Sun Country - SY

Does anyone know if they are a public or private company?

I know they have a very new fleet of 737-800s. They have a hub in MSP and seem to compete well against NW. I've been looking for earnings news for them online but haven't found any.

I believe they are privately held...for some reason, I seem to remember that it was a group of employees that "resurrected" the company after they went through BK....

As for fitting in with another carrier? Good question. Outside of some new A/C (which I think are all leased), they really don't offer a whole lot, unless someone wants to fly in/out of the Humphrey terminal in MSP. What I'm driving at is what SY offers, most could get on their own without the headache of a merger or acquisition.

Just my .02

I believe they are privately held...for some reason, I seem to remember that it was a group of employees that "resurrected" the company after they went through BK....

As for fitting in with another carrier? Good question. Outside of some new A/C (which I think are all leased), they really don't offer a whole lot, unless someone wants to fly in/out of the Humphrey terminal in MSP. What I'm driving at is what SY offers, most could get on their own without the headache of a merger or acquisition.

Just my .02
Kev, from what I was told by a SY Manager in MSP, about 8-9 months ago, SY was about this close l<->l from being acquired by AirTran. IIRC, according to him, a Private Investor bought it. I also believe he said it was some Dude that struck it good on the Stock market.

I think they'd be a good fit with AS. AS doesn't fly to MSP right now. They fly to a lot of the same west coast and Mexican destinations that AS services so they could consolidate ground handling and ticket services. They also fly MSP to ANC.... It would also give AS a bigger presence east of the rockies.

Sun Country was founded by a bunch of ex-Braniff II employees.
They are privately held and run a lot of charters as well as scheduled domestic service from MSP as well as Mexican flights.
They recently started MSP - IAD, which, incidentally, is Compass's first route.
I do not see Sun Country being bought out too quickly. Although I could see AS using them to fly into Mexico and add some MSP routes.

Latest posts