UA AND US Merger Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still continues to amaze me that the pilot group thinks that the airline world revolves around them, and them only. The last time that I took a look around, I noticed a few other employee groups at various positions around the airport too. This better go this way, or the pilots are going to be pissed, the company better be careful of what they do, or the pilots are going to be pissed AGAIN. Guess what fellas, both US and UA have done whatever they wanted in the past with no regard to who gets pissed at them. Your group isn't the only one that lost wages, benefits, pensions, and so on over the last 10 years. Take a look around, and you will notice a lot of other employees wearing a uniform that has the name of the same company that yours does, Maybe all of the airlines should give the pilots complete control of the company to insure they do what's best for them, and the heck with all of those other people out there trying to earn a living for a fraction of what they do. Sorry for the rant, but I'm so sick and tired of hearing how every friggen thing that goes down, has to have some type of a silver lining in it for the pilots. Years back the fate of my station was resting upon what the pilots did or didn't do in their talks with the company. I was so comforting knowing that our fate and careers were resting in their caring hands. What I wouldn't do to have the tables turned the other way some day. Get over yourself already guys. Looks to me like there are lots of pilots on the street looking for work, that would care less who merged with who as long as they had a job.
Dude, the east pilots of this company gave up over 9 billion dollars so they (and you) could keep their jobs.
Show just a little respect.

Reactions: 1 person
Once again, we know how this story ends. I dread thinking about what happens when the US/UA deal falls apart and CO/UA get together.

I dread any merger thinking about the THOUSANDS of job losses from ALL work groups from ALL airlines. Think about this, there is nothing positive in this for labor.

Denver,CO

http://www.airportbiz.com/online/printer.jsp?id=35689

Bethune and Kellner say Continental not expected to join to United and US Airways.

Here's what we are talking about; two struggling Star Alliance carriers merger (UA/US). Then they coordinate their schedules with a third Star Alliance carrier in mind (CO). A win-win-win .... for all three.

Dude, the east pilots of this company gave up over 9 billion dollars so they (and you) could keep their jobs.
LOL Thanks for proving his point. :)

We lowly folk forget that your sacrifice was wholly unprecedented and greater than any other.

One question... does USAPA maintain a food bank in their offices to feed it's members unable to afford to do so on their wages?

I thought not.

Reactions: 2 people
I dread any merger thinking about the THOUSANDS of job losses from ALL work groups from ALL airlines. Think about this, there is nothing positive in this for labor.

Denver,CO

Definitely food for thought ua76. When I posted that I was just assuming that we (US) would be screwed and UA/CO would live happily ever after. I suppose I should know better since I am living the AWA/US East/West... ummmmm... not sure what to call it!! :( ;) I wish you the best regardless of how this turns out.

And I suppose they were the only ones that gave? My paycheck for the last 9 years or so has become smaller, so I can assume that means that I gave too. Not to forget the lost vacation, holidays,sick time, pensions , and so on. May as well toss the thousands of outsourced station jobs in there for the heck of it too. But once again, it's all about what the pilots did....

Reactions: 4 people
When looking at the DC area in regards to a possible merger , you have to relook at IAD. It is more of an express hub than a mainline one. US has more mainline flights from DCA as UAL mainline has from IAD. The main difference is the size of the aircraft. UAL has only a dozen or so flights from DCA and just a few more from LGA. We could forget the whole LGA slot swap deal with DL , keep the LGA terminal and more all Star Alliance into it. Even after all of that neither US/UAL or DL would have much more concentration in DC or NYC than we already have. IAD is not a convenient facility in the DC area. DCA is the prize. It is the airport of choice for the metro area. Everyone knows if you want to go trans atlantic you go to one of 4 airports , either nonstop or connection to IAD , PHL , EWR or JFK. We could still sell some slots in LGA to DL to help balance to 2 metro areas but to do a wholesale reduction in DC would be ridiculous.

I believe the point he was making was that EVERYONE gave up some money so we all could keep our jobs. It's all relative. However much each work group relinquished has taken a toll on them and their families. Dollar for dollar the pilots gave up more because they make more. And I ain't mad at them for making more for obvious reasons. But if that $9 billion you mentioned would have been enough to keep the company afloat without requiring concessions from other work groups, than your "Dude, the east pilots of this company gave up over 9 billion dollars so they (and you) could keep their jobs" comment would have some validity. As it is, it sounds like a self-centered rant. How about showing some mutual respect for all of the work groups who have given.

And like ETOPS said, you all need to just kick back and relax. We don't know what's being discussed in the board room. Neither Parker or Tilton consulted with any employee, frequent flyer or message board pontificator about whether this deal should be resurrected or not, and I doubt if they'll consult any of those groups on how to move forward. Either way I'm keeping food in my belly and a roof over my head.

Dude,

What you "gave up" at the old US Air is what kept you alive, by a wing and a prayer, so that you could be resusitated by this merger. It means nothing going forward...just like what the west "gave up" during AWA's bk in 1991. That is what kept us alive back then, to look forward to a new day. Do you see westies on this board whining about what they "gave up" and what is "owed" to them? GMAFB.

Considering how close UA and CO have been linking up lately I find it hard to believe that CO had no idea of UA and US talking merger. I see CO as a very strong carrier that doesn't need to merge with anyone to hold their own.

What I don't want to see is the UA employees and US employees become nasty and bashing each other. Both airlines employees have issues with their respective employer but it's not the fault of employees at the other carrier. If this merger does go through we have no say. We can only hope that it creates a stronger competitor while keeping as many jobs as possible.

Considering how close UA and CO have been linking up lately I find it hard to believe that CO had no idea of UA and US talking merger. I see CO as a very strong carrier that doesn't need to merge with anyone to hold their own.

What I don't want to see is the UA employees and US employees become nasty and bashing each other. Both airlines employees have issues with their respective employer but it's not the fault of employees at the other carrier. If this merger does go through we have no say. We can only hope that it creates a stronger competitor while keeping as many jobs as possible.

Ditto!! Well said.

Yes but common knowledge will tell you, if UA/US merge (which is fine with me) CAL will be put in a very scary place. It would be considerably smaller than UA/US, AA, DAL... Not only would it be much smaller, and have less market share, but it would find itself competing against PHL for traffic in STAR, which was very similar to its SKYTEAM situation with DAL. Smisek, has already said how much better the STAR partnership is, due to the fact, there isnt overlap between UAL/CAL, but if UAL all of a sudden has southern and PHL presence it would be significantly different. Then, the scenario might become like this..... UAL/US are together, and CAL cant merge with AMR so there arent many options, which would not be good for them. No matter how fabulous and independent you want to be, sometimes, you have to do what you have to do to compete, and trust me, CAL knows that there is no other airline they can go to for Major west coast presence, Chicago, DC, Asia. If they think they can go it alone, GREAT, and good luck to them, I think the cards will play different however, you cant ignore the obvious.

With due respect to all... This is all about a merger of survivors... USAirways is the conglomeration of many airlines over the years. Merging with UAL is just another step in the survival of the fittest. If the merger goes through and the combined LCC/UAL airline will second only to DAL. This is huge. Global reach... Domestic ownership in many markets etc. We also have very similar A/C types etc... As an east F/A, loosing the USAirways name means nothing to me as long as I recieve a paycheck. We can bicker all we want about what we gave up, who gave more, and who thinks they are more deserving... It really dosn't matter in the big scheme of things...

We should all focus on the simple fact that survival of the fittest will once again take place... Many an airline have gone down a path... Some made it to the other side, others haven't... How we get to the other side will make or break the eventual path... As F/A's we would be safe with DOH and complete integration of COB's. With UAL and LCC having IAM for the Mechanics... that transition should also go smooth... The Customer Service employee's both have different unions, however scope language at both will protect each other... The only uncertanty lies with the pilots group... This could become real nasty for the LCC group....

However... Me,.... being the optomist.... willl continue walking down the path in hopes that I will get to the other side...

Just my opinion...

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.