USAirways to Take Over DL South America Routes!

So now that it appears that DL could be dismembered in bankruptcy by US, UA and another airline, it's time to speculate on how that might work out. Here's my guess:

ATL -- Goes to UA. UA really could use a southeastern hub and US doesn't need one. Of the possible "third" airlines, none has a burning need for a hub in that region -- although ATL is a strong, growing market and a good facility.

JFK -- Goes to US. Although it is close to PHL, it would allow US to expand its European operation (and probably pull down a couple of marginal routes out of PHL) and create another northeastern connection point to ease chronically congested PHL. Plus, it gives them a viable hub to start real South American routes.

SLC -- Goes to AA. AA has tried to have a signficant hub west of DFW before, and SLC might actually work for them. It wouldn't be a huge operation, but it would fill a gap in AA's network.

CVG -- Dismantled. It could be a focus city for any of the 3 airlines, a la PIT or CLE.

As for the fleet, I'd imagine that AA would take the MD80s; UA would take the 777s, some 767s, most of the 757s; and US would take some 767s, some 757s, and the 737s.

All 3 airlines would gain by filling in holes in their systems and by reducing network carriers overhubbing (CVG) and overcapacity (by parking the MD90s and older 767s).
Thank you, oh wise fortune teller. Do you all really believe a certain pilot at USAirways? Let's get back to conversation in reality :down:

I never said DL would be buying UA’s Pacific routes today … or even next year. I have said and will say again that if UA doesn’t turn things around very quickly, they will have lost the opportunity to get their airline on a strong financial footing before the next industry shakeout will take place. And it will come. Next time it won’t involve a massive rush to the BK steps because some airlines have figured out how to stay out of BK. Consolidation will be the order of the day.

Oh, and Fly, Kuwait is just one of those trashy destinations in the middle east… just like what one of your cockpit brain trusts thinks about Eastern Europe. And UA is not the only US airline in the Middle East and won’t be the only one outside of Israel. Guaranteed.

I’m glad you enjoy my posts. The advertisers on this forum are very grateful for the business I bring them. They also are grateful there is someone who can see beyond the cuticle of their extended finger and recognize that this industry has never been particularly good at recognizing the threats to profitability in the industry and even less adept at reacting (or better yet anticipating) those problems. There have always been “prophets†whose message has never been received.

Some airlines have taken advantage of this business cycle to restructure so they can be successful long-term. You are free to disagree with me but I happen to believe that DL will be a lasting airline for the ages while other more vaunted names like United will pass into history just as Pan Am, Eastern, Braniff, and TWA did.

So now that it appears that DL could be dismembered in bankruptcy by US, UA and another airline, it's time to speculate on how that might work out. Here's my guess:

ATL -- Goes to UA. UA really could use a southeastern hub and US doesn't need one. Of the possible "third" airlines, none has a burning need for a hub in that region -- although ATL is a strong, growing market and a good facility.

JFK -- Goes to US. Although it is close to PHL, it would allow US to expand its European operation (and probably pull down a couple of marginal routes out of PHL) and create another northeastern connection point to ease chronically congested PHL. Plus, it gives them a viable hub to start real South American routes.

SLC -- Goes to AA. AA has tried to have a signficant hub west of DFW before, and SLC might actually work for them. It wouldn't be a huge operation, but it would fill a gap in AA's network.

CVG -- Dismantled. It could be a focus city for any of the 3 airlines, a la PIT or CLE.

As for the fleet, I'd imagine that AA would take the MD80s; UA would take the 777s, some 767s, most of the 757s; and US would take some 767s, some 757s, and the 737s.

All 3 airlines would gain by filling in holes in their systems and by reducing network carriers overhubbing (CVG) and overcapacity (by parking the MD90s and older 767s).
Who would get the Shuttle?

Delta Continues Los Angeles Expansion With New Service to Mexico and Central America
Wednesday September 13, 2:31 pm ET
Airline adds Managua, Puerto Vallarta to list of new markets; increases service to Guatemala City

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 13, 2006 (PRIMEZONE) -- Delta Air Lines this winter will continue its historic expansion between Los Angeles and Mexico and Central America with new nonstop service between the City of Angels and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and Managua, Nicaragua, effective Dec. 15 and 16, respectively. Delta's new service to Managua will operate two-times weekly while flights to the vacation hotspot of Puerto Vallarta will operate daily. Both routes are subject to foreign government approvals.

``Delta's expanded service at Los Angeles will provide convenient access to important cities in Mexico and Central America for a growing customer base in key West Coast markets,'' said Bob Cortelyou, vice president -- Network Planning at Delta. ``With our continued expansion at Los Angeles, next year Delta will proudly offer customers service to nearly 30 Mexican and Central American destinations -- more than twice as many as we offered just two years ago.''

Additionally, in response to strong demand for recently announced service between Los Angeles and Guatemala City, Delta will expand flights to the Guatemalan capital from once weekly to four-times weekly, starting Dec.

wow, for an airline that's gonna be "carved up" they sho is doin' lots a growin' :shock:

WT, did you just compare yourself to a prophet?

I've seen it all now! Do they charge for the extra seat to fit in his ego?

(Here I am, middle of the night in Europe, and 'Osama the prophet' goes and posts that. Had to turn on the light to see the keyboard on my phone just because I can't NOT respond to something as stupid as that. Now I'll never get back to sleep)

``Delta's expanded service at Los Angeles will provide convenient access to important cities in Mexico and Central America for a growing customer base in key West Coast markets,'' said Bob Cortelyou, vice president -- Network Planning at Delta. ``With our continued expansion at Los Angeles, next year Delta will proudly offer customers service to nearly 30 Mexican and Central American destinations -- more than twice as many as we offered just two years ago.''

Additionally, in response to strong demand for recently announced service between Los Angeles and Guatemala City, Delta will expand flights to the Guatemalan capital from once weekly to four-times weekly, starting Dec.
wow, for an airline that's gonna be "carved up" they sho is doin' lots a growin' :shock:
....Nice that they're building the CA & SA service, but the Mexican Svc is just a mild resurrection of the WA routes dumped years ago...

I'm glad you enjoyed it..., Fly.
I am totally flattered that you stay up nights thinking about me.
Don't forget that you have a job to do and I would never want you to be anything less than your usual best while working for the lazy U.

I've got an idea. Since we stay up nights thinking about each other, how about you join me in writing the history of United Airlines? The final chapter should be written within the decade so we'll still both be QUITE young.

So now that it appears that DL could be dismembered in bankruptcy by US, UA and another airline, it's time to speculate on how that might work out.

With posts like this and A320's, I am now convinced more than ever that we need expanded drug testing in the airline industry.

we COULD be hit by a runaway meteor, too!

And to think that reduced crude oil prices are trashing all of these theories of airline takeovers! :D

Don't you just hate it when airlines actually survive on their own? :down:

Don't you just hate it when airlines actually survive on their own? :down:

And pay their bills and their employees without going to court to screw them and then preach about their business savy and how wonderful they are.

Back