Us Airways F/a Reductions

exusairways

Jan 7, 2003
:huh: :huh: :huh: :( :( :( :angry: :angry: :angry:

It is now well known that the new reserve system to be implemented in November 2003 will create an excess of flight attendents systemwide, and that F/A headcount would be reduced by approximately 200. Now I am hearing that the number will be much larger than anticipated....600.

Pitbull, please, please, please, is there any truth to this? This info came from within scheduling.

From what I understand....Approx. 200-500 f/a reductions from the new RSV system. In addition, approx. 600-800 f/a reductions from the return of those coming off a VF program (this DEC). This new combined round of cuts will end up staffing MDA. In senority order of course... :rolleyes:

"Crack is cheap. I make too much for me to ever smoke crack. Let's get that straight, OK? I don't do crack. I don't do that. Crack is whack."
- Whitney Houston

There will definitely be a reduction when the new reserve system is implemented. That is why the AFA PIT President dragged her feet on any acceptance of any part of that "slave" proposal.

There will be approx 200-250 reduction coupled with the returnees in December. The extentions on the VF has been extended and will close on Sept. 11. Still have more time. Last I checked before the weekend over 600 extended out of 1325. I am sure the number of extensions will increase these next couple weeks at least a couple hundred more. Most of our VFs do not want this job anymore. It is unrecognizable with this new management still on the property.

No one wants to be desrespected and demoralized by their management to feel that they have no value in the work place. Many will not return.

PITBULL....

Do we know when MDA informational packets are scheduled to go out to F/a's?

How is the company going to handle training for MDA? How can they start to train for MDA in NOV. when approx. 900-1000 senior fa/s will be let go in DEC.?

Any information you can share would be helpful.

Thank you

ACrazy8 said:
PITBULL....

Do we know when MDA informational packets are scheduled to go out to F/a's?

How is the company going to handle training for MDA? How can they start to train for MDA in NOV. when approx. 900-1000 senior fa/s will be let go in DEC.?

Any information you can share would be helpful.

Thank you
This is what I know/understand....

-Training will be 10 days at NO PAY!!

-For every aircraft they will need 24 f/a's (staffed 2 per flight)

-Training will start in NOV...calling the most senior person on furlough at THAT
time. MDA will not be waiting for Dec furloughs to get that ax.

-I would assume that at the point when the DEC furloughs are free of mainline they will be called to MDA and "slide" into spots according to seniority.

-ONLY f/a's on INVOL furlough may come to MDA. NO VOL or bidding to be back in PIT.

-Also, it is a "one shot" deal! When you are offered a spot on MDA you must take it at that point if you want it. You will not be offered/allowed to come over at another time.

Go to "the hub" and there is a link to Q&A about MDA.

Keep in mind that the company says they will contest your unemployment if you turn down a position at MDA. HOWEVER, unemployment laws state the you DO NOT have to accept a position of the same job at SUB-STANDARD wages!!!!!! This will be about a 55% or more for most f/a's. Therefore you should get the unemployment. Your choice to take that chance. Pit Pres knows ALOT about unemployment laws.

Hope this helps

U.S. Airways to make more layoffs
9/1/2003 3:12 PM
By: news14.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- More layoffs have been announced at troubled U.S. Airways this Labor Day.

The Flight Attendants Union said the airline has plans to terminate 190 more positions. The company has already laid off 890 flight attendants in May and June as a result of the war in Iraq and other cost-cutting moves.

U.S. Airways is the seventh-largest airline in the nation, and Charlotte is the airline's second-largest hub. :eek: :angry: :( :down:

Thank you Twice...

What is the delivery schedule for the EMB 170? I know we end up with 85 a/c. And that equates to over 2000 f/a's. It will be nice when everyone who wants to fly again will get the chance to do so. I worked for Express for a couple of years. At least at MDA it will only be temporary and mainline is waiting for us at the end of the tunnel. At Express......you stay at Express. Period. <_<(or leave) :ph34r:

On 9-10-01 didnt we have about 11,000 F/As? I dont think there will ever be a way to get them all back (unless maybe all our flying were in-house, using MDA instead of contact carriers?)

Wouldnt it be better for the company to have a one-time expense of paying out a good seperation or early retirement deal for 3000 F/As? We're a very senior airline and there are many who dont want to be there anymore. Then they could bring back the $20 an hour, 90 hour a month F/As.
If they furlough again, they are effectively eliminating all of the lower paid B-scale FAs. So now ALL of your inflight workforce is on A-scale despite the fact that you have a few thousand B-scale FAs on the seniority list. But they are all going to MidAtlantic, right? Not all of them, only the most senior and willing 2000. Well that $14 pay scale only applies to the verymost junior folks who will probably never see an MDA offer. How does any of this save the company money? Furloughing just makes your average FA pay higher while $22,000 a year employees hit the street. I dont get the business sense here. But I guess thats why I'm home on my computer I can barely make my monthly payment on and not in CCY.

Light,

Management is on a "discipline spree". They are disciplining folks across the system up to termination very quickly. Again, the unions will grieve until the unions merge or go bankrupt.

UNION BUSTING AT ITS FINEST...THAT IS WHY IT IS A BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS! Just ask Jerry G... THE MAN!

Golden,

The Avatar is "Athena", goddess of wisdom and daughter of Zeus. She was a powerful defender in war.. as well as a potent defender of peace.

Bob-
We're takling about MidAtlantic- 12-15K a year. Thats what all the other Express carriers make. That is substandard. If you dont believe us ask around on your next Shuttle America or Trans States flight.
As for unemployment, you do not have to accept a job in your same field at a lower wage. The next round of furloughees will see thier yearly pay cut in nearly HALF in they accept MDA employment.

Coach,

Welcome on the boards.

"Discipline spree", meaning they discipline for any kind of percieived infraction. For example just in our group (flight attendants)...they have stepped up the discipline process much faster to place folks on the "dependability program"...you know three strikes your out. But the type of incitements are of a benign nature, but the lower management looks at some of these infractions as horrific now and begin their punitive dicsiplines right out the friggen door and with greater speed than in the past.

I'm sad to see the company taking such a stance. There seems to be little communication going out to the flight attendants. It's a guessing numbers game. If it's an ugly picture, (layoffs and such), go ahead and paint it! There are people who have families and responsibilities outside work. A simple "this is the plan" would be great! We seem to be guessing at what's going to take place this fall with regard to furloughs and MDA. I understand VF extensions and VSIP are still open. But, at least tell me for example....DEC 1st-X amount of F/a's will be let go..starting with seniorty XXXX. Just give us a timeline! I would love more than 30 days' notice to decide what's best for me and my family...(both financial and emotional). Blah Blah Blah. I'm tired of venting....peace out! :groovy: