Replacement Scabs

PlayTheOdds

Veteran
Sep 1, 2005
Contract and the South
Visit site
NWA's advertising campaign for A&P's has paid off for them. They had a bank of 180 mechanics lined up to replace us as we leave. They just brought 40 of those on full time to fill in the current and upcoming vacancies. Here is the killer part, I met my replacement today. Just from what I observed today he seems to be a good mechanic but what I found most interesting about him was his hat of all things. It was a blue Boeing hat covered with logo pins, the majority being AA. :lol: He said he was laid off from AA about a year and a half ago and was stationed at JFK. You guys are indeed the breeding grounds for Scabs. :down: I strongly suggest you guys never go on strike for you have way to many mechanics out there on furlough. You will be replaced by your own people at the drop of a hat.

pto re read that post you wrote. the guy was LAID OFF a yr and a half ago. the sad realty is he probably couldnt get a better job elsewhere so he felt the "need" to work for scab air. and with the way SCAB AIR treats their employees, yeah they will have a higher turnover rate than they could imagine

It's a shame (though not unexpected) that you're last few days at NW are spent spewing flamebait on these boards.

I'm sure you can do better. :rolleyes:

P.S. Your attempt to incite the masses would have been better placed on the AA boards; to most of us at NWA, it doesn't matter where you are from-you're still a scab.

NWA's advertising campaign for A&P's has paid off for them. They had a bank of 180 mechanics lined up to replace us as we leave. They just brought 40 of those on full time to fill in the current and upcoming vacancies. Here is the killer part, I met my replacement today. Just from what I observed today he seems to be a good mechanic but what I found most interesting about him was his hat of all things. It was a blue Boeing hat covered with logo pins, the majority being AA. :lol: He said he was laid off from AA about a year and a half ago and was stationed at JFK. You guys are indeed the breeding grounds for Scabs. :down: I strongly suggest you guys never go on strike for you have way to many mechanics out there on furlough. You will be replaced by your own people at the drop of a hat.
:lol: :lol: :lol: another PTO TALL TALE, It never ends with that head case.

This could turn out to be a situation where NWA wins the battle and loses the war...Could happen couldn't it?
I don't think it will go that far but the possibility does exist. I would not go so far as to rule it out. Some of these guys they are bringing in are experienced mechanics but the majority are green, I do mean fresh out of A&P School. You also have the, I don't give a shet attitude from a good portion of the AMFA Scabs which is affecting the maintenance performance and lowers moral among the other mechanics. Just today me and an AMFA Scab pull up to a three twenty with a short turn, twenty eight minutes on the clock "oil check required." As we pull up to the aircraft I see that the R/H Nav light is out. I tell him to go ahead and service the oils and I will go get a bulb and lift truck to relamp the light. He said, "don't bother we'll defer it." I say, "It's a single system and a deferral will restrict this aircraft to daytime operations only." His response, "I don't care." I told him that I would take care of the light and not to worry about it. If these guys hate it here so much why did they even come back?

I don't think it will go that far but the possibility does exist. I would not go so far as to rule it out. Some of these guys they are bringing in are experienced mechanics but the majority are green, I do mean fresh out of A&P School. You also have the, I don't give a shet attitude from a good portion of the AMFA Scabs which is affecting the maintenance performance and lowers moral among the other mechanics. Just today me and an AMFA Scab pull up to a three twenty with a short turn, twenty eight minutes on the clock "oil check required." As we pull up to the aircraft I see that the R/H Nav light is out. I tell him to go ahead and service the oils and I will go get a bulb and lift truck to relamp the light. He said, "don't bother we'll defer it." I say, "It's a single system and a deferral will restrict this aircraft to daytime operations only." His response, "I don't care." I told him that I would take care of the light and not to worry about it. If these guys hate it here so much why did they even come back?
Which would lead to the question, Why are you still there? Do us all a favor and "Grab your Cane pole and move on down the river, Boy"!

nope. Don't believe you anymore. :ph34r:

Pineybob, I believe from the conversations I've had with some friends of mine that the accounting of training employees and individual departments are seperate.

If the training was accounted in that individual department, I would think that they would identify this problem right away. For example the flight attendant training expenditure will not come from inflight, rather from a seperate budget account where all the training from all departments are lumped into one.

For example the flight attendant training expenditure will not come from inflight, rather from a seperate budget account where all the training from all departments are lumped into one.

I believe you're correct. I've always been told that training (at least for ground ops) expenditures come from "a different budget."

:lol: :lol: :lol: another PTO TALL TALE, It never ends with that head case.

No shitzky! We've all seen that SCABS for the most part seem to be dysfunctional people who have a bad employment history. Anyone who is more practical and has any common sense wouldn't SCAB.

Continuing education ought to be a way of life rather than simply a passing thought. Contine your education and know that you will never have to SCAB.

... I met my replacement today. ...He said he was laid off from AA about a year and a half ago and was stationed at JFK.

A SCAB is a SCAB...I don't feel any differently toward this schmuck than I feel toward any of the SCABs at nwa. Now he's traded JFK for DTW! Some choice. nwa now has to train him and look the other way as he makes his OJT mistakes the same as they do for all of the replacement SCABs. I wonder if their still tapping that $100M they set aside for our strike action to train these nomads?

I believe you're correct. I've always been told that training (at least for ground ops) expenditures come from "a different budget."
Training expenses are budgeted at the departmental level. I.E., training of ground employees is budgeted and hits a ground ops objective (expense category). The training expenses are likely the only item budgeted in that particular objective, which may be the reason you were told they come from "a different budget". As such, these expenses are scrutinized at the departmental level and would not be allowed to grow to the point where they are offsetting other departmental cost reductions.

Hope this helps.

Training expenses are budgeted at the departmental level. I.E., training of ground employees is budgeted and hits a ground ops objective (expense category). The training expenses are likely the only item budgeted in that particular objective, which may be the reason you were told they come from "a different budget". As such, these expenses are scrutinized at the departmental level and would not be allowed to grow to the point where they are offsetting other departmental cost reductions.

Hope this helps.

So you're saying at some point they are going to stop robbing Peter to pay Paul? If the expense goes over budget won't they just adjust the budget forecast or set up a different category and fund the training through some back door? They will still write it off as a business expense. Maintenance hasn't been a profit center at nwa...its always been a cost. Your comment does help the discussion this time Beanie. Thanks.

Hope this helps.

It does. It articulates better what I was trying to put across.

Historically on the ramp, if someone worked,say, 16 hours of double time in a week a manager would go absolutely beserk (sp?). But send that same employee for training with the same hours/pay rates involved, and the manager doesn't much mind, as the wages are coming from a different budget (or "cost center").

It does. It articulates better what I was trying to put across.

Historically on the ramp, if someone worked,say, 16 hours of double time in a week a manager would go absolutely beserk (sp?). But send that same employee for training with the same hours/pay rates involved, and the manager doesn't much mind, as the wages are coming from a different budget (or "cost center").
That certainly happens. Cost centers within a department are usually looking out for their own budget, and are more than happy to dump an expense on another cost center. It's the responsibility of the department controller (and rest of departmental finance group) to ensure that this doesn't happen to the detriment of the department as a whole.