Sully's Today Show Appearance Canceled

Fox News article states: "NTSB spokeswoman Bridget Serchak said Sullenberger was free to give interviews if he wished".

Link here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,480691,00.html

Once again the unions butt into something they really don't need to be involved in...what...are they thinking they're goin to profit from this somehow? I don't know....but what really is the big deal for him to be interviewed, or the other crew members? I just get amazed sometimes at this type of thing and just feel they owe it to employees and the public to explain more clearly their postition. Did Doug state that Sully could not do interviews? I don't believe he has...but the Union? And exactly what is "interested party" status anyway? They aren't interested in anything unless they can make a profit...period!

Of course, since I'm not a pilot, I can't get into their union site further than a few pages to find any explanation to this...if there is one, it would be nice if someone put it on here.

Dougs letter on US News now is good.

Pilots Union is going to look bad

This is most likely why I don't do unions because I'd tell Bradford to "Kiss my Assets in Macy's Window"

F him!

Frankly if the union insisted that he do the interview is when I would take exception. Why stoop low enough to join the media? Besides, do we have really have time for this? Shouldn't we all apologize for being distracted from our duty to sing praises to the savior? Shame on the media for this confusion at such a momentous time as this.

Well that's certainly an interesting take on it. One I had not considered and a strong argument you present.

I'm just not comfortable with any Alphabet organization be it a labor union or government agency even so much as suggesting that any citizen not under arrest remain silent.

Just who are either of these groups to tell any individual what to say and when to say it?

If one pays tribute to a professional organization then one should not be surprised to get advice. But I have to wonder if we have strayed too far off the topic of coronation.

Fox News article states: "NTSB spokeswoman Bridget Serchak said Sullenberger was free to give interviews if he wished".

<snip>

Of course, since I'm not a pilot, I can't get into their union site further than a few pages to find any explanation to this...if there is one, it would be nice if someone put it on here.

Dougs letter on US News now is good.
Wow! Just, wow!.

The fact that you seem to rely on "We always get it wrong" Foxnews somewhat explains your hostile attitude.

You may wish to read post #10 on this thread before embarrassing yourself more.

Stephen Bradford, president of the association, said he asked Sullenberger not to engage in any media activities because the pilots association has "interested party" status with the NTSB, which allows it to participate in the investigation. ..."

This is the excuse usapa gives? What does this even mean, other than usapa's attempt to display its self-aggrandizing ego?

Sully's appearance in any media would be huge!! Bradford is making a big, big mistake with this one.

Sheesh........
NLC, Piney, and everyone,

In all due respect to your opinions, Sully is a big boy, if he really wanted to do interviews he would have done so. The union is not your mom or dad, you are free to think or yourself. Maybe after talking to not only union folks, but maybe other folks like his family or God forbid, members of his crew, HE decided to wait awhile. HE may want his whole crew to be there with him. It is true Sully's appearance would be huge, and guess what, it will still be huge when they do the interview's. Let the crew decompress awhile, spend time with family and friends, and count their blessings that they and all the pax's are here to even do interviews. Give it a rest, do something constructive other than looking in every nook and cranny for something YOU feel the union screwed up on.

SHEESH...............

Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist over this, please keep in mind that usually when there is an accident all comments to the media have to go through Corporate Communications unless otherwise cleared.

I was surprised the company would allow it much less the union.

The crew needs to rest. They just got home and Sulley's still on the road. Poor guy.

If it were me, I'd want to crawl in bed and sleep for a week.

I'm surprised crew scheduling didn't POTA Sully and Skiles while they were sequestered in a NYC hotel. Gotta cover those trips, after all. Pilots and flight attendants are simply steel cogs in the big machine that is USAirways.

Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist over this, please keep in mind that usually when there is an accident all comments to the media have to go through Corporate Communications unless otherwise cleared.
What are they going to do fire him?

I'm surprised crew scheduling didn't POTA Sully and Skiles while they were sequestered in a NYC hotel.
POTA - priority of trip assignment.

An excuse generated with the concurrence of the former pilots union that allows management to understaff an airline by, essentially treating line holders and reserves on their days off, as "on-duty".

It explains why the above categories of pilots do not answer their telephones.

Wow! Just, wow!.

The fact that you seem to rely on "We always get it wrong" Foxnews somewhat explains your hostile attitude.

Wow! yourself...somehow I did miss that thread, and for that I apologize. I still feel a simple interview would not hurt anything..however, I will respect the "process."...don't get in an uproar just because I read something from FOXnews. It's not worth an argument here. As everyone else on these boards, I was only expressing an opinion..be it right or wrong...it was just that..my opinion. This is another reason i've stayed off here for so long...have a great day all!

Wow! Just, wow!.

What part of Bambi's post was hostile?

The part about seeing something on Foxnews? :huh:

So, someone want to tell me that the unions aren't going to attempt to profit themselves from this somehow? I mean heck, they were asked not to talk per the union's request...and the following article states:

A major media tour that would give Danville pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his crew the chance to share their stories is in the works, said James Ray, a spokesman for the United States Airline Pilots Association.

The link can be found here: http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11532099

Again, I respect the process, but question the union's TRUE motives here! Let alone the fact that it looks bad not to fulfill their "word" they gave the TODAY show to begin with, first! Sully had integrity and character, but I'm sure not seeing that from what the union is doing regarding their "media tour."

IMHO

The local NYC media really played up Sully's hometown celebration in Danville, Calif yesterday. For example the NY Daily news has a part of their front page coverning then all of Pages 2 and 3. Here is a link to the online version which is abbreviated from the print version and there are also around 10 photo's from yesterdays event.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2...of_us_ai-1.html

And here is CNN video coverage of the same event.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/24/californi...tml#cnnSTCVideo

Regards

LGA777

Once again it seems that USAPA’s word is useless. It must be in the C&BL to not live up to bargains made.

Katie Couric lands first interview with hero pilot
Jan. 23, 2009, 6:19 PM EST
NEW YORK (AP) -- Katie Couric has landed the first interview with the pilot who safely brought his distressed plane down in the Hudson River — a coup that comes at the expense of her former "Today" show partner Matt Lauer.

The interview with Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his crew will be shown Feb. 8 on CBS' "60 Minutes."
Lauer had been promised the first interview live on Jan. 19. But the day before, Sullenberger's pilots association asked him to postpone interviews while the investigation into U.S. Airways Flight 1549 and its water landing continued.

Sullenberger was praised as a hero for a deft landing on Jan. 15, after both of the plane's engines were disabled following a collision with a flock of birds. All 155 passengers and crew members were rescued.
Despite the postponement, NBC's "Today" said it had a continued commitment with Sullenberger's family and media adviser to have the first interview.

"What Captain Sullenberger did in the cockpit on Flight 1549 was heroic and admirable," said NBC News spokeswoman Megan Kopf. "Unfortunately, people close to him have not acted nearly as admirably over the past few days. They gave us their word, and then broke their commitment. We wish Captain Sullenberger the best."

The "Today" show has no plans now to interview Sullenberger.

The Sullenbergers' media adviser, Alex Clemens of the communications firm Barbary Coast Consulting, confirmed the "60 Minutes" interview but said he would have no other comment.

Back