Sonny Hall Retires

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Transport Workers Union of America President Sonny Hall Retires; Michael O'Brien Takes Over

9/21/2004 9:58:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: National Desk, Transportation Reporter

Contact: Jim Gannon of the Transport Workers Union of America, 212-259-4936

NEW YORK, Sept. 21 /U.S. Newswire/ -- TWU International President Sonny Hall has retired after 10 years at the helm of the Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO, and 54-year old Executive Vice President Michael O'Brien was elected by the union's Executive Board to succeed him.

Hall, a 50-year member and officer of TWU, passed the gavel to O'Brien at the Union's International Executive Council meeting in Los Angeles on Sept. 21.

Under Hall's leadership, TWU dramatically expanded its political action program and organizing efforts. He leaves with TWU's membership base nearly 30,000 (30 percent) greater than when he was first elected International President in 1993. TWU membership now stands at 135,000.

Hall said: "I did my very best. I am proud of what I have accomplished and I am proud that I have respected every T.W.U. Sister and Brother, even when we disagreed. Mike is an excellent leader who will continue and expand the growth of T.W.U. and protect the rights and jobs of every T.W.U. member."

Upon taking the gavel, O'Brien thanked President Hall for his years of service pledging that he will "continue to build upon the tremendous record of activism and vision brought to this union and the labor movement by Sonny Hall." O'Brien also pledged to "aggressively position the TWU in the forefront of the labor movement's expansion of organizing efforts and political activity, while simultaneously working to strengthen our TWU Local Unions."

O'Brien joined TWU Local 282 in 1972 as a school bus driver in Bristol Township, PA. He began representing fellow Local 282 members as a Shop Steward in 1975. He served on the Local union's Executive Board from 1978 to 1981, and President of the Local from 1981 to 1985, where he negotiated several gain-filled contracts as a Local officer.

O'Brien was named an International Organizer in 1983 and he participated in the successful drive to organize a number of regional airline carriers now known as American Eagle, which today numbers 6,000 workers. He also keyed drives to organize many more workers employed by school districts and municipalities in New Jersey and Georgia.

After the organizing victories, O'Brien was promoted to International Representative where he built a reputation as a tough and savvy negotiator and was elected Vice President in 1993. Overall, O'Brien has helped Local leaders negotiate more than 100 contracts for TWU represented mass transit properties, municipalities, school districts, universities and utilities. He also led a highly publicized strike of women food service workers against the mighty anti-union Marriott Corporation.

He was named Executive Vice President in 2003 and will be running for a full term as president in 2005.

I hope he enjoys his retirement and Michael O'Brien will have his hads full!

Have you noticed the 35 thousand increase in the last 10 years? That almost doubles Amfa's record in the same time frame!

O'Brien was named an International Organizer in 1983 and he participated in the successful drive to organize a number of regional airline carriers now known as American Eagle, which today numbers 6,000 workers. He also keyed drives to organize many more workers employed by school districts and municipalities in New Jersey and Georgia.

American Eagle never even had an NMB election. AA recognized the toy union without an NMB vote!

Where do I complain? I never received the TWU ballot regarding O'brien replacing Sonny Hole.

CIO, would you please post the TWU membership election tally for this Mike O'brien? Oh that's right! He was appointed by the cronies at international level.

The convention is next year, He is filling a vacancy and will run at that time! Don't forget we vote for convention delegates who will in turn vote for the officers of the International!

Checking it Out said:
The convention is next year, He is filling a vacancy and will run at that time! Don't forget we vote for convention delegates who will in turn vote for the officers of the International!
[post="182787"][/post]​

What about the members?

No vote for them?

Who are you running against O'brien, Kirk Wells?

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
CIO, would you please post the TWU membership election tally for this Mike O'brien? Oh that's right! He was appointed by the cronies at international level.
[post="182777"][/post]​
Only a UNION BUSTER LIKE YOU WOULD MAKE A STATMENT LIKE THAT

James T. Kirk said:
[post="182837"][/post]​
Princess was asking a simple question and I believe she was refering to how democratic the twu is or should I say is not (WITHOUT FURTHER RATIFICATION THE CRIMLIN CERTIFIES THIS A VALID ELECTION)

James T. Kirk said:
[post="182837"][/post]​

SO, anyone who speaks the truth is a "union buster"?

And you oppose direct election of Officers?

OK, I bet you favor Jim Little to "take over" the V.P position vacated by the O'brien appointment also, don't you?

James T. Kirk said:
[post="182837"][/post]​
Spaceman,

When 'we' as 'union' (not TWU/AMFA/etc… but as unionized working people) begin walking down the path of perdition of the corporate insistence that 'working people' (such as you and I) are the 'problem' to their failed business model means that we are a problem because we did not fit their model (of Globalization = $3 an hour, no bennies).

As historical reference, we have seen this corporate mentality over the years again and again and workers who 'fear' losing their position are willing to call their 'brothers and sisters' fools for not realizing the “NEW MARKETPLACEâ€￾ that was imposed on us by our lack of forethought and intestinal fortitude.

Our 'we must survive at any cost' ideology is self destructive in the long term; nearsighted and gutless in the short term.

Is the airline industry changing? Certainly, but that does not mean that we must give up the livelihoods that we possess today to make it work? NO!!!
How? Sacrifice!!!

“RAISE TICKET PRICESâ€￾!!!

Many of my Union Brothers and Sisters here laugh at the Europeans for not supporting the Iraq war. Viewed as being ‘chicken’.

But when it comes to American Unionized Labor, we are the pussies.

JMHO&PO,
B) UT

UAL_TECH said:
Many of my Union Brothers and Sisters here laugh at the Europeans for not supporting the Iraq war. Viewed as being ‘chicken’.

But when it comes to American Unionized Labor, we are the pussies.

JMHO&PO,
B) UT
[post="182861"][/post]​

Deadly accurate assessment, unfortunately.

Checking it Out said:
[post="182787"][/post]​
So how does a member get his name on the ballot to run for one of these international positions?

Nightwatch said:
Step One: Throw away your AMFA shirt.
[post="182962"][/post]​
So in other words you don't have a clue. Anyone with an intelligent answer out there?

Latest posts