The Tech Thread

I want to buy a plain, simple digital readout bathroom scale. Thought I'd do some research and see what's what.
First, most come with a tempered 8mm glass top that you stand on. Sweet.
Second, some hook up to wifi and broadcast your fat arse on the internet....and that's just the beginning.

Talk about technology.....

Next, going to research the world of flat screen TV's which I know jack about.......I have two Sony 32" Trinitron Tv's that still work great, have excellent color and so on.....so to this point, a flat screen hasn't been a big issue. Now I'm looking into internet Tv instead of satellite.

A whole new technological terror to delve into.

I want to buy a plain, simple digital readout bathroom scale. Thought I'd do some research and see what's what.
First, most come with a tempered 8mm glass top that you stand on. Sweet.
Second, some hook up to wifi and broadcast your fat arse on the internet....and that's just the beginning.

Talk about technology.....

Next, going to research the world of flat screen TV's which I know jack about.......I have two Sony 32" Trinitron Tv's that still work great, have excellent color and so on.....so to this point, a flat screen hasn't been a big issue. Now I'm looking into internet Tv instead of satellite.

A whole new technological terror to delve into.

I have cable internet (100 MPS) with TV. I did one DVR box so the wife could record her shows. I used to have the small boxes in every room in the house w/TV ( 4 more boxes). I recently ditched all the boxes and kept the DVR. I put ROKU express in every other room and use the Cable TV app and Amazon Prime for all my content. Works great. I now own the ROKU devices and pay for only 1 box. Saved me $16/month. Roku will be paid for in less than a year.

I have a dual band router with a dual range extender that gets my WiFi to my garage and far reaches of house. All very fast. I white hat all my devices on my network and have a dedicated guest network.

I went to all flat screen years ago. I still have one LCD TV. Puts out a lot of heat, but I won’t replace it till it dies. All the rest are LED.

I recently bought my wife this Smart TV for the kitchen. Granted it is only a 24 inch 720P but..... it is in a kitchen.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-class-23-8-diag--led-720p-smart-hdtv/5723390.p?skuId=5723390

5723390_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

She watches Netflix and Hulu on it.

I also added this HDTV antenna.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mohu-l...v-antenna-black-white/3488006.p?skuId=3488006

3488006_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

What is interesting about this is you can power it from a wall outlet or your TV's USB port. It is also reversible (one side black, one side white) and paintable.

229.98 Total cost (plus tax)

Plus side is it is a Smart TV so you don't need anything extra to stream. Works really well, I recommend it.

Last edited:
I have two Sony 32" Trinitron Tv's that still work great, have excellent color and so on.....
I have one of those as well. They are like a Volvo, they're boxy but they're good.

0knXKnHl.png

This is the model I have, though not my specific TV.

s-l1600.jpg

I gave up cable about 4 years ago and I don't really miss it. I have a 46" Toshiba LED and I have my PC (running Linux) connected to it. I also have a Roku USB in it. I've found that the HD picture from over the air channels is better than it was with cable (no compression) and I get surprisingly good reception with just the indoor antenna. There is a TON of stuff on Youtube and it's kind of nice to watch it from my recliner instead of staring at a computer or laptop monitor.

I gave up cable about 4 years ago and I don't really miss it. I have a 46" Toshiba LED and I have my PC (running Linux) connected to it. I also have a Roku USB in it. I've found that the HD picture from over the air channels is better than it was with cable (no compression) and I get surprisingly good reception with just the indoor antenna. There is a TON of stuff on Youtube and it's kind of nice to watch it from my recliner instead of staring at a computer or laptop monitor.

Ubuntu?

Linux Mint. I've been running it exclusively for 4 years. Used to have a dual boot but never went to the Windows side....That PC died (power surge) and I bought the cheapest Dell they had at Best Buy and blew away Windows and put Mint on. If I needed windows, I used Virtualbox with a Windows 7 instance on it, usually to remote in to work from home. Then my company switched the VPN software to Cisco Anyconnect which can run on Linux. I've never looked back. A low end PC does everything I need it to. I honestly think that you could take someone who was used to Windows XP and set the in front of a box with Mint on it and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

You got me beat by 4 inches. I used a 40 inch 1080 TV for my computer monitor.

I am going to build a new PC next year and will probably upgrade to a 50 inch 4K.

As far as ROKU....well I have a 4th gen Apple TV and a 1st gen Roku and I can tell you I prefer the Roku hands down. My only complaint is you can't control volume with Roku.

I find that touch pad on the Apple to be too imprecise for rewind and forwarding functions. The only reason I have an Apple TV is because I own a few things on itunes.

Of course having a Smart TV kills some of the benefit of having a Roku but LG does not seem to offer HBO so I still use it.

Linux Mint. I've been running it exclusively for 4 years. Used to have a dual boot but never went to the Windows side....That PC died (power surge) and I bought the cheapest Dell they had at Best Buy and blew away Windows and put Mint on. If I needed windows, I used Virtualbox with a Windows 7 instance on it, usually to remote in to work from home. Then my company switched the VPN software to Cisco Anyconnect which can run on Linux. I've never looked back. A low end PC does everything I need it to. I honestly think that you could take someone who was used to Windows XP and set the in front of a box with Mint on it and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I used to run WIndows 10, 7, and Ubuntu all at the same time using VMWare (That's why I have 32 gigs of RAM). I don't use 7 anymore after using Sandboxie software. I still have Ubuntu but really only use it to stay familiarized with it.

Any of you do any HTML or CSS coding (Web Design)?

I do Networking for a living but like to dabble in other disciplines.

I have a MacBook Pro 2009 model. I just replaced the HDD with a TB SSD & left the DVD drive in. Boot went from several minutes to a few seconds. All my applications still awesome. I have a windows machine from the same time and it is a door stop. I still have my 27” $799 Apple LED Cinema Display I bought on clearance from BestBuy in 2011 for $499. My iPad is my main internet interface.

My BIL is a network admin for a major hospital network and he loves my setup. Of course he has many layers of stuff that I have used and learned that are really cool. He is also former NSA supergeeknerd.

I also forgot to shout out my to my Dog friend. Love you man. You need to follow @darth on twitter.

Ruff said. Piece out

I have a MacBook Pro 2009 model. I just replaced the HDD with a TB SSD & left the DVD drive in. Boot went from several minutes to a few seconds. All my applications still awesome. I have a windows machine from the same time and it is a door stop. I still have my 27” $799 Apple LED Cinema Display I bought on clearance from BestBuy in 2011 for $499. My iPad is my main internet interface.

My BIL is a network admin for a major hospital network and he loves my setup. Of course he has many layers of stuff that I have used and learned that are really cool. He is also former NSA supergeeknerd.

I also forgot to shout out my to my Dog friend. Love you man. You need to follow @darth on twitter.

Ruff said. Piece out
When you say Network Admin do you mean he works with routers and switches or do you mean he works with servers?