US Airways Poor Stewards of the Community

LCC_#1

Veteran
Nov 16, 2005
Visit site
On November 2, 2006, a fire destroyed Eastern Guilford High School outside of Greensboro, NC...a once Piedmont/USAir stronghold. A fire started in the chemistry lab. Luckily the students were evacuated and nobody was injured. The students are now spread out over two places in the county as temporary homes, splitting the student body apart. The new school is scheduled to be openned in 2010.

While I did not GO to Eastern Guilford, I went to Southeast Guilford, a sister school. I guess because of the proximity, my heart really went out to the students, teachers, parents, alumni, and the entire community. A school burning down is a rare experience and all I could think about was the lives of the students and how disruptive their lives have now become, ESPECIALLY the seniors. Folks, almost EVERYTHING that didn't make it out (files) was destroyed. Only memories remain.

I feel in times like these, major corperations should be good stewards of the community. In the case of a company like US Airways, the arms of her community run from Hawaii to Europe. Not only is this great PR, but the RIGHT thing to do.

OR I THOUGHT!!

I decided to write the company about what happened and how wonderful it would be to either donate money for their eventual new library or perhaps do something special for the seniors, considering their senior year has pretty much been disrupted at best. The following was the response I got:

"I was forwarded the email below and wanted to respond to your request. While I commend you on wanting to do something to assist the students, budget constraints and limited resources prevent us from being able to provide the assistance you are requesting. I hope you have a great day."

HUM......Does this mean no ride to the North Pole event that is provided at LGA every Christmas? We spend "resources" for decorations, refreshments, gate space, and an airplane that rides around the taxiway wasting fuel at over $60 a gallon. Oh, I forgot, it's the children.

Also, we really have the "resourse" to make 35,000 I MAKE US FLY pins that few even picked up?

I responded that the answer was unacceptable as the company would write the items off at the end of the year. Then I made the mistake of suggesting that the results would had been different had the fire burned down a local PHX school. The response?

"I assure you the same answer would have been given if a local PHX school had been affected"

Both respones were from Julie (didnt feel I should give a last name).

I find it amazing that the focus was on the last part of my response and nothing about the fact that it's now the end of the year and US Airways would be writing off a slew of items.

Now I know what many of you are thinking. We DON'T have alot of money and we can't give out to everyone that ask. but we are not talking about an everyday tragedy. How many times have we heard of a school burning down? I can think of 0!!

When I received these emails, I don't know which I felt the most...disappointment, anger or just plain embarrassment for a company that DOES have the "resourses" and hides behind the curtain of budget constraints to justify poor community stewardship. While one should never give to receive back, the amazing PR US Airways would had gotten throughout the Carolina's was lost again by the power of the uncaring bean counters of the new US Airways.

For what it's worth, here is a link if any of the common little folk have the "resources" to give or for those who don't have budget constraints. Oh, remember your gift is tax deductible...something MARKETING or whoever the heck is in charge in Tempe forgot.

Eastern Guilford High School Fire

How To Help Eastern Guilford

Are you Kramer?

Kramer: Oh, they can just write it off.

Jerry: Write it off? Do you even know what it means to write something off?

Kramer: Of course I do. It means just that– you write-it-off.

Jerry: Kramer, you have no idea what a write-off is.

Im sorry you feel this way but there are literally tons of people hitting everybody up for money. Yes it is tax deductible but it does not mean every body has an unlimited budget. Budgets and allotments are set up far in advance in every company. The degree of unnassaigned money carires from comapnny to company. Some set aside money knowing exactly who will bre ceieveing it. Others leave some unassaigned for new organizations or opportunites that arise.

If I were you I would go after RJ Reynolds I hear that they have more money than many small countries and they are based in the Triad.

Are you Kramer?

Kramer: Oh, they can just write it off.

Jerry: Write it off? Do youeven know what it means to write something off?

Kramer: Of course I do. It means just that– you write-it-off.

Jerry: Kramer, you have no idea what a write-off is.

Are you George W. Bush?

Spin it anyway you like.

I'm not sure or really care where your going with this. Poor stewardship is poor stewardship any way you dress it.

Something else I thought of:

1) This was a public school. Why the frick should US Airways donate anything to an institution that spends enormous sums of money and is 100% taxpayer financed?

2) Outside of the local Greensboro area, nobody gives a crap. The only non-local people who would care are people stuck in the "good old days" of high school. Time to move on. This reminds me of those dumb twits who paint their high school motto on their parent-provided bright yellow SUV while destined to head a life of "would you like fries with that?"

For the first time in a really long time, I actually agree with US Airways on this one. There are a million better things US can do than donate money to a high school that burned down in some stupid hick town.

Are you George W. Bush?

No. I think he is the worst President we have had in over 100 years.

Spin it anyway you like.

I'm not sure or really care where your going with this. Poor stewardship is poor stewardship any way you dress it.

What is with the "poor stewardship"? Give us a break. The state of North Carolina is not a US Airways company town (company state). They're not even based on Greensboro! So what if they used to be based in Greensboro?

Feel free to share your paycheck with the high school.

There are a million better things US can do than donate money to a high school that burned down in some stupid hick town.

Hick town kind of like Greenville, SC?

You got your point across and I hear it loud and clear. Nobody cares anymore. Unless you are directly affected, nobody cares.

And yes JS, it IS a public school and YES, JS, insurance will pay for the losses. But insurance and your precious tax dollars won't replace a difficult senior year for many.

And BTW...JS, if you were referring to me as being stuck in the "good old days" you couldn't be further from the truth. Infact, I took a pass on my 25th class reunion because I could care less about that time of my life. But these are kids who are living their high school days NOW and will have the fire of 2006 forever be the dominating part of their year and for the seniors that sux.

And as far as hick town, I guess it would be more meaningfull had it been in a city like LA, Chicago, or Miami. Or maybe it would had gotten more attention had we seen body bags with dead kids in them next to a burned down building?

I mention stewardship because we keep hearing so much about the culture of US Airways. Situations like this are great ways of showing leadership thru caring and helping others. How much money did it take to fly the A320 with the new paint job to 3 or 4 cities across the USA? Why was it necessary? Couldn't we just see it in a picture? It was done because US Airways is a nationwide company now based in PHX. Your arguments about GSO (I do not live there) don't have legs to stand or US Airways could had saved thousands of dollars on an airplane ride to rally the troops.

And I even have to question why our country is going to hell in a handbasket and the rest of the world loathes us. Thanks for reminding me, JS.

Hick town kind of like Greenville, SC?

Exactly. I am going to move as soon as possible. I hate being surrounded by smelly rednecks and Bible-thumping hypocritical conservative so-called "Christians".

You got your point across and I hear it loud and clear. Nobody cares anymore. Unless you are directly affected, nobody cares.

And yes JS, it IS a public school and YES, JS, insurance will pay for the losses. But insurance and your precious tax dollars won't replace a difficult senior year for many.

And BTW...JS, if you were referring to me as being stuck in the "good old days" you couldn't be further from the truth. Infact, I took a pass on my 25th class reunion because I could care less about that time of my life. But these are kids who are living their high school days NOW and will have the fire of 2006 forever be the dominating part of their year and for the seniors that sux.

And how would a US Airways donation replace a difficult senior year?

And as far as hick town, I guess it would be more meaningfull had it been in a city like LA, Chicago, or Miami. Or maybe it would had gotten more attention had we seen body bags with dead kids in them next to a burned down building?

Obviously. No one was killed, so why all the hand-wringing?

Put this in perspective, with the Amish school shooting just a couple of months ago. Having to go to a different temporary school for the rest of one's senior year is not the end of the world.

And I even have to question why our country is going to hell in a handbasket and the rest of the word loathes us. Thanks for reminding me, JS.

That just makes no sense.

Frankly the fact that some of them were cheering the fire and smoking while it was going on is a slap in the face.

Hey more reason that RJ should sponsor the rebuilding building upon a known presence like US had once.

The way teenagers are these days I would not be surprised if one of them started them in the first place.

I have a senior in what I guess many would call a "hick" town in S.C. I would hate to see any kid's senior year tarnished by such an event. On the other hand it's hard for the company to hand out money now a days when we as emplyoees still and rightly so have our hands out. As seen here many would be upset if the company just started giving money away to every good cause. Maybe you could start some kind of fundraiser in GSO and CLT.

Instead of asking for a $ handout, maybe they could donate a ticket for some kind of fundraiser. This wouldnt then be $ directly out of the coffers. If there is a group (PTA, etc) that are doing any kind of promos for the kids, have them contact marketing/sales to see if maybe they would be able to help out. I dont know what the criteria is for this kind of donation, but it could help if they can swing it.