Sen Kennedy Stopped By Nofly List

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
No Fly List Mismatch (and check-in agts aren't really that stupid)

Both the NY Times and Wash Post today had stories about Sen Edward Kennedy being delayed in boarding because his name (along with anyone else by that name) hitting as a match on the no fly list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/20/n...0flight.html?hp
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2004Aug19.html

Both articles say that "US Airways ticket agents" refused to allow the Senator to board until supervisors interceeded. The WaPo piece, written by a journalist one of whose specialties is aviation security, implies that the agents did not regognize the Senator. Both papers recount that the agents told the Senator that they could not state the reason for the delay in check-in. This is actually correct; airline staff are prohibited from stating the reason when check-in is denied or delayed due to a possible No-Fly list match, per the Feds.

I am disappointed that of two nation's leading papers would make it appear that the issue is up to the agents; when a possible match is detected, the computer system actually inhibits check-in, even if the mismatch is obvious.
Only certain employees (usually, not always supervisors) have the level of computer access needed to clear and override a possible match.
Had someone less recognizable than Ted Kennedy been flagged, additional time would have been involved as the supervisor took the steps needed to ensure that the match was indeed false.

Maybe, I am being overly sensitive. But I can just imagine readers shaking their heads and muttering "stupid airline agents". Yeah sometimes check-in staff can do some supid things. Most of then are not that stupid, however.

Even when a customer is flagged as a selectee by CAPPS, airline staff can not make an exception based on common sense, only under very specific and defined circumstances.

Dont call me Shirley said:
No Fly List Mismatch (and check-in agts aren't really that stupid)

Both the NY Times and Wash Post today had stories about Sen Edward Kennedy being delayed in boarding because his name (along with anyone else by that name) hitting as a match on the no fly list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/20/n...0flight.html?hp
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2004Aug19.html

Both articles say that "US Airways ticket agents" refused to allow the Senator to board until supervisors interceeded. The WaPo piece, written by a journalist one of whose specialties is aviation security, implies that the agents did not regognize the Senator. Both papers recount that the agents told the Senator that they could not state the reason for the delay in check-in. This is actually correct; airline staff are prohibited from stating the reason when check-in is denied or delayed due to a possible No-Fly list match, per the Feds.

I am disappointed that of two nation's leading papers would make it appear that the issue is up to the agents; when a possible match is detected, the computer system actually inhibits check-in, even if the mismatch is obvious.
Only certain employees (usually, not always supervisors) have the level of computer access needed to clear and override a possible match.
Had someone less recognizable than Ted Kennedy been flagged, additional time would have been involved as the supervisor took the steps needed to ensure that the match was indeed false.

Maybe, I am being overly sensitive. But I can just imagine readers shaking their heads and muttering "stupid airline agents". Yeah sometimes check-in staff can do some supid things. Most of then are not that stupid, however.

Even when a customer is flagged as a selectee by CAPPS, airline staff can not make an exception based on common sense, only under very specific and defined circumstances.
[post="171038"][/post]​

If judgement can not be used, should the human be replaced by a machine?

WE certainly do not need Sen Kennedy to make US look bad...

Internal Affairs does a damn good show at that!

Heard this was on a bumper sticker, and thought it was rather funny (albeit in poor taste...)

"Ted Kennedy has killed more people than my handgun"

Good luck to all US employees. I wish you all the very best in these trying times in our industry...

PineyBob said:
Well Senator Chirrosis is going to take a run at the Presidency if Kerry falters. They have a slogan ready.

"A Blonde in EVERY Pond!"
Long live the Chap of Quiddick
[post="171170"][/post]​

I apologize in advance.

"We'll drive off that bridge when we come to it."

PineyBob said:
GW Bush may be a bit of a dolt, but it appears he can keep it in his pants.
[post="171234"][/post]​

Which is 99.9% irrevelent to running the affairs of the country - compared to killing hundreds of Americans on false pretenses and destroying the reputation of this country in the world community?

I heard a story about Ted Kennedy from another fight attendant awhile back. I thought it was funny. This is what happened.

Ted Kennedy came onto the plane with 4 bags and the lead f/a stopped him and said, "Sir, I am sorry, but we have a 2 bag rule, you will have to check your other bags."

Ted Kennedy, all red faced as usual, starting yelling, "Do, you know who I am?, Do you know who I am?, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM"?!!!

F/A, stops, and says, to everyone sitting in First Class. "Ladies and gentlemen, This man doesn't know who is is"!! :p

PineyBob said:
OHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO it's NOT only NOT OFF TOPIC it is spot on topic. If we can have a non stop Bush Bash on EVERY other thread on here where his intelligence and integrity are questioned then old Senator Chirrosis and his moral character or lack thereof are fair game as well.

Near as I can tell his idea of "Labor Friendly" was with the female hired help. Apparently him and Chris Dodd scored quite a few pages in their prime. Give Ted credit at least he didn't get caught like that last bastion of virtue that occupied the White House Bill Clinton.

GW Bush may be a bit of a dolt, but it appears he can keep it in his pants.
[post="171234"][/post]​

Last time I looked this thread was about Senator Kennedy being confused with another name on the no fly list.

Not about things that happened in his past.

Bob do you have a comprehension problem?

So I repeat you took this thread
:eek:ff:

See your insulting hatred of a Senator, especially one who is a champion of the working man is not natural, sounds like you are jealous to me.

700UW said:
:eek:ff:
[post="171193"][/post]​

700, Thanks for trying to get this thread back on topic.: Sen Kennedy's enounter with the nofly list and the way these two papers portrayed US Airways employees.

Politcal jokes, be they about Ted Kennedy, Saint Ronnie, Bill Clinton, or Paul Martin should go to the Just Conversation board.

I was just disappointed that writers for two of this country's leading papers wrote the story in way that could give the average reader a negative inference about US Airways and its staff. (I guess I am not surprised.)

Most readers of the forum know quite a bit more about the airline industry and aviation than the aveage person. I venture to say that many of you regularly are disappointed by the lack of accuracy (as well as outright errors) in media reports about aviation. You recognize these errors because you know the subject. But what about when news media cover a subject about which you are not familiar (be it particle physics or auto insurance reform). Are the media just as incompetent when reporting on these areas?

One my favorite media howlers: I can't remember which accident, but the report concerned the maintenance history of the aircraft. It had been through an A Check something like two days before the crash and a C check a few months prior. A (somewhat) major cable news channel reported: "The plane had received an "A" on its last maintenance report, but only a "C" on a report three months ago."

Dont call me Shirley said:
700, Thanks for trying to get this thread back on topic.: Sen Kennedy's enounter with the nofly list and the way these two papers portrayed US Airways employees.

I'm disappointed that they didn't focus attention how obviously deficient the no fly list is as a means of identifying terrorists and the sorts of trampling on your rights that it represents. If something like this can happen to a very well known senator just imagine how an ordinary citizen -- especially one with a middle eastern name or appearance -- is treated.

Kennedy receives apology for security scrutiny

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON - A top Homeland Security official has apologized to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, who was stopped at airports because a name similar to his appeared on a watch list.

The Massachusetts Democrat said he was stopped by airline personnel five times as he tried to get on US Airways shuttles between Washington and Boston.

"If they have that kind of difficulty with a member of Congress, how in the world are average Americans, who are getting caught up in this thing, how are they going to be treated fairly and not have their rights abused?" Kennedy asked Homeland Security undersecretary Asa Hutchinson at a hearing Thursday.

Hutchinson, who apologized for any inconvenience to the senator, testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the need for the federal government to take over the watch lists, which are administered by the airlines.

Another prominent Democratic member of Congress, Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, said yesterday that he also has been singled out for extra scrutiny when he flies because someone on a watch list has the same name. Lewis said he can't get an electronic ticket, must show extra identification and has his luggage checked by hand.

Lewis said one airline representative in Atlanta told him, "Once you're on the list, there's no way to get off it." Lewis said he filed a complaint with the Department of Homeland Security and even considered a lawsuit.

This week, Lewis got a call from another John Lewis - a faculty member at the University of Houston - who told him he also had encountered problems at airports because of his name.

"It's weird," the professor said. "But I like being classed with Ted Kennedy and the congressman. It makes me feel more important."

Kennedy said he was stopped at airports in Washington, D.C., and Boston three times in March. Airline agents told him he would not be sold a ticket because his name was on a list.

When he asked the agent why, he was told, "We can't tell you."

Each time, a supervisor recognized Kennedy and got him on the flight.

But after the third incident, Kennedy's staff called the Transportation Security Administration and asked to clear up the confusion.

The TSA said a name similar to Kennedy's was on the watch list, and that he was later flagged to go through additional screening. TSA also said that the airlines didn't handle the matter properly.

But twice after contacting TSA, Kennedy was stopped again at the airline counter.

The American Civil Liberties Union has filed lawsuits in San Francisco and Seattle over this issue, demanding that the government explain how wrongly flagged travelers can get off the lists.

Hutchinson said that people who experience problems can call the TSA ombudsman to clear things up.

Latest posts

Back