What, me worry?

Starting in the late seventies, and continuing to this day, a slow shift in ideology took place in the military. As the influence of unions waned throughout most of the country, a shift to the right dominated the military mindset. If memory serves, a PLURALITY of military members supported Reagans plan to fire the ATC'ers.
Do you have a source for this statistic or is it merely your opinion?

Since you lean toward the right, Im just curious, what are your thoughts on Bush's Temporary Worker Program?

Do you have a source for this statistic or is it merely your opinion?

Since you lean toward the right, Im just curious, what are your thoughts on Bush's Temporary Worker Program?
Mostly opinion, I admit. If any out there can produce numbers showing union membership trends over the last 40 years, I would be very interested. I have heard, however, that membership in Federal Employees unions are on the rise. This is due primarely to the ever growing number of individuals on the govt payroll.
In regards to the shift in conservatism amongst the military, this has been documented in several surveys over the years. I will see if I can dig up specific numbers for you. Until then, I will admit to my statement being mostly based on thousands of conversations I have had over the years with other vets.
As far As Pres. Bush's temp worker plan, boy is that a trip wire subject! In my gut I feel its a bad idea, but rationally thinking, it is unlikely to pass any immigration reform through the Democrats without some sort of amnesty program for the illegals that are actually working and trying to live as Americans. The Republicans in congress want a "Take ALL prisoners, no Amnesty" approach. The Democrats favor an open border plan, with little controls. Neither side wants to risk alienating the hispanic vote with the sides being so evenly split. President Bush is trying to walk a dangerous game right down the middle. He will either broker a successful compromise, or further split the issue and end up torquing EVERYBODY off. I would have to say that this is one of those issues where ya just gotta see what develops. One way or the other, SOMETHING needs to be done.
With all due respect to the moderator, I shall reserve any further comments on illegal immigration for the appropriate forum.

CSAR Thanks for your honest reply and I agree with you on the subject matter being saved for the appropriate forum.

HUH...? :blink:

Please explain how this analogy justifies a former Marine to take the low road and SCAB
The best way I can explain it is this: To me, the term "scab" has no meaning, therefore it carries no stigma. Just as being called an "infidel" by a muslim doesnt exactly hurt my feelings either. To desert a post, however, is near inexcusable. To me, the mission( in this case delivering a safe aircraft on time on target), takes priority over mngmnt, union rules, or sometimes even personal comfort or welfare. I freely admit that this may seem a bit extreme or hard core, but thats just the way I am.
In all fairness to the other side in this debate, over the last few months I have come to realise just how important the union, and all its symbols, are to those on the other side, and while I dont neccesarily understand or agree with them, I wont mock them either. Just as a good Irish catholic is vehemently proud and defensive of the Papacy, so to is a good union man proud of his union and the struggles he endures because of them. While I may disagree with the economics and practicality of modern unionism, I respect the passion in which you defend your institutions. All I ask in return is that you do not judge me simply because I do not follow your particular dogma. My personal honor, integrity, or quality of workmanship have absolutely nothing to do with my particular stand on organized labor, but rather the belief in rugged individualism and hard work ethic instilled in me by my parents, and the do or die take no prisoner beliefs drilled into me in the Corps. I hope this helps clarify things from my perspective. Thank you, and I wish you well in your future endeavors.

The best way I can explain it is this: To me, the term "scab" has no meaning, therefore it carries no stigma. Just as being called an "infidel" by a muslim doesnt exactly hurt my feelings either. To desert a post, however, is near inexcusable. To me, the mission( in this case delivering a safe aircraft on time on target), takes priority over mngmnt, union rules, or sometimes even personal comfort or welfare. I freely admit that this may seem a bit extreme or hard core, but thats just the way I am.

That’s a good excuse….NOT….
It will look good among the list of other lame SCAB excuses.

I am surprised Local 12 rolled over and bought that one so easily… :blink:

Guess he was raised to respect his elders or something…..

That’s a good excuse….NOT….

I am surprised Local 12 rolled over and bought that one so easily… :blink:

Guess he was raised to respect his elders or something…..
Lighten up francis, Show me where I said that was an exceptable excuse for being a Scab. I Detest Strike Breakers and CSAR knows that very well, I've scolded him publically for doing so more than once.

How does acknowledgeing a mans honest answer constitute me rolling over as you put it? I do'nt agree with his position of being a SCAB, Never have and never will...! as for respect for my elders, you assume correct on that one, but that has no bearing on my reply to CSAR.

He gave a courteous answer, and I recipricated with a courteous reply!..Plain and simple.

Lighten up francis, Show me where I said that was an exceptable excuse for being a Scab. I Detest Strike Breakers and CZAR knows that very well, I've scolded him publically for doing so more than once.

How does acknowledgeing a mans honest answer constitute me rolling over as you put it? I do'nt agree with his position of being a SCAB, Never have and never will...! as for respect for my elders, you assume correct on that one, but that has no bearing on my reply to CSAR.

He gave a courteous answer, and I recipricated with a courteous reply!..Plain and simple.
Sorry if I struck a nerve...
Guess I was just checking to be sure it was still there. :mellow:

Latest posts

Back