UPS Mechanics Contract Update Requested

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Can any mechanic UPSer give an update about where you guys are in your contract talks?  It's been a couple to three years since amendable date for you guys and was wondering how it was going with you guys.  Any update would be much appreciated and thank you in advance...

Started pt back in Sept. About to get off probation looking for a ft position.
Boy has this place been a real eye opener. They call ups "freight Nazis" for a reason! Unreal...

Have really heard nothing regarding negotiations updates, other than hear-say & $60/hr top.
I'll bet we give something for that figure. Healthcare costs, retirement or something.
Hey.....we've got the Reamsters.
You know the deal....;-)

787nightmare said:
Boy has this place been a real eye opener. They call ups "freight Nazis" for a reason! Unreal...

Have really heard nothing regarding negotiations updates, other than hear-say & $60/hr top.
I'll bet we give something for that figure. Healthcare costs, retirement or something.
You know the deal....;-)
I bet they want to force you guys into Teamcare. We're voting on a proposal and it has Teamcare in it. The company didn't want it. The negotiators didn't want it and this membership doesn't want it. Yet, there it is and we are being told it's staying there. Just like they did to your UPS counter parts. Get ready for it. GT

787nightmare said:

You know the deal....;-)
Good luck with your FT position, hope you get it soon.  I have heard about the Nazis before from package loaders and FT Mechanics, some who have been there over 20 years.  Hope you all get your contract soon.  teamsters will treat you guys good (however, I think your right about the teamcare) as they know that UPS is their bread and butter.  60 top out is not unreasonable what-so-ever especially with all the airlines making record profits and incomes.  The economy has surpassed the last round of raises we all received and we (SWA) mechanics are now going on a 3.5 years with no contract.  It's time to reward us for helping the company reward all the investors for the past 3 years plus, it's time to start taking care of the number one assets "THE EMPLOYEES"...

787nightmare said:

You know the deal....;-)
Are you guys still not hearing anything about your nego's?  Hope you guys get your 60 top out, but like you said, at what cost?  787nightmare; Have you guys heard any rumblings about the "Teamcare" that GT is saying is in their contract offer even though the co., and the nego comte did not want?  Just goes to show everyone who is running the table talks when represented by the teamsters, not the nego team or the membership, it's all controlled by the international, how sad indeed.  Any updates for the new year???

Anyone have any info on the Mechanics at UPS as far as a contract update?  Funny how the teamsters web sites are continuously updated about the updates for the mechanics at UAL but not one word about the UPS mechanics contract.  
787nightmare,  you have anything yet? BTW were you able to go Full time by now?  Any updates to be heard?  Good luck guys...

swamt said:
Anyone have any info on the Mechanics at UPS as far as a contract update?  Funny how the teamsters web sites are continuously updated about the updates for the mechanics at UAL but not one word about the UPS mechanics contract.  
787nightmare,  you have anything yet? BTW were you able to go Full time by now?  Any updates to be heard?  Good luck guys...
I've heard the Teamcare option mentioned. Your figure of $50/51 is correct-dep on shift, position held. And I've heard the new top out rate of $60/hr mentioned.
We're supposedly down to money and bene talks(of course).

We hear nothing. As per usual.
I had to make a call....as I was getting burned out fast working Boe by day, UPS in evenings.(and every Sat evening I might add)
Took a FT position in ONT Calif. (I know....)
Hopefully won't be long and I'll have something even more closer to home. Fig SDF next stop.

I will say.....having wk'd at both FX and UPS....
FX spends far more $ on their air ops division than ups does. Far more.
If I had a choice of the two, I'd take FX over ups.
BUT.....only if I knew I had a good mgr and could trust him.
Which is very difficult to do there.

The labor/mgt relationship at ups isn't good at all.
They aggressively utilize PT amts all over the system, whereas FX would staff twice the amts FT.
Worst new hire endoc I've been through in my 28 yr career and 6 carriers.
Wasn't 2 hrs into first day, started beating us over the head w the dos and donts.
All new hires were just looking at each other like wth??(even a new hire Sup, who I'm friends with)
All heil FREIGHT NAZIs! I personally think UPS resents us all in air ops because of the drain on cash flow. Their ground ops is there diamond. No expense spared.

Less than 10 yrs and I'm DONE!
Going home. TIRED OF CHASING THE $!.

787nightmare said:
I've heard the Teamcare option mentioned. Your figure of $50/51 is correct-dep on shift, position held. And I've heard the new top out rate of $60/hr mentioned.
We're supposedly down to money and bene talks(of course).

We hear nothing. As per usual.
I had to make a call....as I was getting burned out fast working Boe by day, UPS in evenings.(and every Sat evening I might add)
Took a FT position in ONT Calif. (I know....)
Hopefully won't be long and I'll have something even more closer to home. Fig SDF next stop.

I will say.....having wk'd at both FX and UPS....
FX spends far more $ on their air ops division than ups does. Far more.
If I had a choice of the two, I'd take FX over ups.
BUT.....only if I knew I had a good mgr and could trust him.
Which is very difficult to do there.

The labor/mgt relationship at ups isn't good at all.
They aggressively utilize PT amts all over the system, whereas FX would staff twice the amts FT.
Worst new hire endoc I've been through in my 28 yr career and 6 carriers.
Wasn't 2 hrs into first day, started beating us over the head w the dos and donts.
All new hires were just looking at each other like wth??(even a new hire Sup, who I'm friends with)
All heil FREIGHT NAZIs! I personally think UPS resents us all in air ops because of the drain on cash flow. Their ground ops is there diamond. No expense spared.

Less than 10 yrs and I'm DONE!
Going home. TIRED OF CHASING THE $!.
Well congrats!!!  Good luck with your adventure. As Kev has stated, man you have been around. Hoping you hit your goal of 10 years and maybe even less now that your with UPS as they get more than the other air employers for retirement bennies.  You might try to get on that 3 day, I think 13 hour shift if you are commuting. I hear some very good feed back about that schedule from some buddies I use to work with, but I also know that the higher (at least a while back) seniority seems to take those slots first.  
If you hear anything more about the contract please fill us in. ALL the airliners should be sharing on a regular basis what each group is nego in their contracts. Very nice to hear you guys are on the economics packages.  I will also add that it seems the teamsters do you guys very well at contract time, but I don't know how well they represent you guys in between contract nego's.  If SWA was smart they should have came to an agreement prior to UPS mechanics as we will have yet another threshold to compare to when they reach a T/A now that they are down to the economics and we are a long, long ways away. Carry on brother, hope your decision is well worth it. I wish you the best to reach your goals over the next 10 years and beyond...

The Teamsters are what they are.
Hearing the guy that got us our last economics deal is scorned by the Intl.
Politics.

I'm on days(for now)3/13 S,S,M with T,W,Th,F off. Long day, but I'm thinking the 4 days off will be great.
ONT seems to have some guys here.

Hearing ups usually comes with an agreement about the time the current one we're nego set to be amenable. Ups puts aside a chunk of cash for our retro to earn interest, so as to essentially not cost them Muc if anything to drag out nego. Very, VERY shrewd Co(read TIGHT WADS).
They are everything you've heard and more!
Never seen anything like this place.
Polar opposite of Boeing.

Kev3188 said:
Man, is there anywhere you haven't worked?
Kev, this ind hasn't been kind to me.
I should be in Tulsa making $50/hr w Fedex.

If you recall my story.....if not, I don't want to go into it again.
I have to keep that door......"welded shut"....isn't that what you UA guys said?
;-) (they ran him off.....but damage done to me)

Boeing screwed us all, courtesy IAM & state of WA full cooperation.
State even reneged on holding Boeing to the agreement on keeping jobs in WA!
It's over at Boeing. They're stuck at $42/hr forever w eroded healthcare and pensions gone Oct 2016. There WILL BE ANOTHER set back coming there. They are trying to compete with Airbus-and Boe can not compete with them on price. That 737NG has parts from every 3rd world country on it.

And those guys up there are finally seeing what we in the airline ind have been dealing with for YEARS.

Still getting nowhere with the Co....
UPS apparently wants it 1000 man amt pool to concede and accept concessions in healthcare, retirement medical and God knows what else in our retirement.The Reamsters just mailed out a strike vote(checking the appetite of the membership for a strike) last week or so.
Pilots got their bump/deal....even ONT mgt felt like since the pilots settled we'd get a deal before peak. Apparently not.
So.....

Still getting nowhere with the Co....
UPS apparently wants it 1000 man amt pool to concede and accept concessions in healthcare, retirement medical and God knows what else in our retirement.The Reamsters just mailed out a strike vote(checking the appetite of the membership for a strike) last week or so.
Pilots got their bump/deal....even ONT mgt felt like since the pilots settled we'd get a deal before peak. Apparently not.
So.....

787, We have heard that our union is also considering a strike vote to the membership as the co. seems to be no longer nego. in good faith and both sides seem to think we are at a stale mate. Will be interesting what comes out of nego's set for next week and in the first week of Dec. If the co. is still not willing to move the union has to look at other avenues for the next steps to be taken. Most of the membership feels that the mediators should do what they are suppose to do and urge the co. to move some as the union has been doing most if not all the moving so far, it is time for the co. to show movement otherwise it's time to move to the next step. Some are also surprised the co. has not offered their LBFO, they have strongly indicated that they are not throwing out their LBFO which indicates that there is room for the co. to move, but the question is when. C'mon mediators it's time to step up and get the co. to move as the union has.

Have you all heard anymore since the strike vote? How about any new dates for nego's? Good luck to you guys, hope you get something soon to look at.