Us Airways Aligns Policiies With Amw

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
Unaccompanied minors ages 5 to 14 will be accepted only on nonstop flights. Does this mean unaccompanied minors can no longer fly through a hub for a connection flight?

No more live animals as checked baggage or cargo. Does this mean only seeing-eye dogs are acceptable?

Interesting

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/050817/1151159.html?.v=1

I always thought the shipping of live animals was pretty much free money. I'm surprised they are cutting that out.

evprincess said:
I always thought the shipping of live animals was pretty much free money. I'm surprised they are cutting that out.
[post="288969"][/post]​

AWA planes are not configured for animals to be shipped in bins. The old management didn't want to ship animals as this was always fodder for a lawsuit if the animal(s) died or escaped. The claim from Bill Franke was that it was cruel to the animals (I agree) but it was mostly a lawsuit issue. I believe AWA also did not want attention from animal rights groups. Sometimes, lab monkeys are shipped as they once were on Continental and some airlines accept roosters and other live poultry as US mail.

This is currently on the front page of Yahoo.com as a Latest News story!

More great PR! :lol:

..."We have made these policy changes as part of our strategy to simplify the new airline's business while retaining service elements that are important to our customers...."

Retaining service elements that are important to our customers??????

Inflight oxygen....GONE
Unaccompanied minors traveling with connections...GONE
Transporting animals in cargo...Gone

What exactly have you retained that was mentioned in the article??? Do the customers NOT depend on this??

Let the stupidity begin!!

I think in time they may allow umnr for connecting flights as for checking dogs ..tell the passengers to get a dog sitter ..probably cheaper than the $200 roundtrip fee

I'm not so sure America West will allow unaccompanied minors on connecting flights; they had done so in the past until they got some extremely negative press coverage for losing a couple of kids (at least temporarily) en-route on connections.

Not allowing pets as baggage/cargo makes sense for AWA given the potential problems this can cause at PHX and LAS for several months of the year; you can't very well leave an animal on the ramp when it's 100+ degrees out.

sfb said:
I'm not so sure America West will allow unaccompanied minors on connecting flights; they had done so in the past until they got some extremely negative press coverage for losing a couple of kids (at least temporarily) en-route on connections.

Not allowing pets as baggage/cargo makes sense for AWA given the potential problems this can cause at PHX and LAS for several months of the year; you can't very well leave an animal on the ramp when it's 100+ degrees out.
[post="289016"][/post]​

Well I am sure you could allow them with the exception of the hot summer months..June thru Sept due to the hot weather. No, this won't be confusing. We only have certain flights during the summer and that doesn't confuse them. As for the UMs, as long as the flight attendants do their jobs that shouldn't happen. They are briefed and told to stay put until a f/a comes for them. They are also in company custody until their next flight.

Twicebaked said:
Well I am sure you could allow them with the exception of the hot summer months..June thru Sept due to the hot weather. No, this won't be confusing. We only have certain flights during the summer and that doesn't confuse them. As for the UMs, as long as the flight attendants do their jobs that shouldn't happen. They are briefed and told to stay put until a f/a comes for them. They are also in company custody until their next flight.
[post="289018"][/post]​

Everything will work out wonderfully with these decisions. You will see. These are crummy niche markets and cause nothing but heartache for all involved.

Doing away w/conx UMs was a good thing.
Its really hard to keep track of ten kids and their parents at a time, and try to get the conx to their proper flight, or the PAC counter.
The volume of conx UMs was TREMENDOUS at times.
Then there was UM conx on nite flites (cheaper fares) that misconnect in LAS and you have to keep them overnight.
And they delay the flgihts if they show up late in the boarding process.

Usairways did not have a problem with connx um
and usairways have a policy not to have um on last flight of the day

Back