Ted- The Speculation

I'm attending a briefing today on the LCC. I have to agree with all the speculation about the new name. "Ted" seems to be it. I'd be willing to bet on it!!

Ted. At first I thought it was stupid, but after a while it kind of grows on you.

What amazes me most is that this is coming from UAL. This is a company that did away with "Fly the Friendly Skies" for "Rising". The creativity displayed on the meetted.com website is mind boggling. Maybe I haven't been giving them enough credit. :blink:

Nova, did you find out anything of interest at the LCC briefing?

I'm with 737nCH11. At first I was distinctly underwhelmed, but it does grow on you. Plus, unlike Song, there in an easily discernible relation to the parent comapny name. What I am impressed with is the "guerilla" marketing campign. It is seems to be working quite well, and more than that, it shows a creativity that was previously unheard of at Ted's pop. It is nice to see some new thinking going on. I want a -TED sticker for my car.

It's kind of ironic but about 9 months or so ago when the LCC talk started there was a joke going around among employees as to what it would be named. The joke went like this:

Have you heard what the low cost carrier is gonna be called?

No, what?

Ted

Huh?

Ted, cause it's not gonna include U n' I

OK, here's what I got out of the LCO briefing. The company will have to tell us the new name by November 18. This is the date the LCO opens for sale. The fares will be extremely low and changeable. The LCO will fly DEN to RNO, LAS, ONT, PHX, MCO, TPA and MSY to start. There is one more city, which I can't remember right now. LCO will inaugurate its first flight on FEB 12, 2004. LCO will have its own website (www.flyted.com??? This site is not operational which leads be to believe the new name is TED). There will be new livery of 737's and will be one cabin only. There will be economy plus seating also and customers will be offered the opportunity to buy their way into economy plus at the ATO's. Pass travel and EMP20's also available. The LCO will have its own route structure and also feed into the mainline. LCO will have its own phone number, but will feed into North America reservations.

If TED is the new name, I agree with the clever marketing campaign going on right now. I agree that TED grows on you. At first I thought it was silly, but it does grow on you and I really like it now. TED is cute! TED is fun!! With cute lettering, TED will be a knock-out in marketing. Some fun sayings are "I have a date with TED to go to LAS" or "TED will be arriving at 2 pm. today" or "I have to pick-up Amy at the airport who is arriving with TED". Lot's you can do with TED.

Nova,

I believe that employees would really get into this TED thing if management would give them free reign. It would be a change of pace and would relieve some of the stuffiness associated with mainline.

"How sad it will be when Ted is Dead". :huh: Yes.........I guess your right.......that was fun!

I like what United is doing with the promotion effort. This type of effort generates questions and discussions from the public on what TED is and this will cause it to become more well known when the offical announcement is made. Well done United for this part now the real question on everyone minds is will this so called 'LCC' be successful remains to be answered.

Perhaps bit off topic here; but, does anyone really know anything about this "MDA" which appears to be sometime referred as "MAA", and sometime referred to as "MidAtlantic"?

Is this outfit just another young whipper snapper coming out of a cocoon? How qualified will its crews be? Who will be insuring that the aircraft are properly maintained (and cleaned)? What sort of customer support may be expected from such an outfit? What sort of ground support may be expected? Among many more questions that may be asked.

I feel there will be no such questions about TED.

Back