US Airways Has AA Labor Backing for AMR Takeover: Sources

Sir, your bitterness will be overlooked by the 3800 flight attendants whose jobs will be saved by this proposal......and also by those long term flight attendants who finally have a decent early out proposal and won't lose their retiree medical benefits!

Those retirement benefits will go bye-bye in the next bankruptcy. That's how it's done. Stick around and you'll see.

The no furlough clause? Worthless, as we at US found out.

We NYers think of NJ people as yokels. I think "Jersey Hick" is the term. Now I know where it comes from.

anyone who thinks that US can build a business plan that includes preserving over 2000 jobs that were otherwise going to be cut and then offer pay and benefit raises right out of the box is incredibly naive.
US average employee salaries are the lowest among network carriers.. that information is fully available from DOT and SEC data.
Of course no one wants to think they are the lowest paid... but the facts ON AVERAGE speak for themselves.

The jobs are not necessarily being saved...they are accepting our early out proposal. There is still no pension. There is still a loss of incentive rates.....$7 an hour for each hour over 70. The are many others but I'm thru wasting my Gogo time on your holiness. This deal has a lot of cost savings but does not include those "gotcha" items that AA tried to shove down our throats!!!!!!!

Sir, your bitterness will be overlooked by the 3800 flight attendants whose jobs will be saved by this proposal......and also by those long term flight attendants who finally have a decent early out proposal and won't lose their retiree medical benefits!
I thought that AA was talking about reducing FA headcount by about 2,300. Was the number really 3,800?

Those retirement benefits will go bye-bye in the next bankruptcy. That's how it's done. Stick around and you'll see.

We NYers think of NJ people as yokels. I think "Jersey Hick" is the term. Now I know where it comes from.
The entire term sheets that US has proposed are based on an unsustainable business model... neither AA or US have what it takes to compete against DL, UA, or WN yet there are employees at both companies who think they will be better off by accepting promises that can easily be wiped out in BK - which is exactly where a combined AA/US would end up based on these term sheets.

There will always be people who will avoid doing what is necessary to face reality only to pay a higher price down the road.
AA employees are where they are right now because the company didn't get costs down to levels comparable with other BK carriers - including UA and US at the time - and then didn't run w/ the cuts they did have.
AA employees who accept US' terms are setting themselves up for round three which will be far more costly....
but since the non-labor creditors are also part of the decision making process and they can see through what US is proposing, it is very likely they will vote no because another BK will wipe out their recovery.
Thus, the chances that non-labor creditors and mgmt will agree to these terms are very unlikely.

I thought that AA was talking about reducing FA headcount by about 2,300. Was the number really 3,800?

I misspoke. It was 2800. 2300 in the term sheet and another 500 that they got in overage leaves. Still a lot of people that can still pay their mortgage, rent, car payments,etc...

I misspoke. It was 2800. 2300 in the term sheet and another 500 that they got in overage leaves. Still a lot of people that can still pay their mortgage, rent, car payments,etc...
No worries. It happens. Ideally, incentives could convince the top 2,800 to leave (early out proposal) rather than furlough the bottom 2,800.

[/quote

Wow, you should run for the angriest New Yorker contest.

You may want to read the latest apfa hotline with usairs contract proposals and compare it to AA's termsheet and maybe you will think different. Bottom line is that their proposal puts lots more money in my pocket!
It sounds like they can come to more agreements than AA and APFA. :)

"[A]nyone who thinks that US can build a business plan that includes preserving over 2000 jobs that were otherwise going to be cut and then offer pay and benefit raises right out of the box is incredibly naïve.”
It’s not only about preserving jobs. It’s about preserving the airline.

Perhaps it’s time to talk turkey with people interested in creating something new.

Frankly, I never took the merger seriously until APFA said that they were behind it. Are they really? Are they only using it as a bargaining chip? I don’t know. :rolleyes: AA had their chance and they ran the airline into the ground. :eek: Maybe it’s time to talk turkey with US. It’s time to urinate or refrain from using the lav.

This deal has a lot of cost savings but does not include those "gotcha" items that AA tried to shove down our throats!
AA is interested in removing incentives that made the job worth while. <_< US is interested in making us happy so that we support the merger. :)

I would say to AA, as Janet Jackson once said, “What have you done for me lately?” <_<

This new suitor may be more attractive. I can be wooed. :D

Let's not forget that AA has until at least September to come up with the plan as per 1113. Regardless of what the creditors or unions or Parker wants.
But here's how it might play out......AA unions get their term sheets imposed on them after the judge abrogates...these term sheets will enable AA to kick up a little more to the creditors to fend off any merger because of the $$$$$ being slashed.. AFTER AA exits bankruptcy and becomes profitable, AA will decided who and when to merge with.

Just my opinion.

However, I would love to ask all the pro US/AA merger advocates how will you all react if there is a merger and Parker reneges on whatever it is he is promising the unions..?

I can picture it now, months after a merger, AA unions picketing in Tempe, AZ how Parker lied to them..

Unions never learn their lessons!

hopeful i forone am not a fan of aa/us merger but the way i see it its more thanlikely gonna happen. as for that very last line you said, what ceo doesnt lie to their employees parker is out for his big money and the he!! with everyone and everything else. i would not put anything past parker to not following thru on his promises. but given AA's strong representation its possible that he will have to go thru with his promise

“I would love to ask all the pro US/AA merger advocates how will you all react if there is a merger and Parker reneges on whatever it is he is promising the unions?”
Contracts are contracts. US may be able to actually run an airline.

“I can picture it now, months after a merger, AA unions picketing in Tempe, AZ how Parker lied to them.”
It seems to be that US would be interested in making it work after such an investment.

“Unions never learn their lessons!”
That’s true. They always ask for too much.

Back