Struggling Us Airways Is Still Alive -- But How?

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Struggling US Airways is still alive -- but how?

Despite dire forecasts, big losses, weakest airlines are hanging on
TONY MECIA
Staff Writer

The continued existence of US Airways, which is in its second round of bankruptcy protection and now flirting with a merger, defies the conventional wisdom in vogue since the airline industry went into a tailspin in 2001.

Charlotte Observer (Free Subscription)

Struggling US Airways is still alive -- but how?

Why? Because 700UW, there ARE people in this organization who still have the dedication and professionalism to to everything in their power to make it all work. They are not sitting around ranting and whining about everything they don't like. They are getting on with the jobs at hand and doing it as best as possible. In spite of people such as yourself, they are struggling to keep the airline in business and save their jobs instead of shirking their responsibilities<Philly...cough cough>, and taking up the slack that others leave behind.

I know full well what your response to this will be. You are going to hurl more slanders and vitriol at me, calling me a management hack or a grinning idiot or such. Well, that is fine. And I think you should continue to do it. The world needs people like you, to provide an example of why defeatism and pessimism are the worst of enemies.

US Airways has survived and will continue to do so, no matter how much you try to destroy your fellow men.

This reminds me of when I see a happy camper working at Mcdonalds or walmart. Sorry, but my standards are higher and Uair doesn't meet my standards either. That's why I don't work there anymore and why I now recommend against flying on Uair. Happy french fry job to you!

ggu23311 said:
This reminds me of when I see a happy camper working at Mcdonalds or walmart. Sorry, but my standards are higher and Uair doesn't meet my standards either. That's why I don't work there anymore and why I now recommend against flying on Uair. Happy french fry job to you!
[post="264450"][/post]​

Are you a Frenchman by any chance? I ask that because your snobbery is showing. You say you recommend to people you know that they should not fly on US. Aww, isn't that sweet? Tell all of us, what carrier fits your "standards" and what makes it so superior?

In a restaurant, you would likely be the obnoxious patron who whines and rants about things not being up to your "standards". I would be the cook who spat in your food in response. B)

• Banned
Put down the Koolade.

The only reason this place is surviving is because the employees have given concession after concession after concession, and the creditors will make more money with US surviving then dying.

Management has done NOTHING except to pillage the employees.

Remember Ole Doc Bronner even said if a merger happens then his management can go back to playing golf.

Just look at US finishing last in the quality ratings of the major carriers, I dont see any other airlines top FF forming a group to protest managements lack of putting a decent product for the passengers.

I don't see any other airline having the X-mas meltdown that US did and then US having the audacity to blame the employees and even fail to issue an apology to the employees when the DOT Inspector General's report clearly put the blame ALL on management.

Take off the rose colored glasses and let reality set in.

1. It is in GE's interest to keep U alive, at least for now. They hold the leases on a significant number of U airplanes that they don't have other homes for. As long as they can keep U on life-support with minimum cash flow and still making some lease payments, then it's in their interest to keep U alive. GE doesn't give a hoot about US Air . . . only that they can keep a cash flow going and make lease payments until another leasee can be found for the aircraft. They make money whether US Air does or not.

2. With the parasite/host relationship of the fee-for-departure RJ contracts, it's in the interest of regionals to keep their major alive. FFD guarantees these very high cost RJ outfits making a profit, even while their host is slowly dying. Without the host, these RJ outfits would auger in. RJ costs are at least twice that of narrow body aircraft.

Where did the meltdown specifically occur? Philadelphia. Why did it occur? Inattentiveness of management and anger of employees. Did it happen anywhere else in the system? No. Did Philadelphia try to prevent it? No. Was it exacerbated by employees? Yes.

Do wildcat labor actions ever save companies? NO.

Do wildcat labor actions ever kill companies? Go ask any former Eastern employee about that one.

• Banned
Please show me where a wildcat labor action occured?

If it did US would have hauled the IAM into court so fast it would have made everyone's head spin.

Funny the DOT report makes no mention of a wildcat labor action.

Innattentiveness? Management knew as far back as October that PHL was going to meltdown, it is inexcusable to be 300 jobs short and mandatory employees everyday.

Comair had a computer problem and thier VP resigned, US no one was held accountable.

Go read up on Frank Lorenzo, don't let history and facts get in your way.

Why is Frank Lorenzo banned by the Department of Transportation and Department of Labor from every having anything to do with an airline?

Why did a bankruptcy judge remove him from control of Eastern Airlines and replace him with a trustee?

Like I said, don't let the facts get in your way.

El Gato said:
Are you a Frenchman by any chance? I ask that because your snobbery is showing. You say you recommend to people you know that they should not fly on US. Aww, isn't that sweet? Tell all of us, what carrier fits your "standards" and what makes it so superior?

In a restaurant, you would likely be the obnoxious patron who whines and rants about things not being up to your "standards". I would be the cook who spat in your food in response. B)
[post="264453"][/post]​
Uair continues to lead the race to the bottom, so I'd say any other airline would do. Not only have many been spit on by Uair, but they have lost any viable airline career to return to. By the way, you could probably do better in a resturant.

700UW said:
Comair had a computer problem and thier VP resigned, US no one was held accountable.

Yes. Comair's VP did resign, and Al Kremlin and Donna
Summer should have also been asked to resign, but the
focus of US was and has not been on operational matters
and performance failures. It has been on shoring up the
labor contracts and thinning the herd so that they can
find a buyer or merger partner for US.

The rats in CCY will be released as soon as a deal
has been reached with AWA or whoever decides to
take over the helm at US. Jerry glASS just got
promoted, but it was only done to maximize his
exit package when US is folded into another
company.

Spin Doc YES YES YES... I feel like Ive been saying that for years. Of course, it is more fun to pretend that there is a airline 'operating' strategy at U for discussion purposes only.

ggu23311 said:
[post="264450"][/post]​

Gee, how big of you to wish your former co-workers the unemployment line. You know I'd never wish that on anybody that works here. I only wish everyone the best. Perhaps, the biggest disappointment I've seen lately is former US Airways employees that are bitter and would like nothing better than to see the place burn. What a sad state of mind to be in.

El Gato said:
Where did the meltdown specifically occur? Philadelphia. Why did it occur? Inattentiveness of management and anger of employees. Did it happen anywhere else in the system? No. Did Philadelphia try to prevent it? No. Was it exacerbated by employees? Yes.

Do wildcat labor actions ever save companies? NO.

Do wildcat labor actions ever kill companies? Go ask any former Eastern employee about that one.
[post="264461"][/post]​

El,

Your full of it today...

U is floating. The insurgence of some cash by Air Wis. and Rep Air is keeping us from sinking deeper in quick sand.

Now, U needs one more investor who has nothing better than to throw some cash over to our airline and see what happens. Best write off, ask Bronner.

SpinDoc said:
700UW said:
and Al Kremlin and Donna
Summer should have also been asked to resign, but the
focus of US was and has not been on operational matters
and performance failures.
[post="264467"][/post]​

Donna Summer is responsible for all this? :unsure:

Doot Doot... heeeyyy, beep beep! :groovy:

148256.jpg

Light Years said:
Donna Summer is responsible for all this? :unsure:

Doot Doot... heeeyyy, beep beep! :groovy:

I was thinking exactly the same thing! But I want to know who the Bad Girls are...

Or perhaps the proposed merger is the Last Dance for the CCY management team...

Back