Rommney/ Illegal aliens

Jan 7, 2004
Red Planet
Mr. Russert asked about articles that said Mr. Romney appeared to back Mr. McCain and Mr. Bush on "comprehensive immigration reform," which includes a path to citizenship and a guest-worker program. Mr. Romney said he called those approaches "reasonable," but that doesn't mean he supported them and said his position now is clearer.

"The 12 million or so that are here illegally should be able to sign up for permanent residency or citizenship,
but they should not be given a special pathway, a special guarantee that all of them get to stay here for the rest of their lives merely by virtue of having come here illegally," he said. "That, I think, is the great flaw in the final bill that came forward from the Senate."

I cannot with good conscience, and will not vote for anyone who supports Amnesty to law breakers...!!!!!

...that means Huckabee as well.

A President who does'nt take securing our borders as a serious priorty in my minds eye has no buisness leading this Nation.

I cannot with good conscience, and will not vote for anyone who supports Amnesty to law breakers...!!!!!

...that means Huckabee as well.

A President who does'nt take securing our borders as a serious priorty in my minds eye has no buisness leading this Nation.

Local,

What if a President would offer some form of amnesty to people currently in the country, but would sercure our borders through strict enforcement and procedure, secure our ports, build a fence, create financial disincentives to companies who hire illegal immigrants etc...

The President might take the task of securing our border very seriously but still recognize that BOTH securing our border AND kicking out everyone who is already in the country is logistically difficult and financially disasterous. Would you vote for a president who would actually secure our border but offer amnesty to those "grandfathered in"?

Local,

What if a President would offer some form of amnesty to people currently in the country, but would sercure our borders through strict enforcement and procedure, secure our ports, build a fence, create financial disincentives to companies who hire illegal immigrants etc...

The President might take the task of securing our border very seriously but still recognize that BOTH securing our border AND kicking out everyone who is already in the country is logistically difficult and financially disasterous. Would you vote for a president who would actually secure our border but offer amnesty to those "grandfathered in"?

I am more curious what the cost will be for "securing" our borders and how that price compares with the finical burden of the folks who are already here.

Seems to me that a better way to secure our border would be to help the nations where the people are coming from so that there is less of an incentive for them to come here in the first place.

I seriously doubt we can secure our borders.

Local,

Ya know we dont have to round up 12 million illegals (some estimates as high as 20 million) and kick them out, you turn the faucet off and the flow will stop. If we penalize in a robust and serious manner those who hire Illegals they will have no choice but to become legal or GTFH!

Its putting severe hardships on the American taxpayer to subsidize those who choose to skirt the system and reap the rewards, it also hurting our hospitals, our school systems, our prision system. The gangs and drug trafficking in some states is starting to mirror mexico itself, I read a recent article and I will try to find it for you that the LA Police try to avoid certain areas altogether because of the extreme danger of violent drug cartel gangs who will kill anyone who treads on their turf.

NO i say if your here illegally its time to go home and go thru the process just like everyone else in the world has to, you need to learn the language of this country and assimilate, pay taxes, and become an "American First" and be a Mexican second, or Irishman second, or German second, or Russian second...I think you get my point!

Seems to me that a better way to secure our border would be to help the nations where the people are coming from so that there is less of an incentive for them to come here in the first place.

Well lets hear your proposal Gar, how do we help a corrupt government such as mexico? we already give them Billions to stem the tide of drug trafficking, and guess how thats turned out for us. What do you suggest?

One must ask...WHY, does this government (headed by the number one OPEN BORDERS SUPPORTER GEORGE BUSH) not seal the boarder with the number 1 entryway of ALL illegal drugs into America (worth BILLIONS).

Mexico has become a cancer to the American nation. We need surgery....yesterday!

One must ask...WHY, does this government (headed by the number one OPEN BORDERS SUPPORTER GEORGE BUSH) not seal the boarder with the number 1 entryway of ALL illegal drugs into America (worth BILLIONS).

Mexico has become a cancer to the American nation. We need surgery....yesterday!

CORRUPTION!!!!!!!!!

Oh..you mean like this?

Ex-Official at Agency Guilty of Harboring Illegal Resident

By Jerry Markon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 19, 2007; B08

A former top official for the federal agency that processes immigration applications, whose job was to ferret out corruption at his office, was convicted yesterday of harboring an illegal immigrant at his Centreville home.

A federal jury in Alexandria convicted Lloyd W. Miner of allowing the woman to live with him, paying her expenses and providing her with perks, including a black convertible with Fraternal Order of Police license plates personalized with her name. Miner was dating the immigrant, a Mongolian woman who was also convicted yesterday of immigration fraud.

When federal agents began investigating Miner last year, his title was deputy assistant chief of internal affairs at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, which is responsible for granting citizenship, green cards and other immigration benefits. His job was to investigate allegations of corruption and to perform security checks on employees. Miner joined the agency, part of what was formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service, in 1987.

Chris Bentley, a spokesman for Immigration Services, said yesterday that Miner, 49, has been fired and that the case "is an isolated event that in no way reflects the professional demeanor and the manner in which our 16,000 employees approach their jobs every day."

Miner's prosecution grew out of another case involving a top official at the agency. Robert T. Schofield, a supervisor, pleaded guilty last year to accepting more than $600,000 in bribes in exchange for falsifying immigration documents to help Asians obtain U.S. citizenship.

When federal agents searched Schofield's house last year, they found a photograph of him with a woman he had gone to meet in Southeast Asia. In the background was Miner, who had gone on the trip with Schofield, according to testimony at Miner's trial. Agents recognized Miner and began investigating him.

Schofield, who is serving a 15-year prison sentence, testified at Miner's two-day trial in U.S. District Court in Alexandria. After deliberating for about 4 1/2 hours, the 12-member jury convicted Miner of one count of harboring an illegal alien and one count of encouraging and inducing an illegal alien to reside in the United States. He was acquitted of helping the woman obtain a false identity document. He faces a maximum of 10 years in prison at his sentencing March 7.

"Of course, there is irony when you catch the guy who is supposed to be enforcing the law breaking the law himself," said Ira Mehlman, spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, which favors tough enforcement of immigration laws.

Mehlman said he found no deeper meaning in the case. "It just shows that nobody is exempt from the human foibles that sooner or later trip up most of us," Mehlman said.

Miner's attorney, John Gullette, said he was surprised by the verdict.. "He just thought she was just a student and had visa problems, but he had no idea he was committing a crime by allowing this girl he fell in love with to live with him," Gullette said.

The woman, Tsomorlig Batjargal, 21, was convicted of immigration fraud for obtaining a driver's license in Washington state when Virginia would not renew hers because she was not a legal resident. Prosecutors said she came to the United States legally but overstayed her student visa starting in 2004. She and Miner met at a social club in the District.

Prosecutors said Miner, who is divorcing his wife, got Batjargal a gym membership and paid other expenses, according to trial testimony. He was acquitted of helping her obtain a driver's license in Washington state.

Gullette said Miner and Batjargal are engaged, but the relationship might end if she is deported.

:lol:

Well lets hear your proposal Gar, how do we help a corrupt government such as mexico? we already give them Billions to stem the tide of drug trafficking, and guess how thats turned out for us. What do you suggest?

My first suggestion is to by pass the government. Just as our government is corrupt, so is theirs. The aid should be going directly to the people. It should be going to grass roots organizations that can be monitored such as Habitat for Humanity here in he US. I have other ideas and I just do not feel like going into them now.

My first suggestion is to by pass the government. Just as our government is corrupt, so is theirs. The aid should be going directly to the people. It should be going to grass roots organizations that can be monitored such as Habitat for Humanity here in he US. I have other ideas and I just do not feel like going into them now.

Gar habitat for humanity is already a reality, but you can't just bypass the government. They have stricter border crossing laws than we have and they enforce them. :shock:

http://www.habitat.org/intl/lac/133.aspx

I know, perhaps we could ship all our jobs south. :angry:

While we're on the subjection of corruption:

Greg Palast writes for the Guardian and Observer newspapers of London and reports for the BBC’s Newsnight. Palast abandoned hopes of working in America when mainstream press failed to report on his groundbreaking exposes known for stripping bare abuses.

In the months leading up to the November [2000] balloting, Florida Governor Jeb Bush and his secretary of state, Katherine Harris, ordered local elections supervisors to purge 58,000 voters from registries on the grounds they were felons not entitled to vote in Florida. As it turns out, only a handful of these voters were felons. The voters were [about 54%] African Americans, and most of the others were white and Hispanic Democrats. Three weeks after the election, this extraordinary news ran on page one of the country’s leading paper. Unfortunately, it was in the wrong country: Britain. In the USA, it was not covered. It was given big network TV coverage. But again, it was on the wrong continent—on BBC TV, London. (pp. 195, 196)

The office of the governor [also] illegally ordered the removal of felons from the voter rolls—real felons—but with the right to vote under Florida law. As a result, 50,000 of these voters could not vote. The fact that 90% of these voters were Democrats should have made it news because this maneuver alone more than accounted for Bush’s victory. (pp. 197-200)

In February 2001, I took my BBC film crew to Florida, having unearthed a page marked “secret†and “confidential†from the company the state had hired to make up the list of names to purge from voter rolls. I took my camera crew into an agreed interview with Jeb Bush’s director of the Department of Elections. When I pulled out the confidential sheet, Bush’s man ripped off the microphone and did the fifty-yard dash, locking himself in his office, all in front of our cameras. It was killer television and wowed the British viewers. We even ran a confession from the company. Newsworthy for the USA? Apparently not. (pp. 202, 203)

A group of well-placed sources told my BBC team that before Sept. 11th the US government had turned away evidence of Saudi billionaires funding bin Laden’s network. We got our hands on documents that backed up the story that FBI and CIA investigations had been slowed by the Clinton administration, then killed by Bush Jr.’s. The story made top of the news—in Britain. In the US, one TV reporter picked up the report. He was called, he says, by network chiefs, and told to go no further. He didn’t. (p. 205)

http://www.wanttoknow.info/massmedia#palast

For Mr. Palast’s website, see http://www.gregpalast.com.

... Would you vote for a president who would actually secure our border but offer amnesty to those "grandfathered in"?

NO

That was promised in 1986.
Fool me once...

- No Amnesty.
- No pardons.
- No pass of any kind.
- Eliminate the birthright loophole. Children born to non-US citizens should be citizens of the nation the parents come from.
- No welfare OF ANY KIND to illegals. This includes free or subsidized medical care for anything other than immediate life saving care.

These people have already demonstrated contempt for our country and our laws by the manner in which they came here.
To grant them ANY form of legal status is a slap in the face to all true immigrants who came here through proper channels.

Let the people who attract the illegals pay the bills. Use the laws already on the books. It is currently illegal to employ illegals. Enforce a stiff fine for each instance of employing an illegal.
Eg: $25,000 for each infraction. Include a 20% whistle blower reward.
With no jobs and no welfare, they will go home on their own. The fines collected from illicit employers will pay the deportation costs for the rest.

NO

Fool me once...

- No Amnesty.
- No pardons.
- No pass of any kind.
- Eliminate the birthright loophole. Children born to non-US citizens should be citizens of the nation the parents come from.
- No welfare OF ANY KIND to illegals. This includes free or subsidized medical care for anything other than immediate life saving care.

These people have already demonstrated contempt for our country and our laws by the manner in which they came here.
To grant them ANY form of legal status is a slap in the face to all true immigrants who came here through proper channels.

Let the people who attract the illegals pay the bills. Use the laws already on the books. It is currently illegal to employ illegals. Enforce a stiff fine for each instance of employing an illegal.
Eg: $25,000 for each infraction. Include a 20% whistle blower reward.
With no jobs and no welfare, they will go home on their own. The fines collected from illicit employers will pay the deportation costs for the rest.

I second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ONLY thing I'm in favor of FREE - is a point in the RETURNING direction of where then came.

NO

Fool me once...

Bingo. It only resulted in an expandingly worse status quo. They definately tried to pull a fast one with the recently failed ( stalled ) "comprehensive immigration reform" scam. Just grandfather the existing 12m here, and give us an unending supply of legal "guest workers" ( albeit still exploitable ) to do "jobs Americans won't do" and we'll crack down tough on the supply later....promise! The ba$tards were sandbagging sure as he!!.

Question...rhetorical, for we know the answer but allow me some smartass bluster to prove a point:

If a certifiable hoarde of illegal immigrants have already broke the law, continue to break the law with near absolute impunity....what makes anyone fatuous enough to believe a "guest worker" will leave the US when the work visa has expired???

All "comprehensive immigration reform" would have accomplished is a de-facto institutionalization of the present status quo.

Both parties are in on this scam. It started with Carter, continued under Reagan, picked up speed under Daddy Bush/ Clinton through in the Spanish garbage that we must all endure every time we call place a business or government agency, and SKY ROCKETED under the current despot.

They are running a scam that we would NEVER accept if it happened all at once. Instead they gradually flooded the nation. An American student can't even find a job as a Parking Attendant or Waiter in LA anymore.

Latest posts

Back