Union Chief: US Air Is Only Delta Bidder

Facts? OK, lets just look at a few of the biggest creditors out of the 9 on the committee.

DALPA - This one speaks for itself. No union is going to vote itself out of a job.

Boeing - A standalone DL brings a future boat load of aircraft replacement orders. Almost all DL aircraft will be replaced in the next 5-10 years and DL is a strictly Boeing customer. A breakup would flood the market with used aircraft and eliminate a loyal customer.

PBGC - DL put a lot of effort into supporting legislation that would allow non-contract employees to keep their pensions. A breakup would likely send these retirements to the PBGC as would a merger with US.

Fidelity - Vote to put a valuable customer out of business?

Coke - Coke, DL, and Home Depot are the backbone of the Georgia economy. No chance of Coke voting for a breakup.

Pratt - DL is loyal customer. Why would any airline supplier want to see fewer airlines? Fewer companies means fewer aircraft and less parts.

You dream of a breakup probably because you fear the competition from a lean/mean DL. Sorry man, ain't gonna happen.

US Airways continues to serve Coke products, so Coke wouldn't be harmed by a DL/US merger.

I guess I missed part of your point - and I agree with that part - the employees don't matter to the money people. But big bankruptcies have always shown little/no concern for the employees - that's nothing new. I was merely pointing out that there are few simuliarities between the DL bk and what happened to PanAm.

In the PanAm case, the "breakup" was largely self inflicted by PanAm - selling off assets in what turned out to be a futile effort to survive with the competitive cards stacked against them. I've seen no signs of that at DL yet.

In big corporation bankruptcies, the judge's automatic presumption is that a reorganized company is better for creditors than auctioning off the pieces. That's why management almost always gets what they want from the judge instead of chapter 11 turning into chapter 7 immediately. Doesn't help the employees or the shareholders, may or may not be a good for the creditors, but that's the way it is...

Jim

Latest posts

Back