Us Airways Aligns Policiies With Amw

When I took the amtrak train two weeks ago from PHL to PIT because I couldn't get a seat standby it was a real treat to compare the different modes of transportation. soda on amtrak- $1.25, bag of chips $1.00 "no pretzels". No pillows, no blankets. No UM program. The conductors don't watch children. The price of my ticket for my 7 hour trip an even $40.00. The starting fare on US and WN. $29.00.... Also if you have a child in the business car they tell you that if the child makes noise you WILL have to relocate to a different car. They tell you that it is a "quiet car". I say get rid of all the perks. No more money from my check. The planes don't fly on helium.

Twicebaked said:
Well I am sure you could allow them with the exception of the hot summer months..June thru Sept due to the hot weather. No, this won't be confusing. We only have certain flights during the summer and that doesn't confuse them. As for the UMs, as long as the flight attendants do their jobs that shouldn't happen. They are briefed and told to stay put until a f/a comes for them. They are also in company custody until their next flight.
[post="289018"][/post]​
If we did that, pets would be April through October, its just to hot in PHX!! And it wasn't the FA's not doing their jobs!! The Um's were lost because some one in management thought it would be a good idea to have 15 year-olds (which were mostly upper management children, to give them summer jobs) take them around the airport!! I'm sorry I'm a parent and I think its down right stupid to let anyone under thr age of ten to travel by themselves!! There are just to many crazy people out there!!

I would also like to add we (HP) had the rule NO UM on the last flight out, but as you can see that worked real well, I had them on night flights all the time and they would end up at the hotel with us, or waiting for them to be picked up by Mommy or Daddy or Uncle Joe!!

I'd like to add to all this, the fact that if the new U has mgmnt that isn't as greedy as the last several U has endured, there's a great possibilty of huge success. No one can question the magnitude of the new network, fleet synergies, and with labor costs at present levels, the new U can really squeeze WN. Will it be a slugfest domestically? absolutely...but U will have the added advantage of Int'l reach that WN doesn't. And WN's hedge advantage will start going away soon. That fact coupled with industry leading 73 payrates WILL start to affect their bottom line. Their frugal management, and unquestionable efficiencies on turns and ground ops is what has held them up so far. Their long-term growth plans are 10% per year, forever(according to a friend there) this will not be sustainable for them in the near future. They will reach critical mass with the 73, and will need to add a fleet type, or try international...either one is unchartered waters for them. I'm certain that behind closed doors, they are concerned about the new U, as they almost killed it, but now it's back...and bigger. Just my opinion.

PineyBob said:
I happen to think thse changes are a positive. A way to drive excess costs from the business while having a minimum impact on the majority of customers. Also less exposure to Lawsuits possibly lowering liability insurance costs.

Way back in the beginning I stated that the way to save money was to look for hidden costs in the business process. Finally now that HP shows up we see those little changes with potential huge impact.

So I wonder what this change does to CASM? Lower it by a tenth of a cent?

deleted

Assume it is a tenth of a cent, find 9 more areas to change with minimal impact and pretty soon you can have a Lower Cost, mostly full service carrier that can compete effectively with the SWA's of the world.
[post="289189"][/post]​

"Mostly full service"? If you cut out every element of full service (such as the F cabin, which I'm sure you wouldn't like to lose), you will end up with a no-frills version of Southwest. Yuck. Maybe the Tower Air name is available; it would fit better than re-branding (again) USAir/US Airways.

JS said:
0.1 cents? That is way, way too high. 0.1 would be 10 or 15 percent of operating costs. Reality is probably in the range of 1/100th of that.

[post="292501"][/post]​

Huh? Assuming CASM is 10 cents (or something in that ballpark), 0.1 cents is 1%, not 10 or 15 percent.

mbmbbost said:
Huh? Assuming CASM is 10 cents (or something in that ballpark), 0.1 cents is 1%, not 10 or 15 percent.
[post="292516"][/post]​

Oops! Duly noted. :)

Ok speaking of "Other" things to cut, when are they gonna get rid of the damn pillows and blankets? The other day on my flight from CLT to MCO we were cleaning and the C flight attendant ran to the back bathroom gagging. It turns out that a passenger had used the blanket as a tissue. She got sick and was in the bathroom for the whole boarding process. Now that we have to clean I say they go. I was also jumpseating from LAS to PHL on the red-eye and this guy had a pillow on the floor with his sandles off using the pillow as a cushion for his feet. I won't EVEN begin to tell you how nasty those toes were. Now anybody knows as much as I do that that damn pillow went right up into the overhead or wedged between seat backs for the next flight. Getting rid of them will also speed up the time it takes to clean the dirtplanes.

As part of our Buy On Board service today we will be offering a hermetically sealed pillow and blanket for $5.00. You may take them home with you for use on other flights or donate them to your local shelter upon exiting the plane.

They can be pretty disgusting as the day progresses. The only ones I will use are the ones in Envoy that come wrapped.

It would also alleviate some of the "extra" chores that the overnight person has to take care of so they could concentrate more on the actual cleaning of the plane and not the accessories.

Exactly. I just don't understand why they would keep the pillows and blankets this long. You can have a crusty blanket or nasty pillow but you have to drink your wine or scotch on the rocks out of a plastic cup. I say get rid of the seatback pocket and that "award winning" magazine all together or make the seatbacks mesh so you can see into them.

Pro72: make the seatbacks mesh so you can see into them.

Good Idea..I thought the guy that keept putting his sandals THEN bare feet on the bulkhead carpet on the Star Alliance craft Monday was awfull - you have obviously seen soooo much worse. :shock:

Back