US Airways confident it will acquire Delta

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com

The $1.65 billion savings target is "quite conservative" and a merger may produce more savings, US Airways president Scott Kirby says

See Story

USA320Pilot comments: My biggest fear if I was a Delta employee with my company in bankruptcy, would be another Pan Am scenario where the company gets "carved up" through the process. With only two union's on the property, this could be "bad news" for employees. The US Airways offer protects the jobs of most employees (all front line employee jobs would be protected and some duplicate management jobs could be lost) and provides employees with the best contract of the 3 companies involved.

I understand company pride and the desire to remain independent because of an uncertain future, but the Delta employees could find them self trying to figure out what to do with a fragmentation if US Airways' offer is not accepted.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The $1.65 billion savings target is "quite conservative" and a merger may produce more savings, US Airways president Scott Kirby says

See Story

USA320Pilot comments: My biggest fear if I was a Delta employee with my company in bankruptcy, would be another Pan Am scenario where the company gets "carved up" through the process. With only two union's on the property, this could be "bad news" for employees. The US Airways offer protects the jobs of most employees (all front line employee jobs would be protected and some duplicate management jobs could be lost) and provides employees with the best contract of the 3 companies involved.

I understand company pride and the desire to remain independent because of an uncertain future, but the Delta employees could find them self trying to figure out what to do with a fragmentation if US Airways' offer is not accepted.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Submit or die! :rolleyes:

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Hey B.O.B

What I would fear if I were you is what DL becomes after dougie gets told no AGAIN. You have poked a sleeping giant and they are mad. I would not want to be US and be competitior of DL when this is done.

I see consolidation coming in the future, with US being about half the size it is today. I see a lot of US320 Pilots being best case sitting on the right side of the bird. Those on the left side will be flying Barbie Jets.

L4P, I would have thought BK would have woken the sleeping giant! Mama
Mama,

Nothing like the events of the past couple of weeks. It has been like night and day. It has reminded me of the DL of old when there where two great airlines. (the other being PI of course :D )

Pax have been different as well. Every flight I hear conversation between pax about the news. They are encouraging the employees.

And then there is the management. THEY will be after doogie big time.

Of course they have to exit being a stand alone to do that, and of that I'm not sure it is going to happen..... I am afraid there may be a "virgin" in the future.....

Regardless of the outcome, its nice to hear airline employees getting acknowledged by their customers. Maybe they just take the great service Delta offers for granted and now the prospect of that changing has made them more appreciative. I know how little regard for US you have had in the past but I will always have a softspot for you! I dont know if you remember but when I first found the board I misentered a post and you were most kind about wanting me to continue posting. Your kindness has never been forgotten. My best to you in all your future travels. (May it be Delta as it is now or possibly the "new" Delta of the future.) Mama

Mama

My distain is for the management of US, not the employees. I still consider the old timers to be among the best in the industry. With the exception of some who post here, you will seldom see me go after the employees. Even then with folks like 700UW, it mostly just to push his buttons.

In any given week I spend more time on planes and in an airport than I spend at home so you guys do become family. It has been great to see the resurgence of the "I love to fly and it shows" spirit among the employees.

I have to be in your part of the world the middle of January. I'm even flying on US. Drinks are on me if you can find the time.

I wish you the best and you have a soft spot in my heart as well.....

Submit or die! :rolleyes:

Yeah well take this!

8 Delta bondholders 'open-minded'

They haven't ruled out airline plan to go it alone

By Jeff St.Onge and Mary Schlangenstein
Bloomberg News

December 2, 2006

Eight of Delta Air Lines Inc.'s largest bondholders are keeping an "open mind" about the carrier's plan to exit bankruptcy without a merger partner, the group's attorney said.

The bondholders, who own an unspecified amount of Delta debt, are forming an independent panel to evaluate Delta's strategy and an $8.4 billion hostile takeover bid by US Airways Group Inc., attorney Alan Kornberg said in an interview Friday.

"Any transaction has to be evaluated against a stand-alone plan," said Kornberg, a partner with Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP in New York. The US Airways offer should be "taken seriously, understood and fully vetted."

The bondholders organized because Delta's unsecured creditors committee didn't adequately represent them, Kornberg said.

The official creditor panel met for a second day with Delta and US Airways executives, who are courting the committee because it will help set terms for Delta to leave Chapter 11.

Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. are among the bondholders in the informal group, which includes members holding "hundreds of millions of dollars in bonds," Kornberg said.

The group expects to arrange meetings with Delta and US Airways similar to those held with the creditors committee Thursday and Friday in New York, Kornberg said.

He said the bondholders will file a notice next week with the U.S. bankruptcy court overseeing Delta's case that they had organized and hired a lawyer.

Delta, which operates a hub at Salt Lake City International Airport, and US Airways, the seventh-biggest, both declined to comment.

US Airways went public on Nov. 15 with its offer of $4 billion in cash and 78.5 million US Airways shares in hopes of winning creditor support after Delta Chief Executive Officer Gerald Grinstein initially rejected the bid.

Delta creditors would get a 45 percent stake in the merged company, which would surpass AMR Corp.'s American Airlines as the world's biggest carrier, based on miles flown by paying passengers.

Based on trading in Delta's debt, "Delta's own organizational plan is a complete nonstarter," said Gary Hindes, a portfolio manager for New York-based Deltec Asset Management Corp., which specializes in distressed companies.

"The market is trading as if this deal with US Airways — or some other deal — is going to happen," said Hindes, whose holdings include Delta bonds. "A year from now, Delta is not going to be surviving on its own."

Delta's 7.9 percent notes maturing in 2009 were unchanged Friday at 60 cents on the dollar. They've gained 48 percent since US Airways made its bid public. The yield was 28 percent, according to Trace, the bond price reporting system of the NASD.

Delta, based in Atlanta, on Thursday said it would continue working on its plan to exit bankruptcy as an independent airline, producing greater value for its creditors.
Since filing for Chapter 11 in September 2005, Delta has been working to lower costs by $1.9 billion a year.

Mama

My distain is for the management of US, not the employees. I still consider the old timers to be among the best in the industry. With the exception of some who post here, you will seldom see me go after the employees. Even then with folks like 700UW, it mostly just to push his buttons.

In any given week I spend more time on planes and in an airport than I spend at home so you guys do become family. It has been great to see the resurgence of the "I love to fly and it shows" spirit among the employees.

I have to be in your part of the world the middle of January. I'm even flying on US. Drinks are on me if you can find the time.

I wish you the best and you have a soft spot in my heart as well.....
Your disdain is for mgmt, not employees? Sure, L4P, seems it..... :lol:

Quoting L4P, 11/19/06, from US board:

Typical of the sour employees of US that is one reason that I and other VFF left. Nice attititude. Just remember, what goes around, comes around.

You are apart of a train wreck. The laughing stock of the industry. Trailer thrash airlines. Considered by the FF community to be the worst in the industry. (worse than ASA and that is a true insult) Enjoy BKK 4 within the next year when this little ponzi scheme blows up......and it will blow up.

Thanks for all of your kind words..The insults you hurl are just part of your "soft spot", right? I could dig up more posts if you would like....

You are flying US again!!?? Ewwwwww!! Why would you stoop so low, as you are so completely disgusted by US' trailer trash service and laughing stock employees? Must be the cheap leisure fare.....

As I have stated I have a softspot for L4P. Maybe it will be a good trip and he will want to relive the "old" days more often! Do you think that we dont have any sour employees among us? Although, I come from the HP side I know how previous US management treated their employees and it trickled down the ranks. US is a new airline with new management that although they are still learning is eager to create a whole new airline.(Granted, the website is FUBAR, no debate here.) How about trying to win back our customers that left in disgust with the old regime? I know to create profits for all that profit sharing you will need to fill seats, how about with those that trvl frequently? One customer at a time we can build the best airline and I challenge you to help do it!

Your disdain is for mgmt, not employees? Sure, L4P, seems it..... :lol:

Quoting L4P, 11/19/06, from US board:

Typical of the sour employees of US that is one reason that I and other VFF left. Nice attititude. Just remember, what goes around, comes around.
You are apart of a train wreck. The laughing stock of the industry. Trailer thrash airlines. Considered by the FF community to be the worst in the industry. (worse than ASA and that is a true insult) Enjoy BKK 4 within the next year when this little ponzi scheme blows up......and it will blow up.

Thanks for all of your kind words..The insults you hurl are just part of your "soft spot", right? I could dig up more posts if you would like....

You are flying US again!!?? Ewwwwww!! Why would you stoop so low, as you are so completely disgusted by US' trailer trash service and laughing stock employees? Must be the cheap leisure fare.....
I'm sure you won't mind posting what lead up to this......

As I have stated I have a softspot for L4P. Maybe it will be a good trip and he will want to relive the "old" days more often! Do you think that we dont have any sour employees among us? Although, I come from the HP side I know how previous US management treated their employees and it trickled down the ranks. US is a new airline with new management that although they are still learning is eager to create a whole new airline.(Granted, the website is FUBAR, no debate here.) How about trying to win back our customers that left in disgust with the old regime? I know to create profits for all that profit sharing you will need to fill seats, how about with those that trvl frequently? One customer at a time we can build the best airline and I challenge you to help do it!
100% agree. I, as well as the majority of US employees, do my job well, and realize that it is all about the passenger. Doesn't change the fact that L4P wishes nothing but ill will and failure on US and its hard working employees. Just pointing out the fact that he talks from both sides of his mouth..... Happy to have him back on US, just not sure why he would do that to himself, what with the trailer trash type service and laughing stock employees...

I'm sure you won't mind posting what lead up to this......
What difference does that make? You call US employees trailer trash, laughing stocks of the industry, and you make sure to say that US is worst than another airline, which is a "true insult" in your book. What did slamming the employees and their livelihood have to do with that thread? Don't let emotion get in the way...... :blink:

Wrong-o, sir! Caught you flim flammin, and you don't like it! :lol:

It's my pleasure to have you onboard USAirways in the near future.

Don't worry, apologies are hard, and we accept yours....
No apologies from this end. Within the context those comments were made, they were harsh and intended to be so.