UPDATE: Senate Approves Plan To Add Flights At Reagan National

it isn't the gov'ts business to pick and choose WHO or HOW that slot is to be used, so long as there is no safety issue involved or that the US' treaties (ie w/ Canada) are satisfied.
Can anybody tell me why the government is worry about large aircraft with lots of fuel flying in and out of DCA?

Can anybody tell me why the government is worry about large aircraft with lots of fuel flying in and out of DCA?

The largest DCA would see is probably a 757. I would think the runways are too short for a fully loaded/fueled widebody.

That shouldn't be a concern anyway. If it were, they would have closed DCA on 9/12/01.

Alaska already flies a fully fueled 737 to SEA and LAX. The other airlines flying to DFW, ORD, MCO, etc have more than enough fuel to cause damage if you're hinting at another 9/11 style attack.

The largest DCA would see is probably a 757. I would think the runways are too short for a fully loaded/fueled widebody.

That shouldn't be a concern anyway. If it were, they would have closed DCA on 9/12/01.

Alaska already flies a fully fueled 737 to SEA and LAX. The other airlines flying to DFW, ORD, MCO, etc have more than enough fuel to cause damage if you're hinting at another 9/11 style attack.

You are correct. I don't even think a 21 can go in and out of there bound for the West Coast. Kirby mentioned the 757 would likely be used for this in the most recent CLT pilot crew news,. Currently DCA is not a 757 base and half or more of the base is not qualified (as f/a)s on the 757.

PHL's 757 base is an international base, therefore any 757 domestic flying done pays intl pay rates for pilots and f/a's.

My guess is this flying will be done by CLT crews, unless things change or it's done with airbus equipment.

Agree.. and further, the FAA would have to dictate maximum fuel levels (ie no tankering) to ensure that "too much fuel" isn't carried in/out of DCA.

Again, the primary reason for the DCA and LGA perimeters have nothing to do with safety - but were imposed for economic reason - initially to protect "sister" airports and now should be rescinded on the basis of no meaningful safety reason to retain them since the federal government lost its ability to regulate airlines on the basis of economics years ago.

US would gain tremendously by the ability to operate longhaul flights from DCA - US employees should be fighting hard for US to have that right.

You are correct. I don't even think a 21 can go in and out of there bound for the West Coast. Kirby mentioned the 757 would likely be used for this in the most recent CLT pilot crew news,. Currently DCA is not a 757 base and half or more of the base is not qualified (as f/a)s on the 757.

PHL's 757 base is an international base, therefore any 757 domestic flying done pays intl pay rates for pilots and f/a's.

757's back on transcons? That would be THE upgrade for passengers if they use East equipment since they all have Envoy seating. Or would they put on West 757's with West crews?

During the summer season, East doesn't have many spare 757's and a transcon is too long to use the same airplane and still have it available for a TA flight if needed. I think the West is in about the same position but don't know for sure. For one transcon from DCA they could probably make it work but not for several.

Of course, the House still has to pass a bill, the differences have to be worked out in conference, then voted on by both houses and get the President's signature. So there's no telling what the final signed bill will have in it.

Jim

My guess is this flying will be done by CLT crews, unless things change or it's done with airbus equipment.

CLT 757/767 is an international base as well...however, have no fear, LCC crews are paided at such a low rate that should not make any difference. I'm guessing a DCA crewed 319.

757's back on transcons? That would be THE upgrade for passengers if they use East equipment since they all have Envoy seating. Or would they put on West 757's with West crews?

What ever it is - it will be CHEAPER or the CHEAPEST.

Passenger comfort is merely a variable that is to be minimized at the expense of passenger load thereby lowering CASM. It's elementary. Our statistics from the "HUTA" institute clearly show passengers have no real regard for their comfort , amenities, or being nickle and dimed to death as long as they get a good fare. That's what ALL the airlines do - Right?

Jeesh - Where have you been the last 20 years? (SIC)

A great clip from one of the founding architects on the subject:

My link

We fly DCA/PHX out of DCA with mostly PHX crews although sometimes PHL on the 757 and DCA crews on the 319. Years ago, USAIRWAYS got a bone thrown at them from the perimeter rule allowing the PHX runs. Alaska got the SEA runs. We could run 4 more flights a day to PHX or LAS and fill them. And the f/as are so against separating from the pilots...............if we did, we would be trained on the 57's and the 190's and get back our Shuttle flying back instead of PHL crews.....its all about the pilots..............no 57 base or 190 base in DCA for pilots. And it won't happen.

We fly DCA/PHX out of DCA with mostly PHX crews although sometimes PHL on the 757 and DCA crews on the 319. Years ago, USAIRWAYS got a bone thrown at them from the perimeter rule allowing the PHX runs. Alaska got the SEA runs. We could run 4 more flights a day to PHX or LAS and fill them. And the f/as are so against separating from the pilots...............if we did, we would be trained on the 57's and the 190's and get back our Shuttle flying back instead of PHL crews.....its all about the pilots..............no 57 base or 190 base in DCA for pilots. And it won't happen.
My money is on the entire shuttle operation being on the 190 before to long.

Our statistics from the "HUTA" institute clearly show passengers have no real regard for their comfort , amenities, or being nickle and dimed to death as long as they get a good fare.

This is very true for the leisure traveler (LCC's target market.) They choose the absolute lowest fare they can find, then moan incessantly about everything and swear out loud (I've heard it) that they "will never fly G****mn USAir again!"

I sneak a smirk, fully knowing that the next time they fly somewhere, they will again look for the absolute lowest fare, and if US Airways is a nickel cheaper than everybody else, they will be back. Tempe knows it.

Latest posts

Back