staffing issue at ATO and Gates

Apr 11, 2010
i would like to know what kind of staffing problem do you have in your station? (such as part time hours being cut down to 2 1/2? or in some case split shift) ANY OT is given out when the flight is HEAVY? Just want to KNOW how system wide effect every one with short staff issue and hours being cut? ALSO BAG at GATE? How do you deal with it AT your station.

Also how many open line do you have in YOUR station (F/T or P/T)

...PEACE.....

we had 5.5. unpaid for 30min, till corporate heard about it- our bid lasted 1 month..we were all thrilled. now back to 4.0..

gate/t/c short staffed..one at a time..it is what it is..

do what u can, if flts r delayed, you work short. not 2.5 hrs or splits..those days are over..I think..

do what u can. and worry not.

its on the manager, u know he gets a bonus for less agt hrs..?

we had 5.5. unpaid for 30min, till corporate heard about it- our bid lasted 1 month..we were all thrilled. now back to 4.0..

gate/t/c short staffed..one at a time..it is what it is..

do what u can, if flts r delayed, you work short. not 2.5 hrs or splits..those days are over..I think..

do what u can. and worry not.

its on the manager, u know he gets a bonus for less agt hrs..?

something need to be DONE about this!!!!!!!!!!

Dont get upset about this. we have the Velvet and the CWA, they WILL take of us:(

To clarify, we do not have split shifts, and the agents are happy we are back to 4 hr shifts.
U would come in , work 1/2 hr at the counter, head to the gates for 4 flts and back to the counter for last hr of our shift.
On the split shifts , it is up to the manager about that.

Staffing levels are fine if managers keep their CSS working and not goofing off.

I didn't know CSS's could even spell....goofing.

See you at Happy Hour.......Doug

1 Noun, goofing off - the evasion of work or duty, goldbricking, shirking, slacking, soldiering, dodging, escape, evasion - nonperformance of something distasteful (as by deceit or trickery) that you are supposed to do; "his evasion of his clear duty was reprehensible"; "that escape from the consequences is possible but unattractive".

Most likely only a problem on certain shifts, in certain stations. :D

We are having staffing issues at LAS. We are on our 3rd bid since our reduction in Feburary and still can't get it right. We had previously had schedules to bid for straight gate lines, straight ticket counter, and mixed lines and then seperate for baggage service. We are being told since we are no longer a hub or focus city, but a field station, we are to be cross-utilized and there are just start times to bid. I believe many smaller station are being told the same thing, but according to our contract we should have specific duty assignments on our bids. We are constantly short staffed, and while overtime is being offered, it is not being issued in accordance with our contract. We have issues about agents going between the gates and ato as it is now, and not showing up where and when they are suppose to be. After our first hour of the workday, half the agents leave the counter to get the flights started and we can't get passengers checked in for their flights. There are additional problems besides scheduling, but fixing the schedule would be a step in the right direction,

So I too would like feedback...does your station have set gate/ato/baggage/relief lines for schedules? Do you have mixed lines (ie M/Th/F ato..T/W off..S/S gates)?

At LAS we have (aprox) 58 FT and 48 PT and I believe about 8 relief FT and not sure about PT relief.

We are having staffing issues at LAS. We are on our 3rd bid since our reduction in Feburary and still can't get it right. We had previously had schedules to bid for straight gate lines, straight ticket counter, and mixed lines and then seperate for baggage service. We are being told since we are no longer a hub or focus city, but a field station, we are to be cross-utilized and there are just start times to bid. I believe many smaller station are being told the same thing, but according to our contract we should have specific duty assignments on our bids. We are constantly short staffed, and while overtime is being offered, it is not being issued in accordance with our contract. We have issues about agents going between the gates and ato as it is now, and not showing up where and when they are suppose to be. After our first hour of the workday, half the agents leave the counter to get the flights started and we can't get passengers checked in for their flights. There are additional problems besides scheduling, but fixing the schedule would be a step in the right direction,

So I too would like feedback...does your station have set gate/ato/baggage/relief lines for schedules? Do you have mixed lines (ie M/Th/F ato..T/W off..S/S gates)?

At LAS we have (aprox) 58 FT and 48 PT and I believe about 8 relief FT and not sure about PT relief.

LAS don't make any money---so management really don't care....beside if LAS agent would stay there instead of put in for a transfer to another station----LAS should be fine...too many agent especially part time want to transfer out of LAS.....

SO LAS agent---stop transfer then I think your staffing will be fine. because it seemed like the company not going replace any headcount....

LAS don't make any money---so management really don't care....beside if LAS agent would stay there instead of put in for a transfer to another station----LAS should be fine...too many agent especially part time want to transfer out of LAS.....

SO LAS agent---stop transfer then I think your staffing will be fine. because it seemed like the company not going replace any headcount....

Not sure where you are getting that...don't know of a multitue of agents wanting to transfer out...however there are many previously furloughed agents trying to get back on at various stations.

We do have a new station manager at LAS but the shift managers have been here since the hub days. That may be part of the reason they are unable to come up with a sustainable schedule that works.

I am still looking for feedback as to how other stations schedule. Do you have seperate lines for gate/ato/baggage/relief? (with some possible combo lines?) Or do you just bid a start time and are assigned a "duty" when you arrive each day? Also, what are your agent counts and number of flights? Thanks for any feedback any body can give...

Not sure where you are getting that...don't know of a multitue of agents wanting to transfer out...however there are many previously furloughed agents trying to get back on at various stations.

We do have a new station manager at LAS but the shift managers have been here since the hub days. That may be part of the reason they are unable to come up with a sustainable schedule that works.

I am still looking for feedback as to how other stations schedule. Do you have seperate lines for gate/ato/baggage/relief? (with some possible combo lines?) Or do you just bid a start time and are assigned a "duty" when you arrive each day? Also, what are your agent counts and number of flights? Thanks for any feedback any body can give...

mid-station---usually 4t/c agent in the morning---2 gate agent and 1 supv-----the afternoon 3 or less some time at ato---1 in baggage---and we have a 3 baggage line----t/c and gate are mix---the supervisor assign us where we need to be every morning or afternoon....so on....

With May schedule change we'll have 20 flights. Currently we have 31 FT and 23 PT. they say we will be overstaffed, but they are not doing furloughs because we'll add flights back the end of the year and will have to call back anyway so they just carry the few for a couple months. Counter is open 430am (probably 5am on new skd) until 700pm. Flights in May run from 700am until 725pm with last terminator at 1158pm.
Baggage and Open Time are closed bids meaning you have to put in a transfer to work there. Gates and Counter are on the same bid and agents can go back and forth each bid without putting in a transfer. Currently all lines are either counter or gate, no mixing. We do have a curb line (open 430am until 5pm) but no queue which is now a must per management. Baggage am agent works counter 5am-7am then goes to baggage. 1 FT baggage line works 1 day at the gate and 1 PT baggage line meets 1 terminator at night.
Counter FT is currently a 10/4 bid and everyone else is 8/5. Counter PT agents are 5/4 while everyone else is 4/5 or 6/5 in baggage. We have been told management doesnt like 10 hour shifts but both the 10 hour and 8 hour bids were rejected. We were supposed to bid for May, however that has been put on hold indefinitely for unknown reasons so we are currently just waiting to see what happens.

ok LAS agent---can you please let me know how many flight you have a day in and out of LAS? IS LAS is going end up similar like our folk in PIT? what is your seniority roster in LAS? do LAS agent is being cross-gate/ticket counter? just wondering how many part time or full time LAS has? how many F/T or P/T agent are still on furlough???? Please advise....

(Mod note- merged with this topic since its already being discussed here and doesnt really need a topic of its own. If you want to contact someone directly, you can always PM them.)

OTOH, many outstations have become more top heavy, with shift managers, admin reps, and more supervisors. In some - but not all - cases for fewer agents. Granted, some of that may be due to HPs vastly more bureaucratic way of doing things, but it still makes one wonder.

ok LAS agent---can you please let me know how many flight you have a day in and out of LAS? IS LAS is going end up similar like our folk in PIT? what is your seniority roster in LAS? do LAS agent is being cross-gate/ticket counter? just wondering how many part time or full time LAS has? how many F/T or P/T agent are still on furlough???? Please advise....

(Mod note- merged with this topic since its already being discussed here and doesnt really need a topic of its own. If you want to contact someone directly, you can always PM them.)

Out daily 36 intill we loose PIT, then 35...I am not sure about arrivals..
We have 52 FT and 36 PT and 10 CSS
Last furlough was aproximately 150 people and the furlough before that it was an additional aproximately 300.

Prior to the last schedule we bid straight ticket counter/straight baggage/straight ato/ and some combo lines. They are now saying everybody is "KT" (Will start at ticket counter and float to gates and/or start at gates and float to counter depending on start time) Most agents want to have straight duty lines (per CWA contract) and we are now being told we all need to be cross utilized....however baggage is seperate and "closed" for 6 months. I don't quite get how that is able to be like that, and if we need to be crossed utilized, why not for all functions. We open ticket counter at 4:30 and an hour later 5 people go to the gates. If you've seen LAS layout..our kiosk are seperate from ATO..we maintain 3 lines ...1 for F/C Pref and Special, one main line and one kiosk line. Sometimes when the agents go up to start flights there is one person for each of those (lines)spots! They are now moving people earlier, but in the end they are gonna screw the counter later in the day between 12-3pm . We are bigger than most "field stations" currently, and moving people back and forth (especially undertrained or untrained in different areas--another mistake of local management as we had a training department up until February and these cuts were announced in what--November/December 09?)just adds to our burden of trying to service passengers. They cut our curb function in February (bad move in a city who's major source of income is the tourist industry) but the reason was the cost the airport charged for the baggage belt. And yes, I have tried talking and making suggestions, as well as other agents but to little avail. One of our shift managers said it could be a year before they get the staffing right.

Tadjr...how can baggage/relief be closed? And did I understand your ticket counter is 4days-10 hours? We had that at one time in LAS..I did it and loved it..but they elimiated it almost 2 years ago when we were still a hub station.

Anybody else what to share their schedules at your stations?
THANKS!