TWU negotiations.........what?

Even airlines that have outsourced most (or all) of their heavy C checks (typically referred to by those airlines as D checks) probably employ an unlicensed welder or two. After all, airplanes contain a lot of metal and I assume some of it is welded to other pieces of metal and those welded repairs aren't performed solely or exclusively during heavy C checks. There may be other times when welds are performed. Accordingly, there will probably be a place somewhere in the system for an unlicensed welder going forward regardless of AA's level of heavy check outsourcing.

I can remember when non of our welders at our line station had licenses.

Sure, you willing to reciprocate? I hear that Delta/NWA recently restffed a bunch of cities to improve their performance.

Not entirely true. DL is bringing some of the old NW stations back on line to match their line maintenance scheme. Remember that NW was only DTW and MSP with about 800 mechanics doing all aircraft maintenance. Ten fleet types and over 700 aircraft takes a lot of maintenance access. (bolded stations the big DL cities prior to merger).

ATL - also the base
BDL
BOS
CVG

DBL
DCA
DEN
DFW
EWR
FLL
HNL
JFK
LAS
LAX
LGA
MCO
ORD
PBI
PDX
PHL
PHX
SAN
SEA
SFO
SLC
TPA

Not entirely true. DL is bringing some of the old NW stations back on line to match their line maintenance scheme. Remember that NW was only DTW and MSP with about 800 mechanics doing all aircraft maintenance. Ten fleet types and over 700 aircraft takes a lot of maintenance access. (bolded stations the big DL cities prior to merger).

ATL - also the base
BDL
BOS
CVG

DBL
DCA
DEN
DFW
EWR
FLL
HNL
JFK
LAS
LAX
MCO
ORD
PBI
PDX
PHL
PHX
SAN
SEA
SFO
SLC
TPA

If you're talking about line stations, you'd have to include considerable manpower at MEM and SEA. I think there was a lot more than 800 at NWA during the merger-if I have what you're saying correct.-of course, I suppose it all was reduced by the strike, so...

If you're talking about line stations, you'd have to include considerable manpower at MEM and SEA. I think there was a lot more than 800 at NWA during the merger-if I have what you're saying correct.-of course, I suppose it all was reduced by the strike, so...
At the time of the merger, NW had about 1,000 mechanics and related compared to about 5,000 at Delta:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/stories/2009/02/26/delta_mechanics_union.html

And of the 1,000 at NW, hundreds were scabs.

A new twist in the realm. What could it be about? The NMB dragged negotiations on and on, now what is the NMB going to do in BK?

NMB to bring American Airlines, unions together for an update

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/01/nmb-to-bring-american-airlines.html

At the time of the merger, NW had about 1,000 mechanics and related compared to about 5,000 at Delta:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/stories/2009/02/26/delta_mechanics_union.html

Yep, you're right.
And I knew several at Boeing that would not go back to "DL" even though they could, for that very reason. (they basically figured they'd wind up getting fired because of there mouth and actions) :-/ ( ie hostility)

This controvery has been going on for years. I asked Bill O'Brien (he was a frequent contributor to AMT Magazine, FAA official and an advocate of the profesion) many years back if an A&P is needed on the line. He told me that for all intensive purposes it is, even though the FARs are not clear on this. Here's why, to operate under FAR 121 the carrier has to present their maintenance plan to the FAA and if they included a plan that did not have A&Ps doing the work they probably would not approve it. So it may sound good to say that they could have just one guy sitting in an office with his certs signing for all the work in reality such a plan would probably not be accepted by the FAA. I dont know of anyone who has done it this way in the US.

Well Bob I will tell you what happened at Republic Airlines before the merger with NWA. They were taking some pretty big hits on avionics ATA's because the average A@P at least with them were pretty weak avionics wise. So they decided to hire avionics types with just an FCC and applied for repairman certificates for them so they could work on the line and sign off their work. Now they could not work or should I say sign off anything that wasn't within the scope of the repairman cert but they did not need an A@P to sign the logbook the repairman certificate allowed them too. Now that repairman was only good for that airline it was not portable. Most who had it went and got their A@P as they saw their options were pretty limited without the A@P.

Reactions: 1 person
Well Bob I will tell you what happened at Republic Airlines before the merger with NWA. They were taking some pretty big hits on avionics ATA's because the average A@P at least with them were pretty weak avionics wise. So they decided to hire avionics types with just an FCC and applied for repairman certificates for them so they could work on the line and sign off their work. Now they could not work or should I say sign off anything that wasn't within the scope of the repairman cert but they did not need an A@P to sign the logbook the repairman certificate allowed them too. Now that repairman was only good for that airline it was not portable. Most who had it went and got their A@P as they saw their options were pretty limited without the A@P.

WOW, we must be doing a "mind meld"... :lol:
B) xUT

Uh correction at the time of the merger with DL they pretty much were ALL SCABS.. Some were original NW that crossed some were new hire scabs hired in 2005.

Since this is a TWU Negotiations thread, when will we know if the American Eagle mechanics are going to be "Dovetailed" in?

Don't believe there will be a dovetail. I do know this. AE has an agreement with AA that allows for the transfer of AE like positions to AA if and after AA has hired 4 newbies to the like positions. Basically if AA hires 4 mechanics then the next available position for an AA mechanic goes to the high senior at AE if they want to transfer to AA. They transfer with company seniority but start at day one with occupational at AA, so there is already an avenue for AE employee's to transfer to AA...