Update of Mesa's proposed HI service

Is it just me, or does Ornstein seem to contradict himself... by saying that he doesn't believe it can sustain itself, but then by saying that it's incredibly profitable, moreso than mainland routes? Did I read that right?

Either way, I agree with him (or at least the first thing he said). The market will have over capacity, and there just doesn't seem to be a need to do that in the interisland market, where prices are already reasonable for consumers. Too much of a good thing, IMHO...

From the article:

"We offer security and job opportunity," he said. "We have upgraded pilots to captain positions in less than three years. At most regional carriers it takes 10 years. So when you look at compensation, they're very well compensated compared to others in the industry. The question you have to ask yourself is, Do you want to be a high-paid first officer making $40 an hour or a moderately paid captain making twice that?"

More like hiring captains off of the street and paying them $35 per hour. Is it even possible to make $80 an hour at Mesa on a 50 seat RJ? And $80/hr is "moderate pay" for a regional? WTF is he smoking?

Hawaii Express feed for US, anyone.....

Jim

More like feed for United. They have a growing contract at UAL and a shrinking one at US.

Mesa actually loses their turboprop contract with HP in 2007 and the CRJ2/7/9 contracts are all expired by 2013.

Hopefully we'll be Mesa free in just seven more years.

Mesa is going to get their asses handed to them if they keep being blind to the cultural component in doing business in Hawaii. Not hiring locals, having a res center on the mainland, etc...

Forget about the part where they fly highly inefficient RJ's, they are piss off the locals from day one, the good old boy network that runs Hawaii, and the politicians that will protect HA and AQ.

I'm amazed at how big of a blunder this is going to be.

Back