Temporary Fleet Service Clerk Holiday Help

For all practical purposes a national unemployment rate of 4% is full employment. That 4% unemployed are the unemployable--people who (due to lack of education, training and/or physical capability or other handicap) do not fit any employer's requirements. We don't need to shut off immigration. We need to increase it. The labor problem in this country is not due to the closing of heavy industry, it's due to the lack of people available to do the work.

Fleet clerk--temporary or permanent--is hard work. Good luck finding people who will take the job AND stay--particularly since the employment premise is that you will work Thanksgiving day and Christmas day, and come January 1st, your unemployed again.

Post a single part-time position for an AA FSC and there will be hundreds of applications, based upon what I have heard from various hiring managers. Granted many of those people would be unable or unwilling to perform the job, but the other issue you missed were that some people are unable to pass a background check or drug test. Frankly, with some stations requiring a Customs seal for all FSC positions, which does not cover only the last 10 years, but rather starting from the age of 17 which will eliminate even some who are current employees.

I would love to know how much they pay these temps. I would also love to see how much overtime they are costing the employees. On the plus side I guess more employees are getting the holidays off.

Post a single part-time position for an AA FSC and there will be hundreds of applications, based upon what I have heard from various hiring managers. Granted many of those people would be unable or unwilling to perform the job, but the other issue you missed were that some people are unable to pass a background check or drug test. Frankly, with some stations requiring a Customs seal for all FSC positions, which does not cover only the last 10 years, but rather starting from the age of 17 which will eliminate even some who are current employees.

Agreed. The point I was making was that these people are unemployable, and I simply listed a few reasons that came to mind. Not being able to pass a background check is one that I should have thought of first when talking about airline jobs. Passing the physical (especially, blood tests) is another. See how retirement can make you forget important things.

The biggest roadblock to filling the jobs is finding people who are willing to do the job. In the past month I have run across 3 incidences of young people not showing up for work. Two of them did not show up for their first day at work. Both got bent big time when they did show up a day or two later and were told they were not needed. The other one never called or came by. Seems they want a paycheck, but they do not want to work for it.

Fleet clerk--temporary or permanent--is hard work. Good luck finding people who will take the job AND stay--particularly since the employment premise is that you will work Thanksgiving day and Christmas day, and come January 1st, your unemployed again.
I think your last paragraph hit the nail on the head.

Seems they want a paycheck, but they do not want to work for it.
Jimntx how much are these temps making an hour?

Like you said in your previous post:

I can't see many being enticed to work a hard labor temp job working holidays. Airline jobs are not as prestigious as they once were and the economy is doing great. Most people that want a job and are employable already have a full time job.

Would YOU load bags in inclement weather and work holidays for a temp job in this economy? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I would (actually, I did), but I also knew that if things worked out, it would lead to a permanent spot.
You make an excellent point Kev3188. I understand SOME might have a shot at getting on permanent.

However when you couple the loss of buying power and benefits airline employees have endured with how long it takes to top out the prospect might seem a bit less enticing than it did when you hired on.

To put it bluntly a new hire is not getting as good of a "deal" as you did when you were hired.

I think given the current contract situation and concessions since 9/11 we can both agree on that.