Rj Seat Capacity

AAStew

Veteran
Feb 24, 2003
Does anyone know, on the RJ's that show 44 seat capacity, do those actually hold 50 pax's? I know it is a negotiated clause of the pilot contract, but does the plane actually have 50 seats in it? Thanks.

No we have 4 different size jets the 70 seat CRJ, and 3 different Embraers 37, 44, and 50. All we are taking delivery of now are 70 and 50 seat aircraft.

thanx Chickenpilot, BTW do you call yourself that because you work for chickenfeed? I Hope so!!!

well I guess its chickenfeed but mostly because of that bleeding chicken we have on the tail of all ou airplanes

Oh, okay...Bleeding chicken, never looked at it that way. Thanks again!

AAStew,

The 44-seater only has 44 seats (not 50). However, an interesting sidenote is that the whole reason why Embraer produced the 44-seater is APA's scope clause. It was an AA special order. The 44-seater is the exact same airplane as the 50-seater with two rows of seats removed.

Of course, now that the Scope clause allows the potential for as many as 660+ 50 seaters, AA really has no reason to buy any more 44 seaters.

Well chicken did say only 50+ seaters were on order. Bob Crandall probably was prophetic saying he would be happiest with the airline only flying transcons and Internationally. It looks to me that is the way it is going. Probably the only way for us to get in the black again someday. Everything has to change...(heavy sigh here).

AAStew said:
Well chicken did say only 50+ seaters were on order. Bob Crandall probably was prophetic saying he would be happiest with the airline only flying transcons and Internationally. It looks to me that is the way it is going. Probably the only way for us to get in the black again someday. Everything has to change...(heavy sigh here).
AA Stew,
You are SO right about the "Crandall" statement.
(And to think "uncle Bobby" make his predictions PRE 9/11)
Crandall had his "negatives" for sure, BUT on the "flip side", the man "has never", "does'nt now", and will NEVER have an Equal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

NHBB,
I know this sounds sick and you being retired and everything but it is times like these I miss Uncle Bobby....
I could get started on Uncle Bobby stories but I don't want to get too sentimental...

Actually, The 44 seat ERJ140 is NOT the same plane as the ERJ145. It's about 6 feet shorter, and is certified to a 2300 pound lower gross weight. It's technically a EMB135KL, which is a stretched version of the EMB135LR, the heavyweight version of the 37 seater. That said, it's actually a mixture of parts from everywhere. All members of the ERJ family use the same wing and tail. The 135 and 140 use the AE3007 A1/3 engine while most 145's have the uprated A1P version. The 140 landing gear is identical to the 145LR. The 140 was designed specifically for the APA scope provision, which used to restrict aircraft CERTIFIED for more than 44 seats. The shorter fuselage was used to make it a specifically 44 seat plane, since an airframe certified for 50 seats could not be used. The only operators are Eagle and Chautauqua (American Connection). Hope this clears it up a little.

AAStew said:
NHBB,
I know this sounds sick and you being retired and everything but it is times like these I miss Uncle Bobby....
I could get started on Uncle Bobby stories but I don't want to get too sentimental...
AAStew,
One thing for sure is that RLC would have approached this "shared sacrifice" crap, a different way.
He would have turned more mainline flying over to A/E, which would have resulted in a couple of things.

Cost savings.
Mainline LAYOFFS,( which have been a reality in this industry since "ADAM + EVE")
And
No pay cuts for the mainline people who remained working(SENIORITY) !!!!!!!!!

Sound selfish ???? "HEL* NO" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When a union is faced with a FINAL choice of protecting ALL THE JOBS, or SENIORITY, the answer is that SENIORITY can NEVER EVER be breeched, NEVER.

The correct terminology that the unions used in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's was "We will "TRY" to protect as many of our jobs "AS POSSIBLE".

Meaning that SENIORITY can NEVER be breeched, EVER.

But when you factor in "spineless" A$$ HOLES like Ward + Little, who have NO conception of the "DNA" of organized labor, well then we wind up with the "####-u-ation" that you're unfortunately in now.

NH/BB's

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
Cost savings.
Mainline LAYOFFS,( which have been a reality in this industry since "ADAM + EVE")
And
No pay cuts for the mainline people who remained working(SENIORITY) !!!!!

Sound selfish ???? "HEL* NO" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When a union is faced with a FINAL choice of protecting ALL THE JOBS, or SENIORITY, the answer is that SENIORITY can NEVER EVER be breeched, NEVER.

The correct terminology that the unions used in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's was "We will "TRY" to protect as many of our jobs "AS POSSIBLE".

Meaning that SENIORITY can NEVER be breeched, EVER!!!!!
NH/BB's
NHBB,
AMEN AMEN AND AMEN!!!!
You have quoted so eloquently what I have tried to post here unsuccessfully lately!
Seniority is it!!! It and layoffs, furloughs, whatever you wan to call it have always been a part of our industry! I am so tired of the whining....I have survived 5, count them 5 airlines! I have been with AA now 14 years and am 43 years old! I have no seniority!
I am not being facetious when I say you brough tears to my eyes, I was feeling selfish lately because that is what I have always believed!
Thank you NHBB! XXX

NHBB
I concur. Been here twenty some years and its always been said "all we have left is our seniority." Been told wait ur turn you get "c", one day at a time like everyone else. We have alot of younger cry babies, who right away run to the union or HR when their low "C" can only hold a shi++y job.
" That's not fair" life isn't fair, your mom and pop tried to be fair. Seniority is fair to those who have it and if you don't likr it go find another non-union job that pays $20/hr

AAStew said:
NHBB,
AMEN AMEN AND AMEN!!!!
You have quoted so eloquently what I have tried to post here unsuccessfully lately!
Seniority is it!!! It and layoffs, furloughs, whatever you wan to call it have always been a part of our industry! I am so tired of the whining....I have survived 5, count them 5 airlines! I have been with AA now 14 years and am 43 years old! I have no seniority!
I am not being facetious when I say you brough tears to my eyes, I was feeling selfish lately because that is what I have always believed!
Thank you NHBB! XXX
AA Stew,
Don't discount your 14 years. THEY MEAN SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They mean that(seniority wise)you respect every union F/a in front of you, and would never want to be the reason they were inpacted ($$$$$$$) just to keep you working.

on the other hand,
NOBODY behind you has the right to expect ANYTHING that would impact you($$).

Problem is, A$$ HOLES like JW, are in the sack with AA.

Back to your 14 years, if you can put up with this crap until EARLY RETIREMENT(55), you'll be looking at 25+ years. That should allow you to hold some "cushy" international trips, if you so desire. Your best day's are ahead.

NH/BB's

Latest posts

Back