This Pig Won't Fly

nycbusdriver said:

That's why the policy is in place.  To assist the captain in making the proper decision.  If that policy was followed, then that means the company intends to defend its position, and that decision.
NY, do you make the decision on your own, or do you consult with the company before saying yea or nay?

LD3 said:
NY, do you make the decision on your own, or do you consult with the company before saying yea or nay?
The lawyers have made a flow chart to consult.

But it doesn't overide good judgement.

We refused an airplane because it in our opinion was not safe....

Company said it was safe.. And MEL was acceptable...

Briefed the next crew and went home...

Crew decided (I have no idea why)... To take the aircraft.

Talked to the agent the next day who worked the flight. I had looked it up and saw it diverted..

They took off and it shook so bad they diverted back to BOS...

LD3 said:

It's a rare occurrence, but there is a company policy, complete with decision tree, that must be followed before a captain can remove someone.  That's what I am paid to do, so that's what I do.  Sometimes medical experts need to be consulted, sometimes my boss, sometimes a specially trained customer service supervisor, sometimes more than one consultation.  The procedure is laid out quite explicitly.

That being said, the captain still has ultimate authority to override all of these consultations if he/she is convinced that the passenger's presence would compromise safety.  The "nuclear option" is:  Passenger gets off, or captain removes him/herself from the flight and the company can find another pilot.  I have never heard of it going that far, but that is always in place.

Dog Wonder said:
And you are the judge.

Animals assisting with physical disabilities are almost always professionally- and extensively-trained dogs, or highly trained service monkeys.  They are so vetted in their training, that virtually nothing will distract them from their job and they pose no threat to safety, or anyone else.

The problem with "emotional support" animals is that these are usually simply pets which may not have any training, including "house" training.  While I understand and accept the fact that these animals are important to their owner to get along in the world, that should not mean an entire airplane full of people in a sealed aluminum tube need be subjected to the animal's whims.  Suppose someone showed up with a rooster as their emotional support animal?  ...or a baby reticulated python?  These animals are just as important to their owners.  Should a note from their doctor preclude the sensible decision to deny boarding to those animals?

Emotional support animals should be vetted with an equivalent certification that seeing-eye dogs are.  Or, better yet, the doctor who signed the letter should be required to fly along, or at the very least, be held personally liable for any incident/damage that may occur as a result of the animal's presence.

Reactions: 2 people
If you charged for all Service Animals (I realize the law doesn't allow that) my guess is emotional service animals almost disapear.

Reactions: 1 person
While walking through DFW one day, I overheard a passenger explain to another passenger that "Fifi doesn't like to travel in a carrier, so I just went to my doctor and got him to write a note saying she is an emotional support animal."  What a surprise!

traderjake said:

This moron doesn't know the difference between a seeing eye dog and someone's pet pig.

Hope you never have to sit next to the pig.
when pigs fly........................never mind.

Latest posts