Southwest is looking at DFW in order to do "Red Eyes" International flights, and to grow Dallas market area

SWAMECH

Veteran
Apr 26, 2005
It was on an internal email where he talked about when the W/A goes away in 2025 (last of the W/A restrictions that is) and looking at starting Red Eyes sometime in 2026 as long as none of the 18 gates at LF get diminished. The international flights were not mentioned in email, however, most in Dallas assumes they would start them once they get into DFW and settled in. This way they can do non stops from DFW.
Been waiting a long time to see SWA tails at DFW, now it may be coming to reality in later half of the decade.
Red Eyes cannot operate at LF due to the noise abatement currently intact. And since McKinney voted down the possibility of going international, DFW is the only way left to grow the Dallas market, so they are looking at it very hard now.

The koolaid runs deep, SWA...

Redeyes make the most sense off the coasts where you can extend an operating day, but not so much for central hubs like MDW or DAL.

The Wright Amendment compromise provisions protecting DFW for international trips expires at some point in 2025, so assuming WN wants to fund a FIS, they could indeed launch international service at DAL, and that might make sense in some markets.

The prohibition on AA acquiring gates or serving DAL expires in less than six months, however. And last I knew, AA still owned the lease on gates that both Alaska and Delta were subleasing, so they could start service again as early as April 25th.

The above was confirmed by Terry Maxon, who I think might be a good source.

Last edited:
As far as I know AA does still own the rights to the two or at least one of the gates at LF. Not sure if they might start using if SWA starts out of DFW in new terminal or not. I doubt they would really care much as they have such a large market share at DFW.
E, I believe the Red eyes will be a trial period to see how they might do. If it turns out well, they may look at using red eyes where they may be more useful.
When you say Terry confirmed above, is that on the DFW news, or the gates AA still have at LF, or all the above???

Don't think Americans are stupid again and give Southwest another chance since last winter.

The truth is Southwest has maxed out their growth in the spoke to spoke model, they cant gain unit revenue without building additional bases. Factor in a CEO that has no executive experience, and anyone beneath him, you can just imagine the massive devaluation there.

Just imagine, if the corp guys didnt hire such a shiet talking idiot like "SWAMECh", Maybe they can grow some stocks lol. Everything that comes out of his mouth is full of shiet that it reeks of devaluation. They should immediately fire him for being that. Probably a worthless tool for the company, who will get fired at any other airline.

Last edited:
When you say Terry confirmed above, is that on the DFW news, or the gates AA still have at LF, or all the above???

It's a personal email exchange between me and Terry regarding the DAL gates. He retired in 2015, but still knows more about the politics and behind the scenes in Dallas aviation than anyone alive.

It's a personal email exchange between me and Terry regarding the DAL gates. He retired in 2015, but still knows more about the politics and behind the scenes in Dallas aviation than anyone alive.
Gotcha. And yes, I would agree that Terry would def know anything about Aviation surrounding the DFW area. Pretty sure we will soon be flying out of DFW as it's now our only choice to grow the Dallas market.
I will update as we get more info on DFW.

Gotcha. And yes, I would agree that Terry would def know anything about Aviation surrounding the DFW area. Pretty sure we will soon be flying out of DFW as it's now our only choice to grow the Dallas market.
I will update as we get more info on DFW.

Thank goodness we all have you to update us since it’s so incredibly difficult to go check out Yahoo News like you do.

And putting in a Google search for “Airline News” was only giving me Rum Cake recipe’s.

Thanks again swamp.

Don't think Americans are stupid again and give Southwest another chance since last winter.

The truth is Southwest has maxed out their growth in the spoke to spoke model, they cant gain unit revenue without building additional bases. Factor in a CEO that has no executive experience, and anyone beneath him, you can just imagine the massive devaluation there.

Just imagine, if the corp guys didnt hire such a shiet talking idiot like "SWAMECh", Maybe they can grow some stocks lol. Everything that comes out of his mouth is full of shiet that it reeks of devaluation. They should immediately fire him for being that. Probably a worthless tool for the company, who will get fired at any other airline.
Exactly. Nothing like competing with yourself!

Latest posts

Back