Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Nov. 18, 2003

Usually we ask for your activism to win the fights we share. But
today we're asking for something different. We're asking you to
give thanks to the 80,000 grocery workers in California, West
Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio who are holding the line for health
care and good jobs--theirs and ours--by making a small
contribution so their Thanksgiving will be a little less bleak.
Please click on the link below to donate or keep reading for
more information.
https://secure.ga3.org/08/thankgroceryworke...s/nypauBD91s1wa

Striking workers--like Rafael Morga, on the job 30 years with
Ralphs supermarket in Chino, Calif.--are sacrificing their
paychecks to win the battle against employer health care
cutbacks--a fight in which we all have a stake.

These workers need our help. The strike fund dollars they
receive from their union help but can't stretch to cover even
the basic needs of their working families.

As we approach Thanksgiving, give thanks for the stand these
workers are taking...and GIVE just a little to help support
them.

For just $15, you can provide a turkey that will feed the
family of a striking grocery worker this Thanksgiving. (Every
additional $15 you give helps another family.) And you'll let
them know you are grateful for the sacrifice they are making.
Please click below to make your donation.
https://secure.ga3.org/08/thankgroceryworke...s/nypauBD91s1wa

The grocery chains are demanding the workers accept what amounts
to a 75 percent cut in health coverage for new workers and a 50
percent cut for current employees. Like employers across
America, they are trying to boost their profits at the expense
of workers and workers' families. If the grocery chains win,
we'll all have a harder time holding on to the health care
benefits we've bargained and fought for.

Please take a moment today to make a secure donation so workers
holding the line for health care can have a great Thanksgiving.

Donate: Giving is a warm feeling

Spread the word: http://www.unionvoice.org/ct/ddauBD9197wy//

More information: http://www.unionvoice.org/ct/d1auBD9197wU//

Thanks for all you do.
--------------------------------------------------

Screw the overpaid grocery store checkout clerks.

They can get a free turkey the same way I did yesterday: Spend $75 at Ralphs and get a free turkey (mine was 25 pounds). The label said it would have cost $25.

But these morons tell us to shop at OTHER grocery stores during their poutfest; won't it be funny if plenty of shoppers become accustomed to shopping elsewhere? B)

The bloated pay scales of these overpaid slackers make AA's employees look grossly underpaid.

And as a Kroger shareholder, I applaud the company for finally standing up to its overpaid workforce. Any monkey can stock shelves, and with self-serve checkouts already installed, any idiot can scan groceries at the checkout.

FWAAA said:
Any monkey can stock shelves, and with self-serve checkouts already installed, any idiot can scan groceries at the checkout.
I guess any monkey can post here as well? Thanks for your wonderful insight.

...just want to clarify that my comment was in reference to FWAAA's ignorance and not the original post.

What about our own people? How about our fellow American Airlines employees who our out on furlough? They too will have it tough through the holidays. I do hope those grocery workers stick it out and win the battle against corporate greed!

Health care is an entirely different ball game. In my personal opinion, it is unconscionable for an employer to use and wear out your body, and then have the audacity to slash your health care coverage. Without it, it's a matter of time before the employer gets to replace you with one of those 75% cut folks and if you look at this mess very closely, that, is exactly what it's all about.

Health care is not manadatory, employers don't have to provide it. In most cases, it's offered as an incentive to stay and do your job well. Turnover is expensive, unless the turnover replacements are going to come at an attractively cut rate.

AA employees, this very thing is starting to happen in your own employment environment. Tragically, so few can actually see it because the company has you frightened for your very job, and they love it when you are frightened as you are much easier to bargain with.

Grocery workers' health care is just as important to them as American Airlines' health care is to it's employees. There is no difference. Do you think AA would lower the price of a ticket if they were able to cut back your health care by 75%?

Think hard on this one before jumping in with snide remarks.

I'm blowing my own horn very loud, I sent $2,500.00 and I hope each and every striking grocery worker stays the course!

It's the economy and the subsequent action/reaction string. Consider the following parallel issues that have now met:

1) Economy goes sour (and remains except for those at the top earnings levels)...insurance companies' profits dwindle...insurance companies pay less for services...insurance companies require MORE pay in from employer groups such as AA or Krogers.

2) Economy goes sour and passenger demand falls off for extended period...airlines' profits dwindle...airline costs remain same...airline pays MORE into insurance plans (increasing costs at a time when they need to decrease).

Therefore, the insurance companies are sticking it to employers at a time when they cannot afford it. It is a delicate matter and unfortunate all the same.

That being said...of course AA would not decrease the price of a ticket if they tried curbing a rapidly inflating cost (healthcare). The airlines are already bleeding red and since they cannot make a profit at current cost levels, why reduce price at the same time as reducing cost. AA and the others need to cut costs while keeping prices where they are. Simple survival economics.

Why the hell should I give a donation to people who have a job and refuse to work?

If they're having trouble paying their bills, maybe they should try returning to work like 85% of the rest of Americans.

I can think of about 1000 other charities I would prefer to donate to than a bunch of slackers. I hate PETA and I love eating meat, but I'll give the PETA wackos $15 before I give some selfish, lazy, striking workers $15.

The anger should be directed toward the health care providers, that want more, more, more, and the insurance companies who want more, more, more. That's where the reform should be.

JS said:
I hate PETA and I love eating meat, but I'll give the PETA wackos $15 before I give some selfish, lazy, striking workers $15.
...not to stray off topic, but I do like the new PETA/Clay Aikens ads.

Oh good lord.

Insurance companies only provide policies that are consistent with what the employer is willing to pay. If the employer wants to pay 50% less, then the insurance company has to slash benefits, that's how it works. Insurance companies don't necessarily control health care costs, but by forcing healthcare providers to accept their contract payments or loose their insureds as patients, they are directly responsible for why those without insurance pay such exhorbitant prices for the same medical care, and why healthcare providers have no qualms about charging it.

PS - JS, the solidarity those grocery workers are showing could ultimately benefit more than just grocery workers in the long run. Lets just hope that you are not one of them.

WingNaPrayer said:
Insurance companies don't necessarily control health care costs, but by forcing healthcare providers to accept their contract payments or loose their insureds as patients, they are directly responsible
This statement is a contradiction. If they "force" healthcare providers to accept their contract payments, they are controlling the costs to a certain degree. If you don't have insurance then that's your own fault. Anyone can buy insurance.

Bizman said:
The anger should be directed toward the health care providers, that want more, more, more, and the insurance companies who want more, more, more. That's where the reform should be.
WOW, LOL LOL! JS is an insurance geek. Talk about an industry that pretty much demands their own profitability!!! :D

JS, your reply?

Checking it Out said:
Nov. 18, 2003

Usually we ask for your activism to win the fights we share. But
today we're asking for something different. We're asking you to
give thanks to the 80,000 grocery workers in California, West
Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio who are holding the line for health
care and good jobs--theirs and ours--by making a small
contribution so their Thanksgiving will be a little less bleak.
Please click on the link below to donate or keep reading for
more information.
--------------------------------------------------
A nice sentiment. Although I cant remember the TWU ever asking us to "fight" anything, especially concessions.

Grocery workers work hard and dont get paid much. We should help them out if we can.

In addition to our donations maybe you could convince your local to send a fraction of their $10,000,000 to them since you wont be needing it to defend our company paid medical benifits which the TWU gave away over 10 years ago.

After seeing how the airline unions caved in without a fight its no wonder that other industries are expecting, even demanding, that their employees do the same.