Question for you AA guys about DWH

topDawg

Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
So it has been a long long time since I have been in the hangar, can someone remind me how big it is(ie how many airplanes tailed in and doors shut) 

Also can it take a 77W tail first and doors shut? 

Thanks much. 

Since we have no docking, we are pretty flexible in how many airplanes we can get in here. Probably up to 4 777 and 3 or 4 narrow bodies depending on type. Yes we do accomodate a 777-300 on a regular basis. Btw we are far from being an oh facility. This operation is more like a line hangar than an overhaul.

Are there gong to be any transfers to DWH or DFW?
Idk about dfw but it sure seems unlikely here at dwh. There have been a handful of guys that bumped into the shops that have upgraded. I hear maybe 10 more to be upgraded soon. That's about it. We stand at 162 AMTs right now. That's not counting AMTO,INSP,TCC or CC.

dvlhog212 said:
Since we have no docking, we are pretty flexible in how many airplanes we can get in here. Probably up to 4 777 and 3 or 4 narrow bodies depending on type. Yes we do accomodate a 777-300 on a regular basis. Btw we are far from being an oh facility. This operation is more like a line hangar than an overhaul.
Just for your information, the overhaul base AA walked away from here at MCI, has two docks that can handle 777's with doors closed, along with eight narrow body docks, two of which can handle aircraft up to, and including, 767's, with door cut outs. Plus all shops necessary to support maintenance up to, and including overhaul. A separate building dedicated to engine overhaul, with engine test cells, including one that can handle the P/W JT-9, or RR RB211 engines.

Reactions: 1 person
MCI transplant said:
Just for your information, the overhaul base AA walked away from here at MCI, has two docks that can handle 777's with doors closed, along with eight narrow body docks, two of which can handle aircraft up to, and including, 767's, with door cut outs. Plus all shops necessary to support maintenance up to, and including overhaul. A separate building dedicated to engine overhaul, with engine test cells, including one that can handle the P/W JT-9, or RR RB211 engines.

How many 767's or 777's fly into MCI?

At DFW all they have to do is taxi the aircraft to DWH.

MCI transplant said:
You left out the 70 years of accumulated toxic waste below the floor... ;)

MCI transplant said:
How about the overhaul base AA walked away from at AFW? State of the art facility that could handle 7 WB aircraft......with doors closed too!

Rogallo said:

May take a day or two, but it'll get there!  lol.
Amen to that!  We landed tonight at 1920 (almost 30 minutes early).  Didn't get to our gate until almost 1940 (then had to wait because the gate was still occupied.)  We taxied so long I was beginning to think that the guys accidentally landed us at Wichita Falls, and decided to taxi the rest of the way rather than admit their mistake.  :lol:  No good deed goes unpunished.  

dvlhog212 said:

Thanks. So You guys don't have any tail docks? IIRC the hangar had four tail docks with Delta and they fit into cut out areas in the back of the bays. From what I remember it was set up a lot like TOC 2 in ATL. Every bay had tail docks in a recessed area and then the half bays were large enough for narrow body's to be backed in.  Sound about right? 

I can't remember what checks Delta did in Dallas anymore. I think they did some 757 work, but I know the Maddogs, 727, 737, 757, 767 and M11 overhauls were done in Atlanta. I think Dallas did L10 work too. 
MCI transplant said:
Not to start a pissing contest here, but how many test cells did MCI have? 

and it didn't have any 747 sized bays? (or docks as you AA guys call them) where did TWA do 747 overhauls?

The docks delta had(two 757 docks) at DWH served no purpose for us. The 757's will be going away and our 767's with winglets would't fit the docks so out they came. DWH is just a junk crew for DFW so an empty hangar serves us well.

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
What about the accumulated toxic waste in the TWU?
What about the fact that we have the right under federal law to remove that toxic waste? And even though the majority obviously want out, too many are not willing to take a stand. From the TWU Officers that know the truth but have no guts, to the guy who signed a card and because his coworkers badger him, he crawls back to to get the card to show them he repented. We have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Latest posts