US Airways confident it will acquire Delta

Actually, ATA was a smokescreen for the impending USAir deal. HP was not outbid by Southwest...

Wasn't HP on to other things by the time the deal was inked between WN and ATA. I think the company was worried about Airtran more that anything moving into MDW.

Also, with WN's net worth and credit rating I doubt there isn't anything that if it were in the company's interest that Gary Kelly would let pass by.

I think the Shuttle for example is a premuim that may in part finance the merger if it were to happen.

If Gary Kelly is serious about it, I doubt there is anyone save American that could compete in a bidding war for any assests.

I agree with that. I also seem to recall reading something 6-12 months ago that basically said that Southwest was close to as large as it could expand without a significant increase in infrastructure capability for it's fleet and that Southwest had, so far, chosen not to increase that infrastructure because it would adversely affect it's unit costs.

The bottom line, as you pointed out, is that Southwest could pretty much do whatever it chooses to do. The question is whether Southwest thinks it is smart or not.

I think the Shuttle for example is a premuim that may in part finance the merger if it were to happen.

If Gary Kelly is serious about it, I doubt there is anyone save American that could compete in a bidding war for any assests.

First off, this merger won't happen. It'll be DL/NW if anything. Much less overlap, fewer job loses and a much stronger overall route structure.

In the unlikely event DL/US was allowed, the resulting carrier would be foolish to sell a shuttle intact. The MAT should be the shuttle facility and LGA gates and slots that have to be sold off should be spread to as many competitors as possible. There is nothing to say there has to be two shuttle operators. They would be short-sighted to take the money now and allow a strong competitor to take root.

First off, this merger won't happen. It'll be DL/NW if anything. Much less overlap, fewer job loses and a much stronger overall route structure.

In the unlikely event DL/US was allowed, the resulting carrier would be foolish to sell a shuttle intact. The MAT should be the shuttle facility and LGA gates and slots that have to be sold off should be spread to as many competitors as possible. There is nothing to say there has to be two shuttle operators. They would be short-sighted to take the money now and allow a strong competitor to take root.

Hear that whispering???

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Stor...amp;siteid=yhoo

In the unlikely event DL/US was allowed, the resulting carrier would be foolish to sell a shuttle intact. The MAT should be the shuttle facility and LGA gates and slots that have to be sold off should be spread to as many competitors as possible.

You must never fly the shuttle. The MAT is a huge mistake and many Delta passengers hate the bus ride to connect to the other terminal. Even some of your crews prefer to fly the US shuttle since it is next door to the regular terminal.

You must never fly the shuttle. The MAT is a huge mistake and many Delta passengers hate the bus ride to connect to the other terminal. Even some of your crews prefer to fly the US shuttle since it is next door to the regular terminal.

You kidding? Connections? Business travelers love the MAT as they are at the airplane within a couple of minutes without dodging tourists all the way, and into the cab or limo shortly after deplaning. DL shuttle is designed for business travel between NY, BOS, and DC, not connections.

Latest posts