Target and Wal-Mart employee job action Black Friday

Last year they offered some sort of gift card and/or special employee discount for working the day of job action. The people running TGT and WMT aren't stupid, they aren't going to bow down this nonsense.

Josh

From the article:

“I want people to be able to live better, you know, like the commercial says…"

“I need to be able to take care of my family,” Anthony Goytia told reporters on a conference call...

Neither of those sound like "nonsense" to me...

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
From the article:

“I need to be able to take care of my family,” Anthony Goytia told reporters on a conference call...

You don't get it. They are running businesses, day after Thanksgiving is the biggest revenue day of the year they can't have disruptions to the operation. Target, Wal-Mart or any employer can unilaterally impose whatever terms of employment they would like subject to DOL guidelines, labor law, etc. If the employees don't like what they are being offered, time to find a new job. How effective have these stupid fast food strikes been? Again, I know you applaud and condone this type of action but this is outrageous. As for me, I won't be setting foot in any shopping malls that day but will be interested to watch this closely. Btw I don't support stores commercializing the Thanksgiving holiday.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Kev3188 said:
 From the article:

What is an acceptable wage for stocking shelves and running a register?

I do agree the TV ads Wal-Mart is airing to try boost their image are very misleading. But again Kev do you really believe it is viable to make these jobs higher paying jobs with cushy benefits like the unions/defacto UFCW groups have been pushing for? The fact is most working and middle class families in the United States depend on Wal-Mart for household essentials, food, and pharmacy items especially in rural communities. I'm not saying they are perfect but for all the people that bash Wal-Mart why don't they attack Bed Bath Beyond, CVS, TJX (Marshalls/TJ Maxx) or Walgreens for paying similar low wages and not offering affordable health care benefits to most employees?

Josh

737823 said:
I do agree the TV ads Wal-Mart is airing to try boost their image are very misleading. But again Kev do you really believe it is viable to make these jobs higher paying jobs with cushy benefits like the unions/defacto UFCW groups have been pushing for? The fact is most working and middle class families in the United States depend on Wal-Mart for household essentials, food, and pharmacy items especially in rural communities. I'm not saying they are perfect but for all the people that bash Wal-Mart why don't they attack Bed Bath Beyond, CVS, TJX (Marshalls/TJ Maxx) or Walgreens for paying similar low wages and not offering affordable health care benefits to most employees?

Josh

Good point.....

So everyone wants to work at Wal Mart?

Someone ought to tell those workers there are shortages out there....May have to get off their fat asses and work for it   and then move out of town in the long run.

In the United States, the top 10 hardest jobs to fill in 2012 include:
1. Skilled Trades
2. Engineers
3. IT Staff
4. Sales Representatives
5. Accounting & Finance Staff
6. Drivers
7. Mechanics
8. Nurses
9. Machinists/Machine Operators
10. Teachers
http://press.manpower.com/press/2012/talent-shortage/

I do believe Obama still gives out Pell and student loans plus many states are recruiting for skilled trade schooling.