They never got started

Hello Newman

Senior
Aug 23, 2002
I can think of two airlines that existed on paper only and never materialized, Columbia Air, based out
of BWI, and Sun Air, based out of DFW. Can anyone add to this list?

Oneida Airlines was supposed to fly out of Utica, NY. Then they changed their name to Legacy and were supposed to hub Syracuse. In both cases, their business plan was a joke and they never saw the light of day.

The Coast was supposed to fly coast-to-coast, but never went anywhere.

Crystal Airways is supposed to be based in Tampa and is still issuing press releases (see link below). I doubt this one's getting off the ground either.

http://www.crystalairways.com/

Heres another one AirFlorida based at Mid-America here in STL.Never got off the ground.

A couple of years ago, there was a group of businessmen in Wichita that was planning on reviving Braniff yet again. It never materialized, although had it, it would most likely have set a record for the number of times an airline name has been revived.

The last few pages of "Deregulation Knockouts: Round 1" by Tom Norwood contains a few pages of paper airlines. They included a photo of a DC-9 painted in the colors of Columbia Air mentioned by Hello Newman (nice looking livery too). However, most of it is a just list without many details. I beleive the book is available through Airways Magazine.

There was a scam called "Family Airlines" that was going to be based in LAS, flying 747''s, and to be an employee, just send a few grand.

There was Air Portland which never materialized, Crystal Air based in TPA never made it either. There was one called Northeast that never got started either.

As for Onedia Air, what a long running joke that was, and whichever one that the big scam artist Ed Beauvais is trying to stary in Syracuse.

Crystal Airways is still working for money but will most likely never achieve flight. Their interiors look nice though. Crystalairways.com

Legacy Airlines (Oneida), finally after the years I followed them, had their site disabled for the last time. Flylegacy.com

Northern Airlines is back by the Pyramid Corp, for their DestiNY USA at Syracuse. They should be up and running soon. Flynorthern.com

As a resident of Tampa and frequent TPA traveler I hope Crystal makes it off the ground, as many business people are ready for some sort of luxury airline, but we do realize it won’t last long like Legend Airlines.

SkyTeam out of Meachem Field, Ft. Worth, TX.

They were to start intra-Texas service out of FTW with 737s. At the same time, Mesa started RJ service within Texas. The difficulties SkyTeam had raising cash was exacerbated by the Mesa operation.

Unfortunately, for the Ft. Worth community, Mesa pulled the plug on that operation eight months after it started.

My nickname for the SkyTeam operation was "SkyDream."