US Airways ALPA MEC Resolution

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
BOS Pilots,

We have spent the rest of today on a Resolution, Subject: Equivalent Contract Negotiations (Jones/Spartano), which passed unanimously.

This Resolution defines the direction that this AAA pilot group will be going in our future negotiations, and I believe it to be the right one.

The Resolution is copied below.

Our meeting just adjourned.

Garland

----------------------

SUBJECT:

AI 07-83 Equivalent Contract Negotiations

SOURCE:

Garland Jones (BOS)/Rocco Spartano (PIT)

RESOLUTION:

WHEREAS Part 1, Section N., paragraph 1. of ALPA Merger Policy (Merging of Employment Agreements) provides, “In no event, except by mutual agreement of all parties, will the company be given the right to use the merged seniority list prior to the successful conclusion of the merged working agreementâ€￾ (Negotiated Single Agreement), and

WHEREAS Section IV. of the Letter of Agreement dated September 23, 2005 between the Association, America West Holding Corporation, America West Airlines, Inc., US Airways Group, Inc., and US Airways, Inc. (the “Transition Agreementâ€￾), as approved by the America West and US Airways MECs, provides that management may not use an integrated pilot seniority list prior to separate membership ratification votes by the US Airways and America West pilot membership of a Negotiated Single Agreement, and

WHEREAS hundreds of US Airways pilots appeared in person at the Executive Council meeting May 21st, 2007 and thousands of US Airways pilots have reached out to their elected union officials, at the local and national level, to express their outrage at the unmerited windfalls provided to America West pilots, at the expense of the US Airways pilots, by the Nicolau Award, in clear violation of the provisions of ALPA Merger Policy, and

WHEREAS a majority of the US Airways pilots have contacted their elected representatives and have made it abundantly clear that no Negotiated Single Agreement that allows these windfalls to take effect will ever be ratified by the US Airways pilots, and

WHEREAS the Executive Council on July 19th, 2007 decided that our union’s resources should be devoted to bringing about practical results through agreements that may include umbrella agreements or multiple agreements, and

WHEREAS the US Airways MEC has been and continues to be willing to abide by the Executive Council resolutions of May 21st and July 19th, 2007 and engage in seeking practical solutions to the issues facing the US Airways and America West pilots, and

WHEREAS the Executive Council has established a committee called the “Rice Committeeâ€￾ chaired by First Vice President Paul Rice and including Executive Board member David Webb and Executive council member Ray Miller to work both with the US Airways MEC/JNC and the America West MEC/JNC to assist in finding practical solutions that promote mutual career protections and mutual success, with improved pay, benefits, work rules and job security for both US Airways and America West pilots, and

WHEREAS the US Airways MEC has discussed the Collective Bargaining Agreement options brought forward by the Rice Committee for consideration by the MECs,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the US Airways MEC endorses the concept of equivalent contracts (separate contracts of comparable value for US Airways and America West pilots), with separate operations, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that such separate operations are to be permanent in nature and include preemptive contract language to assure their continued application during any future merger involving both the US Airways and America West pilots, and

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that the US Airways MEC authorizes the US Airways members of the NC to pursue an equivalent contract utilizing all necessary ALPA resources, including the assistance of the Rice Committee.

Moved: Jones

Second: Spartano

17:57 Open session

17:58 R U ready to vote.

Motion Passes Unanimously on a voice vote.

Wow, a resolution. That should do it then.

Yup, game, set and match. If only we had thought to pass a resolution.

If only we would have merged with ATA in Dec 2004. (Wonder how happy the suits at CAL and SWA are that they c@ckbl@cked that one). That way we could have done our thing while the folks at AAA undoubtedly would have been able to pull out of their self-induced death-spiral, thereby capturing all of their "attrition" and "captain-years"

Could you guys please bring on the decertification vote and get this thing going, already?

CaptainZitface,

An ALPA decertification vote and union replacement may no longer be required.

Now that the EC, Rice Committee, US Airways MEC/NC, and the Company agree in concept that equivalent contracts (separate contracts of comparable value for US Airways and America West pilots), with separate operations, and that such separate operations are to be permanent in nature and include preemptive contract language to assure their continued application during any future merger involving both the US Airways and America West pilots...the East pilots no longer care what the AWA MEC and West pilots think. Why? They had their chance and snubbed their noses at the EC.

The AWA MEC has refused to participate in either EC resolution and as ALPA Paul Rice told the US Airways MEC yesterday in "open session" the intent of the EC Resolution and the Rice Committee is to now move the process of "finding solutions" to this issue forward. And if any party is unwilling to engage in this process, then we'll move forward in negotiations "without them."

CaptainZitface, the AWA pilots have a choice. Either participate in the process or be left behind because unless there is a "realistic solution" to the problems facing the East and West pilots the ALPA EC, US Airways MEC, and the Company are prepared to cut a deal with separate contracts and permanent separate operations.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. Another day free of 700UW! :up: :up: :up: :up:

ALPA decertification vote and union replacement may no longer be required.

Oh darn! There goes my weekday entertainment!

Now that the EC, Rice Committee, US Airways MEC/NC, and the Company agree in concept

Really? Doogie is getting his weekly massage right now so he's not answering my call. Where did it say that the company agrees to the concept? Or is that what Prater was told when Doug called him at home?

I thought the Rice committee came up with multiple possible solutions, one of which was a joint contract, as favored by the AWA MEC? Is this a version of Jeopardy, where you have to put your proposed solution in the form of a resolution?

You're a mouthpiece for the PHL reps. For some reason they think they're the ALPA version of Rocky Balboa while the truth of the matter is that they're more like the Phillies: 10,000 losses and counting as well as completely irrelevant two weeks into the season.

the East pilots no longer care what the AWA MEC and West pilots think.

The East pilots never cared about anything or anybody except themselves. Better hope the UAL merger is just a rumor. The UAL pilots would be pretty happy with a Nicolau style seniority solution, and they carry more votes than you do.

Considering your track record in predictions recently, I hope you don't mind if I consult somebody a little more qualified, like say....Ms. Cleo.

Now that the EC, Rice Committee, US Airways MEC/NC, and the Company agree in concept that equivalent contracts (separate contracts of comparable value for US Airways and America West pilots), with separate operations, and that such separate operations
Once again, the company has not agreed to anything and is not talking to the east.

USA320 is nuts.

And why is Skinner telling our ground schools that 340's will more than likely come to PHX?

Hmm?

CaptainZitface,

Everything I have written in the topic is public information obtained from the MEC and I understand it all was discussed in "open session".

What I cannot understand is why the AWA pilots seem to want to deny the US Airways pilots contract improvements.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

CaptainZitface,

Everything I have written in the topic is public information obtained from the MEC and I understand it all was discussed in "open session".

What I cannot understand is why the AWA pilots seem to want to deny the US Airways pilots contract improvements.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Is that what you think????? I can't understand is how the terms final and binding keep escaping you!! You never had the vote to get the decert anyway and even if you did and that's a mighty big even you would have lost anyway as alpa had custody of the list and without ALPA protecting you in that right you lose. The order is already typed up and ready for filing in the event of a decert! We were waiting, heck COUNTING on your decerting ALPA as it would make our jobs even easier.

I want the east out of that sorry LOA 93 and in a good contract. You deserve better pay and benefits but you don't deserve to walk all over the west pilot group to obtain it!!!

We will work with you and have supported many of your efforts in the past but we will not redo, undo or otherwise tinker with that award. The steaks are too high for the future to do that.

BTW there are twice as many people on the east that wish to bid west than there are that wish to bid east. I know of only 10 people that would like to bid east coast but I will grant you 10 times that number. I bet that there are over 200 easties that want the west bid option...

Is that what you think????? I can't understand is how the terms final and binding keep escaping you!! You never had the vote to get the decert anyway and if you did you would have lost anyway as the alpa had custody of the list and without ALPA protecting you in that right you lose. The order is already typed up and ready for filing in they event of a decert! We were waiting, heck COUNTING on your decerting ALPA as it would make our jobs even easier.

I want the east out of that sorry LOA 93 and in a good contract. You deserve better pay and benefits but you don't deserve to walk all over the west pilot group to obtain it!!!

We will work with you and have supported many of your efforts in the past but we will not redo, undo or otherwise tinker with that award. The steaks are too high for the future to do that.

BTW there are twice as many people on the east that wish to bid west than there are that wish to bid east. I know of only 10 people that would like to bid east coast but I will grant you 10 times that number. I bet that there are over 200 easties that want the west bid option...

Check with captZ that should read the stakes are too high or is that a Freudian slip.

CaptainZitface,

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Everyone gets improvements or none of us do. Which part of "joint" do you not understand?

I understand it all was discussed in "open session".

Cool! In that case you won't have any problem telling me which company representative was present.

You stated that the EC, the AAA MEC/MC AND the company were ready to move on. So, obviously, somebody from the company was at this "open session" and made some commitments to the AAA MEC giving them the impression that this was a viable course of action. Who was it?

Junebug,

I am just quoting the resolution. As I indicated I think a joint contract could be negotiated if the West pilots agree to separate operations. If not then as the MEC indicated today,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the US Airways MEC endorses the concept of equivalent contracts (separate contracts of comparable value for US Airways and America West pilots), with separate operations, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that such separate operations are to be permanent in nature and include preemptive contract language to assure their continued application during any future merger involving both the US Airways and America West pilots, and

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that the US Airways MEC authorizes the US Airways members of the NC to pursue an equivalent contract utilizing all necessary ALPA resources, including the assistance of the Rice Committee.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. It is my understanding that if the AWA MEC does not want to participate in the EC Resolutions all of the parties are prepared to move forward and as Paul Rice indicated yesterday if any party is unwilling to engage in this process, then we'll move forward in negotiations "without them."

Those are Rice's words not mine.

P.S.S. Another day without 700UW! :up: :up: :up: :up:

...Paul Rice indicated yesterday if any party is unwilling to engage in this process, then we'll move forward in negotiations "without them."

Those are Rice's words not mine.

P.S.S. Another day without 700UW! :up: :up: :up: :up:
He was referring to the east!

How does your resolution get around the Transition Agreement you guys ratified?

Remember this part:

V. Negotiation of a Collective Bargaining Agreement

The Association and the Airline Parties will negotiate a single collective bargaining agreement applicable to the merged operations of America West and US Airways (the

“Single Agreementâ€￾) as follows: etc... etc....

Its just more of the same from your leaders. To quote the Bard: "It is a tale told by and idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

Latest posts