Union vs Non Union My Response

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines' started by Vimes, May 26, 2009.

1. brokenwrench

brokenwrench Senior

Like the paycheck you slithered across a picket line to get! Was your intent to make more than you did as a "proffessional contractor."

What a joke for you to try and make that point!

And what is this supposed to mean?
    Is it because the Delta Techs are non-union? You feel some sort of bond with them?
    I have news for you, when the NW AMT's walked nobody at my Delta station would touch a NW A/C.
    Can you say the same? The Delta AMT's may be non-union but it is for reasons apart from yours!

As has been pointed out on this board before you would not be working for Delta, or any other major, if you had not slithered in the back door.

2. Vimes

Vimes Member

lineguy,

I agree with you EXCEPT for the part that I will figure it all out. I am simply fortunate that I have a friend who is a media strategist/consultant who has been privy to this entire situation for years simply due to our friendship. Seeing things from this persons point of view has really been an eye opener for me. I have been frustrated just like almost every other mechanic over the classification and the deterioration of the industry as a whole. For years I have wondered why things were not really being accomplished on many levels for the aviation industry and/or the aviation professionals. I am no more capable of seeing both sides of the issue than any other mechanic out there, I just happen to have this friend and this friend just happens to be a professional at shaping opinions; therefore I have learned a lot.

3. Dignity

Dignity Veteran

FWIW,

during "experience" training well into late last year, or as I like to call it..

.. group psychotherapy...

because that is how it appeared, or at least became evident to me.. very early on, JMO.

the former labor relations turned Inflight VP, after the former Inflight VP was shown the door to explore other avenues..after the conclusion of her role in the Flight Attendant replacement fiasco or for whatever reasons...to say 'buh bye'..

she publicly apologized to the entire group that day for her role in creating unnecessary mistrust and havoc at our airline.

it was an apology.

(in my opinion was necessary to make.. to all of us)

and I was very surprised to hear it too..

I sort of respected her for that, she did acknowledge that indeed..

they, the company.. did something very wrong...

some may not have been aware of this public apology (maybe they are?) because the only ones present were a mix of Flight Attendants, Res, Agents and CSA, some Managers, some DL people who were just absolutely wonderful..a Motivational speaker and of course her.

the food was also really good too....

4. Vimes

Vimes Member

Groundcontrol,

I did not know PTO, it is my understanding he is no longer here, I do know Czar. Although I suggest you not confuse honesty with pomposity.

5. Vimes

Vimes Member

lineguy,

I know some of the real oldtimers that crossed a couple going back to the 60's and early 70's. Their regret seems to be that AMFA ever happened they will vocally tell you they do not regret coming back.

6. Vimes

Vimes Member

UAL,

No actual truism. I do however agree Globalization of labor has been here it just starting to hit more openly. What I am trying to say in part is IT IS OUR CHOICE IF IT STAYS HERE.

Of course CEO's compensation has skyrocketed, that is called taking advantage of the situation. WE HAVE ALLOWED IT. People have joined divisive little cliques rather than looking at things a different way or even being willing to look at things a different way.

Divided=Conquered

7. Vimes

Vimes Member

Yes they blackmailed the industry, i.e. Job Bank, 100% medical/dental/vision while employed and retired, free cars, AND virtually free cars, months of paid time off and so much more, benefits that are so far out of the mainstream of America it almost too much to comprehend. Yes their blackmail was a huge part of pushing them into bankruptcy not completely but certainly a major factor. How many corners did the company cut in order to keep the cost of the vehicles down in order to absorb the UAW blackmail into the cost of the vehicles produced?

8. Vimes

Vimes Member

Southwind,

What is this "Fair Tax Now"? As for a global economy, we can have a global economy WITHOUT globalizing the American work force, at least we have one more window of opportunity to do so. The first opportunity was lost remember the garment industry?

As for Obama and is "posse" that is a group I can do without and I am a life long democrat. Did not vote for the fraud and will not ever vote for the fraud and it had/has zero to do with the color of his skin has everything to do with who he is and what his agenda is. I agree he is out to equalize income across the world as well as standards of living.

9. Vimes

Vimes Member

It is a sad state of affairs. When you say "Merika" are you referring to the North American Union that has been agreed to?

10. Vimes

Vimes Member

Actually I was offered a job by Delta right out of school. I chose a different path. I work at DTW I do not know many Delta mechs. The ones I have met have been very nice. I do not like unions because they stand for nothing but division and hypocrisy. I do not know what your reasoning is rather than sharing what your reasoning is you seem to be spending your words attacking me personally.

11. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

I'd say that the UAW didn't do enough for it's members:

*The UAW has barely challenged the media propaganda that workers make $72 per hour--a figure that includes health care costs.

*And the union hasn't challenged job cuts that have seen the number of UAW workers at GM fall from 265,000 in 1992 to just 73,000 in 2007--even though the number of vehicles produced each year actually increased from 4.4 million to 4.5 million.

The first point is a massive failure, IMO.

The second is proof that the "blackmailing" people like to accuse the UAW of is a canard that only exists in the minds of those with an anti-labor agenda.

Pot meet kettle. Kettle meet pot.

12. 777 fixer

777 fixer Veteran

You grew up in a UAW household and yet have the audacity to accuse unions of hypocrisy? Hate to break the news to you but you had better look in the mirror before you go off and call other hypocrites. That's because you got to enjoy all the benefits of growing up in UAW household. That's assuming of course what you say is true. I find it a bit odd that someone who grew up in UAW household would go around saying the UAW bankrupted GM.

You say you want better for airline employees and aircraft mechanics yet by crossing a picket line you made it that much harder.

13. 777 fixer

777 fixer Veteran

Wow, once again that takes a lot of audacity to say. Especially considering the fact that in your very first post on this thread you repeated the mantra "the UAW bankrupted GM". I wonder who put that idea into your head. This is not the first time I've heard it. I've heard it on the radio, repeated on TV, read on the web etc. So Vimes, are you sure your opinions are your own and not just put there by someone else?

14. 777 fixer

777 fixer Veteran

Do you know why you got a job at NWA? So they company could pay their mechanics less money. And now other airlines hold over the heads of their mechanics what happened at NWA like the sword of Damocles. Congratulations.

Here's another thing, the only reason you make what you do at NWA is because of unions.

P.S. You sound an awful lot like a previous poster on the US Aviation boards.

15. Dignity

Dignity Veteran

that is a very valid point..

to me, it would seem very difficult to state a worker bankrupted their company or the fact they were making a certain amount of money was the sole problem because I do not understand the full job description of an auto worker or what the job entails, what they are responsible for regarding so many different areas of technical aspects..

(I do not think people are necessary overpaid in this country taking into consideration, inflation does not always seem to be brought into picture..for the most part people want to make sure their families are taken care of, who can fault anyone for that?)

its just like how some think a Flight Attendant is 'overpaid' even with pay concession..

because all we do is serve food/drinks and put on a fancy looking uniform (which I happen to like very much...just had to throw that in there..)

there is so much to the profession and what we are responsible for from information to procedures that it seems we are just not paid enough..

(I do not think we are paid enough for how many aircraft we are/will be trained on)...JMHO.

the media or general opinion in this country doesn't always seem to fully grasp what a worker may actually do on their job.. but always seem to have a perception of how it is ...but in reality have no real idea.. sometimes the focus is just one aspect..because of how the media may portray a group...

sort of like..

they pay them how much just to serve peanuts...

(and then people believe that is all we do based on what they hear, see on tv, the movies....)

you know?