RUMOR ALERT: US/UA merger "inevitable"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually in the early 90s US and UA tried to merge but UA's employees nixed it with their veto power under the ESOP it was like 92ish I think

...mergers hurt the employees, always.

And the point is?

Mergers are about money for everybody BUT the employees and customers.

Have you read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged"? Great book. Swim or sink, you (not you personally, but you in general) are on your own, as well you should be. (At least in Ayn's estimation.)

Now, what was that about mergers hurting employees?

United employees are just friends I haven't met yet. First class people. That's all I have to say about that.

American on the other hand... I will never forget the poor slobs at TWA who got :mf_boff:

:cold:

I haven't looked it up but doesn' the East contract have a change in control provision until 2012 of a 250 Million pay out to the east pilots. Doesn't that pretty much nix any merger?

It went to arbitration and lost with the HP/US merger, dont know if some of the new CBAs contain the language or not, as Fleet and M&R both got new CBAs and it didnt stop Doogie from wanting to merge with DL, now did it?

You can't tell me that TT isn't eying that Chicago hub??? General operations can be better monitored from a centralized location. The sandcastle doesn't have a clue how to run East operations. By moving to that centralized location, running both operations get easier!

What?

Last I checked, the brand spanking new OCC is in PIT. Moving to ORD ain't gonna matter a damn.

Therefore, the current route structures of the potential merger partners would have a greater anti-trust issue today than after the slot transaction. To be sure...another market analysis would have to be done with US Airways at DCA and United at IAD, but I believe many of the new routes US Airways intends to fly out of DCA United does not fly out of IAD.

It's not the new cities. It's the whole package. The feds are not going to let a combined US/UA merge and get out of DC without giving up something.

With Uncle Doug & Mr. Tilton meeting for the past 3 weeks in various cities (PHX, ORD), you know something is going to happen. Things have been to quite for too long, Is United possible...well anything is possible in this industry. But if United is going down...then let them go down and pick up what you want after it's done (gates, routes, planes,etc). <_<

People asked Parker the same thing with the America West/US Airways merger. His response was that Southwest would outbid us on everything worthwhile. Just like America West needed a merger then, I'm afraid we(US) need one now. Alaska is the best buy out there, but we don't have the money.

The problem is that between UA and US there is not one qualified leader. The successor airline of a merger between UA and US would likely have to go outside for a CEO--then again Larry Kellner may be available......

Having either Doug Parker or Glenn Tilton as CEO dooms the merger from the start, as would having Scott Kirby in ANY management role....

If you're going to pull off a merger like that you need someone who is customer centric and can think outside the box......Doug and Scott have as much as stated publicly their contempt for customers, and, well, Tilton's record speaks for itself.

The entire airline industry is broken--as long as it continues to price its product predominantly below cost, there is no hope....and the alacarte fees will come back to bite them in the end...."Stop the Insanity" already....

In a US/UA merger, I see it being an equal merger of two broken parts....now if both UA and US went into BK again, CO could just pick up the pieces.......now THAT would be an airline....

Newsweek Quote .... "Despite the challenges, a number of industry watchers aren't ready to count out Parker, who is considered one of the best financial minds in the business. "If Doug went to Wall Street to raise capital for a new airline, he'd have $1 billion in commitments before he got to the end of his [PowerPoint] deck," says Robert W. Mann, an airline industry consultant."

;)

Wall Street Journal quote, " Tilton, who also heads the airline industry group Air Transport Association, repeated his assertion that the industry needs to work harder to overcome U.S. regulations that prohibit global competition, he said. He said airline alliances and international antitrust immunity are necessary for airlines to grow, absent their ability to make cross-border mergers. Tilton expects to see U.S. airlines renew efforts at domestic consolidation when credit markets open up."

Having either Doug Parker or Glenn Tilton as CEO dooms the merger from the start, as would having Scott Kirby in ANY management role....
The only way a merger goes through is w/ Parker in charge....It's all about his inflated ego and nothing else..If he honestly cared about running an airline he would have his own house in order, how is he capable of bringing UA into the fold and making it work..It will be a labor disaster!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back