US Airways Poor Stewards of the Community

I have a senior in what I guess many would call a "hick" town in S.C. I would hate to see any kid's senior year tarnished by such an event. On the other hand it's hard for the company to hand out money now a days when we as emplyoees still and rightly so have our hands out. As seen here many would be upset if the company just started giving money away to every good cause. Maybe you could start some kind of fundraiser in GSO and CLT.

Well did I hit a lightning rod!! Wow, never talk to your friends about politics, religion, or money! :lol:

There are ways to donate as I put in the links. THAT has been put into play and yes, it is not the end of their world.

I just saw the story and it tugged at my heart. :wub: Believe me, I'm still trying to figure out why I care so much. :shock:

Geez, I'm not asking for US Airways to rebuild the freakin school. A donation doesn't have to be in the thousands. IT'S JUST A GOODWILL JESTURE, FOR GOD'S SAKE!!

As far as the response about kids cheering as the school burned? There are always those that enjoy that kind of twisted satifaction. I was told of those applauding JFK being killed or 9/11. That doesn't mean we are ALL bad Americans.

Perhaps we could send the kids those ice cream coupons. :lol:

Oh well, if anything, it was getting alittle boring on the threads.

the results would had been different had the fire burned down a local PHX school.

Amen. Not that I want to see something like that happen in PHX, but I agree the results would be vastly different.

The Triad was once the HQ of Piedmont, many moons and two mergers ago. It's been very sad to watch the company pull away from the community. Time was, PI/US was the largest private employer, and the largest carrier at GSO...not to mention handy commuter service from Smith Reynolds to CLT. Now, we're barely a blip. Times change. People (and customers) move on to greener pastures. Or Delta.

And I'll take this "hick town" any day over some rattlesnake infested dustbowl.

Go Deacs!

This was a chance to possibly attract NATIONAL Media coverage for a small donation of perhaps some cash and some volunteer time. If it broke nationally US would get the equivelent of millions of dollars of advertising for pennies on the dollar.

Unfortunately a high school fire has a very poor chance of breaking it into the national news.

I feel bad for your high school, really, mine was shut down and is gone now.

But, do you have any idea how many requests like this pass the desk of CA Howlett? Seriously, thousands of requests like these, some asking for a whole lot, some asking for a little bit. I was there, part of my job was getting money for community events, and a public high school built with taxpayer money don't cut it. I'd rather see stuff going to abused women shelters, community food drives and helping out non profits and scholarships.

I'm sorry USAirways couldn't be Santa Claus to you, but do you want them to spend every dime fixing burnt down high schools, or running an airline?

Its a business, not a giant building handing out gifts.

US does do a lot in the community, as HP did, but don't be pissed that they couldn't drop everything and help you, because if they did that to everyone, US would be a great benefactor, and a completely broke company.

Oh, and if you make fun of the spelling or resource, then I can make fun of "jesture"

I am really sorry that this high school burned down.

Thankfully, no one was killed or injured.

Every student has a warm, well-lit, well-staffed classroom to which they can go and continue their education without major interruption.

I have yet to see a high school senior class that was unable to get itself connected socially no matter what the state of their high school building.

What a great lesson in life for these students to see just how fragile and tenuous things can be! This will give them an opportunity to grow in many ways.

No one was killed. No one was injured. No one has their education interrupted. Public, taxpayer-funded building (fully-insured, no doubt.)

Greensboro should count the blessings it has received in the aftermath of this fire, and refrain from passing the cup. What chutzpah to expect USAirways to pony up money for this non-event.

I hope USAirways spends their money on the truly needy. There is plenty of opportunity for alleviation of REAL suffering.

Oh, and if you make fun of the spelling or resource, then I can make fun of "jesture"

Did I make fun of someone's spelling? BELIEVE ME, I have to think about I before E except after C , so I would NEVER make fun of someone's spelling. :lol: :lol:

So tell me is any of this alledged largesse east of say PHX? And if so please enlighten all of us who have NEVER seen US Airways do anything charitable.

Unless Wolf and Gangwal are registered charities. :down:

Good one, Piney! :up:

As for Corporate stewardship, US Airways could have done MANY things to help in lieu of a straight cash donation. It could have reached out to the employees for contributions and then matched what the employees raised, that's good PR for a company that right now needs all it can get.

US Airways for years has had the reputation of being a mismanaged company and bad corporate citizen.

This was a chance to possibly attract NATIONAL Media coverage for a small donation of perhaps some cash and some volunteer time. If it broke nationally US would get the equivelent of millions of dollars of advertising for pennies on the dollar.

DING DING DING!! Ladies and Gentleman, we have a winner!! Someone FINALLY gets it! My point exactly! :shock:

That's one of the reasons airlines are on the verge of bankruptcy. Everyone thinks airlines are a charity.
People always have the hand out.
It's an airplane ride, not a dining experience.

So tell me is any of this alledged largesse east of say PHX? And if so please enlighten all of us who have NEVER seen US Airways do anything charitable.

Unless Wolf and Gangwal are registered charities. :down:
Actually, in the 1990's I was a volunteer at a school for handicapped preschoolers in INT and every year USAir maintenance held a party for the children complete with food and a 'ride' on an airplane where the captain played a tape over the loudspeaker of the plane taking off. It was quite a hit with the kids and their parents.

Latest posts