infrastructure, including large aircraft orders, terminal modifications, etc. Everything will be piecemeal. That's also why they're going to spin off Mileage Plus and United Services. It's all designed to make them more attractive to another carrier.

But it just keeps coming back to this point, if United merges, it would most likely be the entity taking over because its so much larger than any of its potential merging partners. The second point, any United/Carrier X merger would have to be approved by regulatory officials which would mean significant divestment of some gates/slots for more competition. I just don't see anyone who's willing to take the cuts necessary to make a UAL merger work. It's just way to big.

Playing Devil's Advocate: Holly failed to mention that the $250 mil included $20 mil for employee shareholders.

If you were stupid enough to hold them... :shock:
Didn't the ESOP teach you anything?
The 'BIG BOYS' are holding stock, not us trench workers.........

B) UT