Us Airways Machinists Blast Ceo

usfliboi

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
US Airways machinists blast CEO
Union asks Siegel to change, leave or hand over duties to someone else
Thursday, April 01, 2004

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

US Airways' hopes for labor harmony -- or at least not outright acrimony -- as it moves to ask unions for more givebacks got off to a rough start this week, with the top leaders of the machinists union calling the airline's chief executive a "miserable failure."

In a tough-worded letter to 9,500 union members, International Association of Machinists District 141 and 141-M presidents Scotty Ford and Randy Canale demanded that CEO David Siegel change his ways or "step aside and give the job to someone capable of handling it."

See Article

Theres nothing new here. Iam has never gotton along with any management this company has ever had. Even with Uncle Eddie, who to some was a Pro Union Man, Iam has a track record of being un professional. All one needs to do is to ask other non iam memembers, youll hear and see the opinion deeply imbedded. Iam has some great men and women. it is a shame that they have to be represented by the types who will continue to be in their own denial and are deeply entrenched and headed towards implosion! On cnbc this morn an airline anyalist said US was in danger of filing yet another BK . If this happens, IAM is finished.

Show me what union that has gotten along with all their CEOs all the time.

Show me how the IAM has a track record of being unprofessional?

That is why we have over 637,000 members.

Once again you are not an IAM member and never have been, it shows your hatred towards unions.

And Colodny was not pro-union, go ask the Fleet Service agents who Ed pulled out all the horses to prevent them from unionizing several times, he even went as far to mail each and everyone of them the "Colodny Gaurantee", with 25 cents attached to it to call him for any problems. Then once they failed to unionize, he plundered their wages, benefits, work rules, vacation and pension once again.

Like the article states, dave got what he asked for, his plan is a failure like he is, last time I checked executives run the company and make all the bad decisions, not the workers or unions.

It seems you omitted some facts, so I posted them for you.

And why is the AFA and CWA taking the same stance as the IAM, but yet you are not criticle of those unions?

Could you be afraid that the IAM is gonna prevail and then you are gonna have to wipe the egg of your face?

You can sign your paycheck over to dave, but don't tell other unions and its members on how we should deal with the company, the very same company who lies, cheats and steals from its employees.

The same company that chooses to negotiate in public, not in private and you wonder why the IAM does not want to deal with him.

So fliboi, please explain to me how this is any different then the CRAP the Pilot group is pulling with CRJ701. They are sitting on the Ramp in Day and CAN NOT be flown to help the Company. PSA is a WHOLLEY owned company of USAirways Group. So tell me please..................

usfliboi said:
US Airways machinists blast CEO
Union asks Siegel to change, leave or hand over duties to someone else
Thursday, April 01, 2004

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

US Airways' hopes for labor harmony -- or at least not outright acrimony -- as it moves to ask unions for more givebacks got off to a rough start this week, with the top leaders of the machinists union calling the airline's chief executive a "miserable failure."

In a tough-worded letter to 9,500 union members, International Association of Machinists District 141 and 141-M presidents Scotty Ford and Randy Canale demanded that CEO David Siegel change his ways or "step aside and give the job to someone capable of handling it."

See Article
Sounds like to me the US Airways machinists are strongly encouraging Siegel to take the $4,200,000.00 and run.

700, Im not sure what "prevail" means to you. Could you elaborate on that ? What would you see as a prevailing victory? There is a difference between a unin and company going through the normal everyday disputes and disagreements and down right unprofessional tactics. Work stoppage is an avenue some legally can take, but have witnessed numerous "slowdowns" that only damage all of us. I used Uncle Ed since many of your co workers at iam felt he was about his word and was a good union man . Iam needs to focus on achieving something postive here and stop focusing on the messenger.... Am i crtical of my union ? YES. I know Perry and I dont agree with some things he does. Most unions leaders with our company has zero avenues to go down. All a union leader can do now is moan , yell, scream. In that respect they are doing a great job. Im not sure what you expect from your union in times like these. They will not be able to help you. Oh you migh succeed in certain arbitrations etc but the end result will be the same . What about that do you not understand. In the end another BK filing is possible and in fact likely. How do you think IAM and others will fair?

637,000 members down from what a few years ago? You can bet the IAM will cave to the companys request by June. Talk tough now and strike another all time low wage to keep us as one of their dues paying 637,000 members. Why is there still no justice being served to the Expressed membership who are paying nearly 4x their hourly rate in dues???? Many have called their local only to get lip service on the issue. We are looking into it, but since only a small group are affected it is on the back burner.....So much for it being against the IAM bylaws I guess.

Hope777 said:
So fliboi, please explain to me how this is any different then the CRAP the Pilot group is pulling with CRJ701. They are sitting on the Ramp in Day and CAN NOT be flown to help the Company. PSA is a WHOLLEY owned company of USAirways Group. So tell me please..................
This also sounds a lot like the COMPANY parking the Airbus aircraft instead of having them maintained by the IAM like they AGREED to.. [and people wonder why we had a LOSS last quarter]PATHETIC

Hope777 said:
The pilot group wants them flying as well...at least most of them do. What we have here is a procedure on the MEC where four members can hold the rest hostage. Politics... :angry: .

A320 Driver B)

It appeared to me that all those 4 guys (whom, by the way, represent THE MAJORITY of ALPA members) are asking for is for this management team to live up to the agreements they already made. I didn't see ANY new items in that resolution. The company could have this deal done in an hour. All they would have to do is honor their past agreements with ALPA. HONOR and INTEGRITY MEAN NOTHING TO THIS MANAGEMENT! A large part of UAIR's financial dilemma is that Wall street doesn't believe a word of what they say either! :unsure:

usfliboi,

A lot of us are finished anyway no matter if US closes the doors now or later. What does it really matter. Why do you feel the need to call the IAM unprofessional because they have the guts to stand up to the so called management of this company.

They and all other groups have been lied to, had contracts broken, work taken away and our hard earned money stolen from us and with no results. Just because they are not willing to bend over again after being crapped on for so long does not mean they are unprofessional. Actually it is quite the opposite. They more than any other group have a backbone and are not afraid to stand up for themselves. So far they have not let themselves be bullied into putting more of their money into Dave's pocket and apparently they have enough confidence in themselves and their skills and are not fraid of this company turning out the lights. They know they will be ok no matter what the outcome.

The members of the AFA, CWA and IAM should stick together this time. Workforce consessions will not save this company! This company needed stong industry savvy management 2 1/2 years ago. We needed to implement a plan 2 1/2 years ago. With this management team there is no future.

Bobcat,

Very well said, I could not agree with you more. People throughout history have been chastised for standing up for their rights, they need to be praised!

Bobcat,
I too agree with your post. Employee concessions will not save U.. This in my opinion is the companies attempt to break up the Unions.. United we all should STAND.. We as a collective Force gave over 1 billion dollars in concesions, with all unions participating.. in my opinion, the concession stand should be closed.

mweiss,

Please tell me, what has the IAM done that is so wrong? Fight for work that should rightfully be theirs, refuse to open up their contract to an inept CEO to be raped and pillaged once again or is it asking for Dave to step down, which most think would be in the best interest of US?

What is wrong with any of what have done so far?