USAirways flight attendants lose boarding by seniority greviance

jimntx said:
I am a flight attendant who commuted for over 6 years from DFW to STL--not my choice...when I was recalled from furlough, DFW where I had been based and where I lived was not on the list of available bases I could bid on (LGA and DCA were the other 2 choices.  I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid).  I would have had to move to STL if DOH had been the boarding standard.  Over 90% of the STL f/a base commuted at that time, and almost all of them were senior to me.

As it was, there were a number of times that I had to commute up much earlier than would appear necessary and spend the night at my crash pad because the flights the next morning were already booked with only jumpseats available for f/a commuters.  It wasn't worth risking a missed trip to try to be one of the first two people checking in 24 hours in advance.

If you know you are going to be in the air at the time the 24-hour check-in window opens, then you list for a different flight.  More than one STL commuter never learned that lesson.  They insisted on listing for the last flight that would get them to STL in time for their trip check-in.  Then they would go out to DFW and try to get someone who was checked in ahead of them to surrender their boarding pass because "Man, you gotta let me have your boarding pass.  I already have two missed trips, and they are talking about terminating me."  No, you list for a flight that you have a better chance of getting on.

Neither system is perfect, but I never had a missed trip as a result of commuting, and there are a lot of other PMAA f/as who can say the same who have been commuting for years on the FCFS system.
Thanks. I've taken FCFS with a grain of salt, as I knew it was coming. I figured I'll learn it and deal with. It's different, and most of us don't like change on something like that. I've been non-reving since I was 3 on the seniority based system, so it's just odd. We'll adapt.

pjirish317 said:
That's the company right.But it would have to be for everybody. Including the execs.
No it wouldn't. They get unlimited space positive travel, do you get that?

Also look at your paycheck and look at theirs. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt them the same way.

Reactions: 1 person
WeAAsles said:
I'm sure that the company is more than used to having Grievances and Lawsuits hurled at it. That's what they have a Legal team for. I very much doubt they'll get into the petty realm of retribution.
You don't know the management team you've inherited then.

No it wouldn't. They get unlimited space positive travel, do you get that?

Also look at your paycheck and look at theirs. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt them the same way.

Show me where the execs get unlimited space positive travel. And your right, that sort of policy wouldnt hurt them.

pjirish317 said:
Show me where the execs get unlimited space positive travel. And your right, that sort of policy wouldnt hurt them.
Not just them, but their family members too. A few years back had a PSA F/O whose father was a VP. He was in first class, positive space.

For the most part non-rev travel is a privilege, not a right, unless it is in your contract. It changes from time to time and as the F/A grievance shows, there is little we can do about it.

blue collar said:
You don't know the management team you've inherited then.
Management is management. They all wear the same suits but fire at you from different angles. If you aren't willing and can't adapt then they're going to have you tripping over your own feet. Your choice on that one.

WeAAsles said:
Management is management. They all wear the same suits but fire at you from different angles. If you aren't willing and can't adapt then they're going to have you tripping over your own feet. Your choice on that one.
Whatever you say. Have fun with them and the way they do things.

blue collar said:
Whatever you say. Have fun with them and the way they do things.

It seems that not everyone shares the same perspective blue collar?

http://www.glassdoor.com/Overview/Working-at-US-Airways-EI_IE685.11,21.htm

Employees can now share their opinions about employers online. As a result, companies face new reputation risks that can affect their customers and shareholders.

For the third year, 24/7 Wall St. has identified the nation’s worst companies to work for. 24/7 Wall St. analyzed thousands of reviews from jobs and career website Glassdoor.com and selected the 11 companies with the lowest ratings.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/21/worst-companies-to-work_n_5518392.html

WeAAsles said:
Amen, brother.  I've spent most of my working career (over 50 years) at major corporations or in a government agency.  A PMUS flight attendant sent me a message not to trust the new upper management.  I replied that he was about 40 years too late for that to be new information for me.

Question, I check in 24 hours in advance but can not print a boarding pass.  I go to the airport and use a kiosk to print boarding passes.  Which check in time do I get??  The time I checked in on the computer OR the time I printed boarding passes at the airport??   Thanks 

Hope777 said:
Question, I check in 24 hours in advance but can not print a boarding pass.  I go to the airport and use a kiosk to print boarding passes.  Which check in time do I get??  The time I checked in on the computer OR the time I printed boarding passes at the airport??   Thanks 
The time you checked in on the computer.

If it does not give you a boarding pass when you check in that only means that the numbers will not allow the system to assign you a seat at this point.  However, it should give you the option to print a Priority Verification slip that will get you through security.  Or, did you mean that you (like me at the moment) don't have a working printer?

And, you really don't want the system to assign you a seat.  I remember the last time I non-revved on a domestic flight, there were 27 revenue passengers listed for a 140 seat airplane.  When I checked in the system assigned me 28E, a middle seat with 8 totally empty rows--including one of the window exit rows--in front of it.  :lol:

jimntx said:
If it does not give you a boarding pass when you check in that only means that the numbers will not allow the system to assign you a seat at this point.  However, it should give you the option to print a Priority Verification slip that will get you through security.  Or, did you mean that you (like me at the moment) don't have a working printer?

And, you really don't want the system to assign you a seat.  I remember the last time I non-revved on a domestic flight, there were 27 revenue passengers listed for a 140 seat airplane.  When I checked in the system assigned me 28E, a middle seat with 8 totally empty rows--including one of the window exit rows--in front of it.  :lol:
US's web checkin does not allow you to print a boarding pass or priority verification like AA's system. It just checks you in and puts you on the list. You have to go to a kiosk or ticket counter to get the actual pass.

jimntx said:

And, you really don't want the system to assign you a seat.  I remember the last time I non-revved on a domestic flight, there were 27 revenue passengers listed for a 140 seat airplane.  When I checked in the system assigned me 28E, a middle seat with 8 totally empty rows--including one of the window exit rows--in front of it.   :lol:
If you don't like the seat you were assigned in most cases you can usually ask the agent if they can assign you a different seat if one is available.

Latest posts