staffing issue at ATO and Gates

OTOH, many outstations have become more top heavy, with shift managers, admin reps, and more supervisors. In some - but not all - cases for fewer agents. Granted, some of that may be due to HPs vastly more bureaucratic way of doing things, but it still makes one wonder.
Paranoia and job justification for lower management

Tadjr...how can baggage/relief be closed? And did I understand your ticket counter is 4days-10 hours? We had that at one time in LAS..I did it and loved it..but they elimiated it almost 2 years ago when we were still a hub station.

Baggage is a closed function and Open Time is a separate closed function. You have to have a transfer in and an opening to be able to bid into either of those positions.

Currently the counter is 10/4. Our new regional doesnt like 10 hour shifts and we all expect them to be gone on the new bid they are creating. They say the coverage doesnt work as well, but I really dont see it getting much better with 8 hours. We used to have those and the am people left at 1pm with the afternoon coming in at 330pm. We went to only 4 agents from about 1245-330 with most of the internationals checking in during this time (No speak English, cant use machine) and the night shift eating lunch so we basically went to 2 agents. Doesnt work. Cant wait to see what they come up with.

We also have 1 Station Manager, 1 Ramp Manager (position currently being refilled), 4 Shift Managers, 1 Station Sec, 2 Admin Clerks and 7 CSS and 1 Training CSS. Thats why we dont have agent help. We are bloated on the top, lean on the front line, as it seems lots of places are.

Baggage is a closed function and Open Time is a separate closed function. You have to have a transfer in and an opening to be able to bid into either of those positions.

Okay, hate to beat the dead horse here, but how//under what guidelines can baggage/open time be "closed" yet not other functions? Same question I keep asking at LAS...but while we have baggage closed....open time/relief is not a closed function. Not getting any straight or logical answers as to why things vary and are done differently. Thanks again for any further explanation..

Currently the counter is 10/4. Our new regional doesnt like 10 hour shifts and we all expect them to be gone on the new bid they are creating. They say the coverage doesnt work as well, but I really dont see it getting much better with 8 hours. We used to have those and the am people left at 1pm with the afternoon coming in at 330pm. We went to only 4 agents from about 1245-330 with most of the internationals checking in during this time (No speak English, cant use machine) and the night shift eating lunch so we basically went to 2 agents. Doesnt work. Cant wait to see what they come up with.

We also have 1 Station Manager, 1 Ramp Manager (position currently being refilled), 4 Shift Managers, 1 Station Sec, 2 Admin Clerks and 7 CSS and 1 Training CSS. Thats why we dont have agent help. We are bloated on the top, lean on the front line, as it seems lots of places are.
Our F/T works 9-5;30..so the mgr tells us staffing sked was prepared by Corporate..
P/T open and close our station..those 9-5 Bite big time!

At one time (many years ago) we could bid anywhere, but it got hard to allow this because of the special training needed for just baggage when people would bid out forcing the junior people into baggage. Each time someone new got sent to baggage they had to go to training and then the next bid someone else might get forced into baggage and it started all over again. So, baggage is now a closed function along with open time being closed because they also have to cover baggage. There was a bid several years ago where once again everything was open for bid and then the next bid it closed. As long as its posted that way before bidding, any and or all functions can be closed. If they want to they can have baggage/counter/gate/open time all bid together or be closed as long as notice is given that the function will become a closed function. Its really up to managers/station discretion as to what they want.

CWA Contract (page 16) Article 4 Classifications. Section H. Duty assignments and functions will be defined based on the needs of the service and may be redefined at management discretion. Duty assignments may be location specific and may consist of a single job assignment, or a combination of two or more job assignments as described above.

At one time (many years ago) we could bid anywhere, but it got hard to allow this because of the special training needed for just baggage when people would bid out forcing the junior people into baggage. Each time someone new got sent to baggage they had to go to training and then the next bid someone else might get forced into baggage and it started all over again. So, baggage is now a closed function along with open time being closed because they also have to cover baggage. There was a bid several years ago where once again everything was open for bid and then the next bid it closed. As long as its posted that way before bidding, any and or all functions can be closed. If they want to they can have baggage/counter/gate/open time all bid together or be closed as long as notice is given that the function will become a closed function. Its really up to managers/station discretion as to what they want.

CWA Contract (page 16) Article 4 Classifications. Section H. Duty assignments and functions will be defined based on the needs of the service and may be redefined at management discretion. Duty assignments may be location specific and may consist of a single job assignment, or a combination of two or more job assignments as described above.
Okay, thanks..
What about the section of the CWA contract(I'm doing this from Memory so I may be off) Article 5 Section K (page 20 I think)-- stating schedules should have duty assigments, start times, days off and are bid on based upon seniority. When I contacted several CWA reps, I was advised that each of the functions is a seperate duty assigment (ie..gate.ato.baggage.open/relief) and our schedules/bids should be for a set duty assignment. Was told that the section you are referenceing would allow a bidable scheduled line to consist of combination of duty functions(example..MT ato off WT, FTS gates) It seems gray and debatable to me Classification vs duty assigment and which part of the contract (the section you reference or the one I have referenced ) clarifies what can and can't be offered as a schedule. With us all lines to bid on the schedule are "floating" function...and while that may be the norm for our very small stations it isn't as effective with larger field stations or hubs. (some float away and some never leave the dock :))

I still see Article 4H trumping Article 5K. 4H says that Duty Assignments will be based on the needs of the service and may be redefined at managements discretion. I take this to mean that if he wants every duty assignment closed then he can do it. If he wants curb to be a separate bid from counter, he can do that. If he wants counter and gate separate, then it is. On the other hand, if he wants everything to be just one big bid, then he can do that as well. 5K says that whatever the Duty Assignments are (when decided by management under 4H), then the bids have to be posted separately and everyone in that group bids by seniority.

I still see Article 4H trumping Article 5K. 4H says that Duty Assignments will be based on the needs of the service and may be redefined at managements discretion. I take this to mean that if he wants every duty assignment closed then he can do it. If he wants curb to be a separate bid from counter, he can do that. If he wants counter and gate separate, then it is. On the other hand, if he wants everything to be just one big bid, then he can do that as well. 5K says that whatever the Duty Assignments are (when decided by management under 4H), then the bids have to be posted separately and everyone in that group bids by seniority.

I appreciate "picking your brain" about this. I am still pushing Article 5 but won't be surprized to have it go as you see it (Article 4). I have had what I hope has been some progressive dialog with the Station Manager and for now have to take a "let's see what happens stance". Just looking for some support when it comes time to present my arguements. Thanks!