TWU Local 514 Special Meeting at the UMAC

Raptor

Veteran
Sep 23, 2003
Tulsa
I just got back from the special meeting at the UMAC in Tulsa, I stayed for about 30 minutes that was more than enough for me, There were about 800 people there including spouses which is actually a little less than what I thought would be there, were talking 800 out of almost 7,000 people here in Local 514 :eek: not very impressive to say the least, Louis started out by telling everyone what the company offered us for the extension, anyone want to care to guess what it was :unsure: it was exactly what Local 565 said it was word for word imagine that and Burchette said they were lieing :angry: , I was surprised to hear him go into the details he must have got alot of heat to do that, he did mention some of the stuff that Local 565 left out and Burchette had listed but he did not go into the details on those items, only on the stuff that we already knew thanks to Local 565, he showed some boring films of people saying what they wanted and that is when I left, I am assuming they will take a strike vote at some time but as I said I had already seen enought, I will say one thing about Burchette and that is he puts on a hell of alot better show than Louis, it was just a really dry boring no energy meeting in my opinion, so Chuck and Ken you guys did not miss anything trust me, you were better off staying home and watching TV.

I was a bit surprised to see Louis running the whole meeting by himself, No Burchette, No Jim Little, hell Ramano wasn't there either :rolleyes: he must have been busy.
I was not very optimistic before the meeting, now I am even less, good luck line guys you are going to need it.
I did not have to show any ID they just asked for an Employee Number, also spouses were there.

Did anyone else that went have a diffent take on the meeting than me ? :unsure:

I just got back from the special meeting at the UMAC in Tulsa, I stayed for about 30 minutes that was more than enough for me, There were about 800 people there including spouses which is actually a little less than what I thought would be there, were talking 800 out of almost 7,000 people here in Local 514 :eek: not very impressive to say the least, Louis started out by telling everyone what the company offered us for the extension, anyone want to care to guess what it was :unsure: it was exactly what Local 565 said it was word for word imagine that and Burchette said they were lieing :angry: , I was surprised to hear him go into the details he must have got alot of heat to do that, he did mention some of the stuff that Local 565 left out and Burchette had listed but he did not go into the details on those items, only on the stuff that we already knew thanks to Local 565, he showed some boring films of people saying what they wanted and that is when I left, I am assuming they will take a strike vote at some time but as I said I had already seen enought, I will say one thing about Burchette and that is he puts on a hell of alot better show than Louis, it was just a really dry boring no energy meeting in my opinion, so Chuck and Ken you guys did not miss anything trust me, you were better off staying home and watching TV.

Thanks for the update, but man that had to be the longest sentence ever. :p

Thanks for the update, but man that had to be the longest sentence ever. :p

:up: :up: :up: Hey I put a comma or two in there,

Louis did say something about they were going to try and get the line guys a high cost of living, area premium, so I guess the line guys will like that if it actually happens.

How come local 514 seems to get all the dud presidents, you would think that out of 7,000 people there would be someone worth a danm that could do the job, there were actually only like 8 people that even ran for the position.

I was a bit surprised to see Louis running the whole meeting by himself, No Burchette, No Jim Little, hell Ramano wasn't there either :rolleyes: he must have been busy.
I was not very optimistic before the meeting, now I am even less, good luck line guys you are going to need it.
I did not have to show any ID they just asked for an Employee Number, also spouses were there.

EDITED for clarity and to include a question for attendance at a Union Meeting "on the clock." Boomer
Another non-event, event. Did you see Burchette actually in attendance and state that he actually spoke?

"...Today in Tulsa the company annouced the special meeting at the Umac over the loud speaker, I am assuming it was base wide but did not confirm that,... he reminded everyone to go to the Union meeting at the umac and if you worked that day to see your supervisor about getting off to go to the meeting, he said just bring your AA ID card nothing was mentioned about a Union card...have I ever heard the company volunteer to let you off to go to a Union meeting ...Rumour has it that the 4 of them will be asking everyone to join hands down on the floor so we can all sing combyah together... "

In the above quoted prior post, you repeated a rumor that AA Management would be in attendance: were any of them there, and how many TWU Members attended on the clockj?

WHAT kind of a union would ever agree to having FUUKING management present, at a meeting, or even the slightest "hint" of that happening ??

It's SO GOD DAM* frustrating, because it's SO "GD" simple.

Let the majority(51%) of the TUL/AMT's, and the majority of the DFW/FSC's tell this A$$ HOLE Company, that unless they get "50%" of the concessions returned, that they WILL NOT go to work...aka...A STRIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This IS NOT..rocket sceince !!!!!!!!!!

EDITED for clarity and to include a question for attendance at a Union Meeting "on the clock." Boomer
Another non-event, event. Did you see Burchette actually in attendance and state that he actually spoke?

"...Today in Tulsa the company annouced the special meeting at the Umac over the loud speaker, I am assuming it was base wide but did not confirm that,... he reminded everyone to go to the Union meeting at the umac and if you worked that day to see your supervisor about getting off to go to the meeting, he said just bring your AA ID card nothing was mentioned about a Union card...have I ever heard the company volunteer to let you off to go to a Union meeting ...Rumour has it that the 4 of them will be asking everyone to join hands down on the floor so we can all sing combyah together... "

In the above quoted prior post, you repeated a rumor that AA Management would be in attendance: were any of them there, and how many TWU Members attended on the clockj?

No management was there and I don't know if anyone was on the clock or not Burchette was not there, Steve Louis ran the meeting by himself.
There were about 800 people in attendance including spouses.

New Hamshire 50% is a much more reasonable expectation than what some suggest will happen but I will be surprised if we get even that much back.

TWU Informer did you go to this meeting ?? :unsure:

No management was there and I don't know if anyone was on the clock or not Burchette was not there, Steve Louis ran the meeting by himself.
There were about 800 people in attendance including spouses.

New Hamshire 50% is a much more reasonable expectation than what some suggest will happen but I will be surprised if we get even that much back.

TWU Informer did you go to this meeting ?? :unsure:

Hell no.

I voted three times NOT build a new union hall, and it was built anyway.

I tried to run for Union Office, they wouldn't let me.

I have been called out of order enough times that I lost count.

The reason nobody goes to these meetings is because they voted out the incumbents, but somehow they remain. They voted against building a new union hall, it was built anyway.
The International successfully argued in Federal Court that they can modifiy or change the labor agreement without membership ratification. You can only waste a dues paying members time and effort for so long using anti-democratic tactics and pretty soon, you have weak company union that everyone hates but will not put forth effort to change. Apathy will take over and the problem will be compounded because there are no more watchdogs even bothering to watch the pathetic pieces of crap in action.

Now why would I waste my time going to a meeting that is nothing more than a farce attempting to cover up the anti-democratic truth about the TWU?

I had better things to do, like working to supplement the pay and benefit cut that the TWU handed out using a "without further ratification" signature of Jim Little.

I have no desire or need to ever attend another TWU so-called "union meeting".

HELL NO, I DIDNT GO!

That is the difference with Steve Luis. He is his own man. As you noticed, there was no International presence, or AA for that matter. If he was a sellout, then why didn't the TWU agree to the company's non-traditional offer?

As we've seen, we cannot depend on the Democratic Party in our struggle against oppression--since most Democratic leaders are members of the oppressor class. Whereas in earlier decades we could look to labor unions as allies in our struggle, union leaders have devolved into capitalist co-conspirators and labor brokers. Unions exist to negotiate the sale of their members’ labor power to employers, to keep working people in line, and limit the scale of working-class action against corporations. Unions divert the discontent of union members into harmless channels. They keep workers passive spectators in the events that most affect their lives.

since Republicans have been running everything for just about 15 years, where do you get off blaming the Democrats? Face it Bro, we are not suffering in the sense of people in the 1930's. If we were running 40% unemployment, with the banking system in a state of collapse, there would certainly be a higher sense of outrage than there is about guys watching satellite tv in the breakroom with about 2-3 hours of work in an 8 hour day.

Unfortunately you miss the point.This comes from your inability to reason since you came to the conclusion that I was espousing the virtues of the republicans. I was not. The unions consistantly hitch their wagons to the democrats and where does it get us. No where, just as it wouldnt get us anywhere if we hitched them to the republicans. You seem to forget that they get their money form the same sources. It doesent matter who is in charge, republicans or democrats. The people who really run things, will continues to make the decisions that effect our lives. Supporting the democrats is just another tool to keep you away from the whats really going on.

since Republicans have been running everything for just about 15 years, where do you get off blaming the Democrats? Face it Bro, we are not suffering in the sense of people in the 1930's. If we were running 40% unemployment, with the banking system in a state of collapse, there would certainly be a higher sense of outrage than there is about guys watching satellite tv in the breakroom with about 2-3 hours of work in an 8 hour day.

According to your reasoning: we should expect nothing from Pelosi and Reid and probably nothing from President Clinton.

I know they aren't helping us either, however the guys for the most part, unless it affects them personally, just don't seem to be want to be bothered. I didn't mean to be insulting, but sometimes people throw words like struggle and sacrifice around as if they have done all they could and as if anyone who does try is a fool or corrupt.

I know they aren't helping us either, however the guys for the most part, unless it affects them personally, just don't seem to be want to be bothered. I didn't mean to be insulting, but sometimes people throw words like struggle and sacrifice around as if they have done all they could and as if anyone who does try is a fool or corrupt.

Brother,
No offense taken, it's just that too many think that one party or the other will save our futures when history has shown that both parties are equal opportunity with resepct to a diminshed standard of living for workers and more votes, through preservation or increase of service, for them.

The old saying still holds true: "If you are in aviation and want a friend: get a dog."

Hell no.

I voted three times NOT build a new union hall, and it was built anyway.

I tried to run for Union Office, they wouldn't let me.

I have been called out of order enough times that I lost count.

The reason nobody goes to these meetings is because they voted out the incumbents, but somehow they remain. They voted against building a new union hall, it was built anyway.
The International successfully argued in Federal Court that they can modifiy or change the labor agreement without membership ratification. You can only waste a dues paying members time and effort for so long using anti-democratic tactics and pretty soon, you have weak company union that everyone hates but will not put forth effort to change. Apathy will take over and the problem will be compounded because there are no more watchdogs even bothering to watch the pathetic pieces of crap in action.

Now why would I waste my time going to a meeting that is nothing more than a farce attempting to cover up the anti-democratic truth about the TWU?

I had better things to do, like working to supplement the pay and benefit cut that the TWU handed out using a "without further ratification" signature of Jim Little.

I have no desire or need to ever attend another TWU so-called "union meeting".

HELL NO, I DIDNT GO!
THE TWU IS A MESS IN NYC TOO.LOCAL 100 IS IN DIRE STRAIGHTS.THE PRESIDENT ,ROGER TOUSSAINT HAS EMERGED AS A COMPLETE DICTATOR.WE SEEM TO HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEMS.ELECTIONS ARENT RECOGNIZED AT LOCAL 100 EITHER.UNION DEMOCRACY IS A THING OF THE PAST.TOUSSAINT AND LITTLE HAVE BECOME VERY CLOSE ALLIES.LITTLE IS RUMORED TO BE CONCERNED WITH HIS LACK OF SUPPORT IN THE ATD,SO HE FORMED AN ALLIANCE WITH THE BASTARD TOUSSAINT TO ATTEMPT TO SECURE HIMSELF DELEGATE SUPPORT AT THE CONVENTION.LITTLE HAS UNDERESTIMATED THE DEGREE TO WHICH THE RANK AND FILE HATE TOUSSAINT.HE ALLIED HIMSELF WITH THE WRONG GUY.IS BURCHETTE STILL INVOLVED IN THE DAY TO DAY AFFAIRS OF 514?