Turning Point

Bob

Although in other industries there are paycuts which might be less than 25%, they have also been outsourced and had jobs eliminated. It's alot worse than a paycut.

While like I said there are other things to be done, I am sorry, but I cannot justify $30 an hour to clean airplanes (just an example, perhaps outdated). I cannot justify some of the SCOPE limitations either--the nonsense about pilots being threatened for trying to help with baggage is a perfect example of needed change. The protectionist nonsense has to stop. If a group cannot or will not complete a job it still needs to be done--and I don't think it matters anymore WHO does it as long as it gets DONE. I can't tell you how angry it makes me to pull up to a gate in PHL and have the pilot announce there's no one to park us--while 5 or more people are sitting at the next gate having coffee and reading the paper. Turns out they wouldn't park us because we're not in their zone...that's NONSENSE. Just do the job!!! THESE are the rules which MUST change. These changes would have been far less painful than what's going on now.

Everyone has to work together--it is as much labor vs. labor as it is labor vs. management or management or labor vs. customer. It should be labor WITH labor--everyone should be working TOGETHER.

The bottom line is no one likes what's going on but it's reality. You need to MAKE IT WORK.

My sincere thanks to all the hard working U employees who actually do make the difference--YOU people are the reason that my colleagues and I stay loyal.

My BEST to you all......

Art at ISP said:

I am sorry, but I cannot justify $30 an hour to clean airplanes (just an example, perhaps outdated)

But this mentality and the acceptance of bogus information (cleaners do not get $30 per hour, I think topout is $17 and change), is part of the overall problem. People should not comment or make judgements based on incorrect info. But that is what is happening......

Bob Owens said:
Well according to many in this industry passengers like you do not exist!
[post="235643"][/post]​

Bob,

You know, for a long time I thought that too! Then I found a place called the internet and I found that I wasn't alone. Now, I can't tell you if that's good or bad. The way I figure it, either I don't really have that defective gene or everyone else does <G>! Scary thought <G>

I see lots of other folks have chimed in too. I can tell you this, I have made US preferred the last two years on my own dime. Did I choose more expensive flights to do it? In some cases, you bet. Why, because I really appreciate the perks that come with the card and because I was always (and still am) proud to be a US FF.

Look, I feel bad for the employees who are caught in this turmoil. I wish there was a way to get Mr Lakefields attention but I'm way too far down the food chain to see him with binoculars. I can tell you I sympathize. In 2002, at the age of 52, I took a 100% pay cut. Company didn't cut wages, they laid off 10%. I would gladly have accepted a 25% cut to keep my job. Didn't have the choice. So, I am now consulting and I worry every night that when this project ends I won't find another and there goes the house and all the possesions. I feel your pain.

Up to now, US has been one of the bright spots in my life. I won't mention that I feel like a million bucks when I'm upgraded. So I'll continue to root for US and with any luck (some might say a miracle) we can have lots more years together.

"So honestly, besides kissing U goodbye, what are your ideas? In no way am I saying this arrogantly or with anger (you gotta hate the internet for THAT). I just keep hearing so much of the same stories of why we CAN'T do something, instead of what we can actually DO. Thanks."

Like it or not, Wolf and Gangwal were right - There is NO PLAN B for US Airways outside of a merger/acquisition. As the last few years have indicated, a standalone US is unworkable for the long haul because its a race to the bottom - declining costs are chasing falling revenues within an ever-shrinking network. Therefore, the best Lakefield can do is put the airline in a position where it can best deploy its remaining assets to tread water for a couple more years until industry conditions are ripe for a merger. US simply cannot afford to do anything else.

avek00 said:
"So honestly, besides kissing U goodbye, what are your ideas? In no way am I saying this arrogantly or with anger (you gotta hate the internet for THAT). I just keep hearing so much of the same stories of why we CAN'T do something, instead of what we can actually DO. Thanks."

Like it or not, Wolf and Gangwal were right - There is NO PLAN B for US Airways outside of a merger/acquisition. As the last few years have indicated, a standalone US is unworkable for the long haul because its a race to the bottom - declining costs are chasing falling revenues within an ever-shrinking network. Therefore, the best Lakefield can do is put the airline in a position where it can best deploy its remaining assets to tread water for a couple more years until industry conditions are ripe for a merger. US simply cannot afford to do anything else.
[post="235877"][/post]​

Well, thanks for the honesty. I wish I could be more optimistic that anyone would ever WANT to merge with US.

The "employees" of other airlines do not want to merge with us. Who could blame them. When conditions improve and if we are still here, a merger/acquistion is very likely. Not too long ago, AA was willing to pay $1.2 billion for 20% of US.

avek00 said:

[post="235877"][/post]​

There was a Plan -B-. They resigned and took a 15mil each parachute. :angry:

air chief said:
There was a Plan -B-. They resigned and took a 15mil each parachute. :angry:
[post="236120"][/post]​

This truely started the demise of US Airways. To me, that statement/decision will always go down in history as the single biggest US blunder...and God knows we have had ALOT.

HEY TRIP CONFIRMED,

You want solutions? An understanding? I think NOT!! You want to b!tch!! You said you read my post and you labeled it as blame and NO solutions. Read again!! How many positive responses have YOU ever gotten from anyone? You are a trouble maker. You prove it over and over again. How about taking a look at your past post. Whether an employee or customer or just a trouble maker, YOU are a part of the problem and NOT a part of the solution. But I'm sure you will have some wise-ass response. :down: :angry:

I'll tell you what I think of your suggestions:

Management vs. Labor
Yup. Needs to be fixed. I highly doubt it will happen, though.

Labor vs. Labor
This doesn't need management to fix it. Sure, it'd help, but it's not required like it is for the one above. Yet from what I read around here, few in labor are interested. It's a shame.

US vs. the Customer
Yup. No business that treats their customers as the enemy can survive, unless they have a monopoly on a really important product. US doesn't have that.

US vs. the Stockholder
Ya know what? I doubt the U stockholders of 1999 would approve of what Bronner has done. But those stockholders lost everything they had. So did whoever decided to buy UAIR. Kinda renders that point moot. ;)

US's Mission
I wholeheartedly agree. In a competitive market, the mission is, if you pardon the pun, mission-critical. There's nothing wrong with the mission Wolf came up with. There is something wrong with the execution. Personally, I'd choose not to try to be B6, just because it's better to carve out your own niche than to try to muscle into someone else's. My recommendation would be to try to make Wolf's mission be reality. You have the paint and the planes, so there wouldn't be any reconfiguration costs. But it's far better to try to be B6 than to not try to be anything. :huh:

Anyway, I think your post was excellent overall, albeit just a bit light on specifics. It sure beats the typical vitriol. :up:

Thanks. That's the point I was trying to make with a certain poster. You can't win here. If you say anything positive, someone shoots you down. If you say anything negative, you are spewing bile. I AM NOT IN MANAGEMENT. Mine are but suggestions. I am about ready to take my $10,000 and say f### you to everything and everyone involved with this operation. It is a black cloud and cursed. I can and WILL do better. I'm tired of fighting the entitled, the negative, hopeless, and the big mouthed trouble makers who have NOTHING positive to contribute. I have had enough!! :down:

Trin03 said:
Dammed good post! It takes someone, like yourself, working for the company, on the front lines to really put it out there!

Being an agent for many years! I totally understand all you are saying!

Proud to have you as a co-worker!
[post="234937"][/post]​

UNREAL!! EXCELLENT POST !!!

Some good ideas here.
First, just a note to the zone boarder.... it is actually by row numbers. Zone 1 and 2 are the same people who would get "First or Priority" boarding if boarding by rows. Zone 3 starts at the back of the plane working forward (except for the 757 where Zone 3 is to the left of the boarding door). Depending on the size of the plane you will have 6 to 8 zones, but they are BY ROW NUMBER. The approach was changed because people couldnt figure Row 20 and higher didnt mean row 9. Zones are more specific for boarding although they are done the same as by rows.

Now to some suggestions.....

I think the club should continue to be offered as a purchase option for those who travel often, however I think anyone on a PURCHASED F or A ticket should also be allowed to use the club on day of departure. I know there is usually plenty of room in the clubs for a couple of F ticketed people to use it AND it would make the value of the F ticket that much more worthwhile without adding a lot of extra burden on the clubs. If you travel F all the time you wouldnt have to have a membership, but if you travel in coach and get the upgrades, you could still buy it. Especially if there is going to be a new fare structure offered with F being a little over N, some people might actually buy the F to get into the clubs since they are paying full price anyway and for $100 over N will get the F seat AND into the club it might be worth it. :up:

I think its time for a new name on this pig as well. Too many bad memories for a lot of people and even the "WAYS" isnt going to change that. Those who are FFs on us will know who we are with a new name and those who only fly us once a year will likely only see a new named carrier and not remember or know who we were. It would also make the second exit from bankruptcy something to celebrate with a new name and logo. It could also incorporate new uniforms (I know they cost money, but the company has replacement uniforms to buy anyway and new hires are going to have to get something to wear anyway as well so just do it.) and help us get rid of the stuffy mortician look we currently carry around. I'm tired of the frump and looking at the other carriers (not just WN), they are going more business casual. Either that or take it to the other extreme and make it VERY business professional like some of the European and Asian carriers.

Many of the other suggestions here are "NO BRAINERS" like a simplified fare structure.

Who says MBA has to actually mean Major Brain Atrophy? :shock: :up:

Latest posts