Us Airways To Revamp Hub Network

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways to revamp hub network

Pittsburgh flight schedule and work force changes will not occur until at least September

ARLINGTON (AP) - US Airways plans to dramatically alter its hub-and-spoke network and will instead emulate the point-to-point network that has been successful for low-fare carriers, the company told labor groups Wednesday.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

The article above said:

A spokesman for the pilots' union said the airline's plan is a solid one.

"We like what we see," said Jack Stephan, a spokesman for the US Airways unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, which had been very critical of the previous management team led by former President David Siegel, who resigned last month. "This may be the first time that US Airways is going to take part in something truly groundbreaking. It's going to be a change to the entire way we operate."

Stephan said the new plan dramatically increases the chances that the union will be willing to accept another round of wage concessions that the airline says it needs to avoid a second trip into bankruptcy.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Doing this costs money. Nobody else wants to pay for it. Nobody else has to pay for it. There is not financial Jeebus that is going to descend from the skies over Pittsburgh and save his people. If you want it, you'll have to finance it. The double bind is: if you do finance it, everyone else will want a piece. By the way, in the U.S. powerful rich folk always get a bigger piece than they really deserve. If you don't like it, change your country's culture and politics. I'm trying, but it's going to be a long haul considering where the U.S. is politically. Diverting attention from the real issue by using old style union tactics is worse than stupid, it's enabling the system to continue.

Let's not forget that ALPA liked what it saw enough with Siegel to go to the table, liked what it saw enough to give up the pension, liked Siegel when he rolled in the door.

ALPA will like anything that keeps the top %51 of the current voting list employed beyond tommorw.

Two more coins for you all to rub together:

This plan seems like US is trying to stop riding a tricycle because it thinks it's ready for a bicycle. Problem is, it's thinking that PIT and LGA will work as training wheels for the PHL and CLT wheels on the bike, when the real problem is none of the wheels have tires, let alone rims. Only spokes and hubs.

Maybe US needs to reinvent the wheel and consider that a combination of hubs, spokes and rims makes whatever you choose to ride more safe and reliable in the long run.

For anyone who isn't reading into the allusions very well, try riding your bicycle or tricycle without one of the aforementioned parts and see what happens.

USA320Pilot said:
The article above said:

A spokesman for the pilots' union said the airline's plan is a solid one.

"We like what we see," said Jack Stephan, a spokesman for the US Airways unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, which had been very critical of the previous management team led by former President David Siegel, who resigned last month. "This may be the first time that US Airways is going to take part in something truly groundbreaking. It's going to be a change to the entire way we operate."

Stephan said the new plan dramatically increases the chances that the union will be willing to accept another round of wage concessions that the airline says it needs to avoid a second trip into bankruptcy.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
USA320Pilot:

Are you aware that many different publications publish the SAME ARTICLE as provided by the Associate Press or other news agencies?

Do you have to post a link to the same content from every Tom, Dick, and Harry newspaper? And then quote the exact same quote over and over again.

ALPA thinks its groundbreaking... we know.

"with or without the employees"... we know.

US Airways is trying to reduce costs... we know.

We don't need 12 threads with one topic, based on the same AP article. Quoting it over and over again doesn't make the opinion more (or less) valid.

I was just wondering, if all of this new point-to-point flying is going to start taking place, where are the planes coming from? Will it be a/c pulled fom existing M/L service or will it be with the new rj's? If Boston, New York, Washington are key bases for the new service, are there enough gates at those cities to acommadate the growth? Just wondering aloud.......

ktflyhome said:
Funguy2: Halleluha!!! Thank You. Thank You. :up:
One only thing i can say about u is that your a great negative cheer leader. Nothing ever a postive word you just goooo with the flow.... Any opinions on world economics of your own?

usfliboi said:
One only thing i can say about u is that your a great negative cheer leader. Nothing ever a postive word you just goooo with the flow.... Any opinions on world economics of your own?
I could say this about you fly kid...no matter what is being said and no matter how insane or asinine it is, you are there saying: That’s Right, That's Right Ok OK I will do it YOU'RE Right, YES YES YES. You never use your head to reason, to question the statements made by the so-called experts. Simply put, you are a follower with no opinion that is original, a carpet to be walked on. So leave KT alone.

usfliboi said:
The one thing we can say about you is we know you are decietful and were exposed for what you really are.

Flyboi: It is none of your business whether I am negative or positive. You just like to pick on me. Have at it.

Thanks for the support Cav. I think he is just jealous cause I wear women's clothes. ;)